Deutsche Grammophon's "Original Source" original quadrophonic recordings

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Kleiber set, I don't recall any true 4.0 on it, though I should probably double-check.
It appears to be an upmix on the SACD.

IMG_4942.jpeg

Wow--interesting development. I thought the best & most discrete of the old DGG's had been re-released on SACD by Pentatone. I wonder if @Thomas Mowrey could be persuaded to come back and tell us a little about this series?
There's a Zoom panel discussion of the DG Original Source series at . I participated along with Johannes Gleim, head of the Legacy project at DG, Rainer Maillard and Sidney Clare Meyer from the Emil Berliner Studios, and two vinyl experts, Mark Ward and Michael Fremer. It's an hour-and-a-half long and pretty much tells the whole story behind this series and its quadrophonic precursors. Nice to see that people are still interested, half-a-century later!

There's a Zoom panel discussion of the DG Original Source series at . I participated along with Johannes Gleim, head of the Legacy project at DG, Rainer Maillard and Sidney Clare Meyer from the Emil Berliner Studios, and two vinyl experts, Mark Ward and Michael Fremer. It's an hour-and-a-half long and pretty much tells the whole story behind this series and its quadrophonic precursors. Nice to see that people are still interested, half-a-century later!

Great to hear from you, @Thomas Mowrey! Indeed: @MikeMonaco inaugurated this thread with a link to that fascinating Zoom conversation. There are still plenty of admirers of your work here on QQ, as you know. Wonderful to see these titles back in the public eye--although for us surround fans it's frustrating to see them issued as stereo mix-downs (and on vinyl!). Do you know if there are plans to reissue any of them--especially any of the 50 or so that you worked on that haven't already been reissued by Pentatone or DB--in discrete, high-resolution, quadraphonic form, either on Blu-Ray or SACD?

@Thomas Mowrey
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong ...but isn't the bluray/cd set of "Carmen"
Issued by DGG , approximately 2 or 3 years ago .., one of your mixes Thomas ?
I don't have it , though I noticed it listed on the hirezaudio site.

@Thomas Mowrey
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong ...but isn't the bluray/cd set of "Carmen"
Issued by DGG , approximately 2 or 3 years ago .., one of your mixes Thomas ?
I don't have it , though I noticed it listed on the hirezaudio site.
Yes, the Carmen recording has the original mix with 360 degrees of direct sound sources on both the DG Blu-ray and the Pentatone SACD.

Back