Deutsche Grammophon's "Original Source" original quadrophonic recordings

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeMonaco

QQ Supporter
Saw this posted on the Tracking Angle website, wondered if others had thoughts on these recordings. I purchased one of the LPs (Schubert: Piano Quintet "Trout") and the sound is terrific (stereo). I'd love to get several of these in quad SACD or Blu-ray -- at a cheaper price, of course.

The Original Source Series - Expert Discussion (full-length)

Here's a link to the albums themselves -- they're not cheap.

The Original Source

Saw this posted on the Tracking Angle website, wondered if others had thoughts on these recordings. I purchased one of the LPs (Schubert: Piano Quintet "Trout") and the sound is terrific (stereo). I'd love to get several of these in quad SACD or Blu-ray -- at a cheaper price, of course.

The Original Source
Actually, DGG has been releasing some exquisite box sets containing RBCDs as well as a BD~A which includes all or most of the RBCD contents either in 5.1 or ATMOS [Stereo is also included] and prices have been more than fair.

Pentatone did release a slew of Philips and DGG 70's QUAD albums a few years ago in the SACD QUAD format. From my recollection, most contained ambient only surrounds but a few were discrete.

I wouldn't be surprised if these DGG QUAD 70's recordings also see a BD~A release.

Thanks for the info, Mike!

Wow--interesting development. I thought the best & most discrete of the old DGG's had been re-released on SACD by Pentatone. I wonder if @Thomas Mowrey could be persuaded to come back and tell us a little about this series?

I totally agree , a master of quadraphonic recording .

Thomas Mowery , was at the very forefront of quadraphonic recording , mostly for DGG with I believe...Boston Symphony Orchestra, when DGG took it over from RCA . Reading articles in Audio Magazine from 1970 plus , confirms they always recorded in quadraphonic, but shelved the Q4 Masters .(as did ...
London , Decca , Phillips, Polygram, Mercury )
His engineering recordings I believe are some of the most discrete , for DGG .
Additionally he was involved for a short time with Peter Scheiber, father of matrix quad...
and his Corporation AudioData. Which promoted the Scheiber matrix quad system .

I think he has a lot of quad stories to share with us at QQ , given his time with DGG. And now that DGG etc are currently releasing those 70's quad albums in bluray.

The Original Source
The Carlos Kleiber/Wiener Philharmoniker SACD of the Beethoven with a surround mix (ambience in the rears), and the blu-ray with a stereo mix, are easy to find for a fraction of the cost of the LP.

I totally agree , a master of quadraphonic recording .

Thomas Mowery , was at the very forefront of quadraphonic recording , mostly for DGG with I believe...Boston Symphony Orchestra, when DGG took it over from RCA . Reading articles in Audio Magazine from 1970 plus , confirms they always recorded in quadraphonic, but shelved the Q4 Masters .(as did ...
London , Decca , Phillips, Polygram, Mercury )
His engineering recordings I believe are some of the most discrete , for DGG .
Additionally he was involved for a short time with Peter Scheiber, father of matrix quad...
and his Corporation AudioData. Which promoted the Scheiber matrix quad system .

I think he has a lot of quad stories to share with us at QQ , given his time with DGG. And now that DGG etc are currently releasing those 70's quad albums in bluray.
Mowrey last dropped by here a few years ago (his first visit was in 2015, when he was the center of an entire thread) but he hasn't posted since then, and hasn't logged in since May of this year. He speaks at length about the history and technical aspects of classical surround quad recording beginning at 32:38 of the "Original Source Series" video.

http://quadraphonic.info/Thomas_Mowrey/
I have no interest in vinyl, let alone stereo mixdowns of quad recordings on vinyl, so it's hard for me to get terribly excited by this series as they're promoting it. I love the story that Mowrey tells about attending an early demonstration of Peter Scheiber's matrix quad for European classical record execs. Afterwards Peter Berkowitz, who was unimpressed, said that DG wouldn't be signing on. "Why should we pay money to buy clouds and bring rain when what we need is sunshine?" he said. I don't see how these new records let us feel the sunshine, especially when it comes to the 50 or so multi-tracked quads that Mowrey produced. (He discusses those at around 59:00 of the video.) But if they also decide to reissue more of these titles in discrete form on SACD or Blu-Ray--especially if there are any that haven't already been re-released, either on DG or on Pentatone--then I'll perk up.

Last edited:
The Carlos Kleiber/Wiener Philharmoniker SACD of the Beethoven with a surround mix (ambience in the rears), and the blu-ray with a stereo mix, are easy to find for a fraction of the cost of the LP.

and it actually exists in 5.0 and 5.1 mixes. And on DVDA, SACD, and BluRay. But never released digitally in its original 4.0, AFAIK.

the center and LFE appear/sound derived on all of them, i.e., probably aren't really new mixes from multitracks, just 'upmixes' from the old quad masters.

Mowrey last dropped by here a few years ago (his first visit was in 2015, when he was the center of an entire thread) but he hasn't posted since then, and hasn't logged in since May of this year. He speaks at length about the history and technical aspects of classical surround quad recording beginning at 32:38 of the "Original Source Series" video.

I have no interest in vinyl, let alone stereo mixdowns of quad recordings on vinyl, so it's hard for me to get terribly excited by this series as they're promoting it. I love the story that Mowrey tells about attending an early demonstration of Peter Scheiber's matrix quad for European classical record execs. Afterwards Peter Berkowitz, who was unimpressed, said that DG wouldn't be signing on. "Why should we pay money to buy clouds and bring rain when what we need is sunshine?" he said. I don't see how these new records let us feel the sunshine, especially when it comes to the 50 or so multi-tracked quads that Mowrey produced. (He discusses those at around 59:00 of the video.) But if they also decide to reissue more of these titles in discrete form on SACD or Blu-Ray--especially if there are any that haven't already been re-released, either on DG or on Pentatone--then I'll perk up.

Well I like that DGG is NOW!! releasing said quads on Bluray and on their own label .......also true for Phillips , London , Decca , Polydor , and I think maybe Mercury.

I do have one Pentatone , not by Thomas , and it does put something in the rear channels...other than ambience. Although I should really seek out Thomas Mowery's mixes ....known for their Surround exhibition.

I was reading an olde edition of High Fidelity magazine and it contains a picture of Thomas discussing his mix with Polydor's Arthur Fiedler., circa 71.

DG quad releases were in CD-4.

DG quad releases were in CD-4.
Right. (Well, that is to say...see @fredblue's post, below. It's true that the DG brass preferred discrete quad to matrix, and, apparently, that they made some CD-4 test pressings. But otherwise...) But the new vinyl remasters are stereo.
Well I like that DGG is NOW!! releasing said quads on Bluray and on their own label .......also true for Phillips , London , Decca , Polydor , and I think maybe Mercury.
A few, yes. And some new Atmos mixes, too, both Blu-Ray and (mostly) streaming. I think Carmen is the only one of Mowrey's so far, but I could be wrong. And while that one is exceptionally good, it was also previously released on Pentatone.

Last edited:
AFAIK all of the DGG releases of their 'quad' catalog in digital, have been upmixed to at least 5 channels.

If not, please LMK.

AFAIK all of the DGG releases of their 'quad' catalog in digital, have been upmixed to at least 5 channels.

If not, please LMK.
The Mozart piano concertos Blu-Ray with Friedrich Gulda included the original quad mix. Ditto for the Bernstein Carmen. Possibly also the Kleiber Beethoven set?

Back