Discogs - Late to the game - FYI

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddahl44

So as an admitted compulsive buyer, I have used (almost) exclusively eBay or Amazon for my used disc buying. I made my first Discog purchase of a hard to find Nektar disc in preparation for the Cruise to the Edge. Lo and behold they have an app where you simply scan the bar code of your discs, and voila! You have an inventory of your collection. Not only that it gives you an estimate of its value (ie how much you might have spent - gulp!). I won’t be sharing this app with my spouse. Eek!

I have sold a few things and I have bought a LOT on Discogs ... what I am not a big fan of from their "policy" is that they ban the selling of "non official" releases and yet they do NOT pay any fees for selling user's OFFICIAL releases...

Lo and behold they have an app where you simply scan the bar code of your discs, and voila! You have an inventory of you

I use that feature to keep track of my multi-channel collection. It’s great to pull it up on my phone to check if I have a particular title so I don’t double buy.

I have sold a few things and I have bought a LOT on Discogs ... what I am not a big fan of from their "policy" is that they ban the selling of "non official" releases and yet they do NOT pay any fees for selling user's OFFICIAL releases...

Ill second your thoughts of not allowing 'unofficial ' releases, but they will turn a blind eye on counterfeits from that one European nation that none of us appreciates or likes

I use discogs "Random Item" feature on the daily.
Keeps my listening fresh and varied.
discogs-random.PNG

Perhaps because I am buying a lot of music from overseas, but the shipping costs on Discogs often seem to be pretty high.
Yes, I agree. Saying costs are 'pretty high' is being kind!
I've also purchased some from overseas sellers on discogs. Many were very fair.
Some of these US domestic sellers want a ridiculous amount for shipping within the US🥴.
Don't know if the seller sets the shipping costs or discogs does.....?

Yes shipping is high, in fairness not all Discogs fault BUT. I have been making quite a few purchases lately but will check over the sellers other listings first. Often you can ship several disc's or records for about the same price as one, making the purchase more worthwhile.

As far as selling my listings are still blocked for sale as I have so far refused to complete my shipping profile. How do you set prices when Canada Post shipping rates vary so much? Shipping price depends on weight, package size, destination, shipping method selected! I like to accurately calculate the shipping once the order is picked and packed. Even then some clerks will let you send media mail (cheaply) while others will refuse to do that! If I only sold higher priced items then I would have some wiggle room on shipping.

Some sellers use a work around where they set rates but ask that you not pay until the shipping is confirmed. The problem with that is you could piss people off if you have to ask for more money. Less a problem if you have to reduce the charge or refund some money, but higher quoted rates could discourage customers! So I'm out for now at least.

Part of the problem is that when you search for a CD or LP, it posts something like "Several for sale from $8" or something - and then you click on it and find yourself lucky to find anything less than $20 once shipping is added, making it feel a little like a bait-and-switch. Ebay is usually less expensive if what you're seeking is available....

Part of the problem is that when you search for a CD or LP, it posts something like "Several for sale from $8" or something - and then you click on it and find yourself lucky to find anything less than $20 once shipping is added, making it feel a little like a bait-and-switch. Ebay is usually less expensive if what you're seeking is available....
Yes, I hate that about discogs.😡 Somehow the sales/pricing data doesn't get updated often enough.
It's gotten to where I'm a bit cynical with discogs selling prices because they mostly seem to be too high or inaccurate....
Though, Discogs is still an excellent source for info.

Yes shipping is high, in fairness not all Discogs fault BUT. I have been making quite a few purchases lately but will check over the sellers other listings first. Often you can ship several disc's or records for about the same price as one, making the purchase more worthwhile.

As far as selling my listings are still blocked for sale as I have so far refused to complete my shipping profile. How do you set prices when Canada Post shipping rates vary so much? Shipping price depends on weight, package size, destination, shipping method selected! I like to accurately calculate the shipping once the order is picked and packed. Even then some clerks will let you send media mail (cheaply) while others will refuse to do that! If I only sold higher priced items then I would have some wiggle room on shipping.

Some sellers use a work around where they set rates but ask that you not pay until the shipping is confirmed. The problem with that is you could piss people off if you have to ask for more money. Less a problem if you have to reduce the charge or refund some money, but higher quoted rates could discourage customers! So I'm out for now at least.
I saw a canadian seller saying shipping is 1000$ and when you go to his seller profile, the actual rates are mentioned there

Often shipping will be more than the item cost. As someone who has purchased items mail-order for most of my life that is to be fully expected.

Discogs wants the full price available when you click on the item. That is not possible in as far as I'm concerned!!! Individual sellers are not amazon! We do not control shipping prices! It is not bait and switch at all!

The way it used to work is you could order an item from me, I would calculate shipping based on Canada Posts calculator once I knew the package size and weight as well as destination. Even then sometimes I could get a lower rate if it was allowed to go media mail (letter rate). If I got a cheaper rate when I went to the post office I would refund the difference. If the buyer didn't like the shipping cost they were free to cancel the order. Also they were free to ask for a shipping quote before placing the order!

Back