Dual Disc Donald Fagen Nightfly DualDisc Questions - Please help

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMO, Hybrid SACD and CD+DVD-A were all that was ever needed. DualDisc was completely unnecessary. When you still have Telarc, Concord, Heads Up, etc. releasing BOTH CDs and Hybrid SACDs, that pretty much tells us all we need to know. It's depressing.

Wasn't there some controversy about the DualDisc not being able to hold as much on the DVD-A side as a "real" DVD-A? The whole DualDisc thing really is a thorn in my side, as it seemed to really kill off the legit DVD-A product as well as comitting suicide on its own, thanks in part to Sony. Why the DVD-A group ever went along with it is beyond me.

The DVD side of a DualDisc can only be a DVD5 whereas a proper DVD-A/V can be DVD9.
Stupidity.
The sacred cow of CD compatibility did not help, but the answer was always there all along - CD/DVD double pack.

As for the DVD-A group, there is no such thing. it's all the DVD Forum where DVD-A is a subset of the DVD specifications under a working group.
Oddly enough, guess who are members of this working group, and who also (deliberately?) delayed the introduction of DVD-A whilst pretending to have copy protection concerns? Yep, SONY!
Bear in mind that Watermarking is still unhacked, SACD can be recorded easily.
WHy this was not considered to be a conflict of interest is beyond me.

They must have made a ton of these.

What a shame that the DVD Forum folks let themselves become involved in trying to compete with SACD's CD compatibility when they should have stuck to their own format and promoted it heavily instead of diluting it's potential by adding the confusion of the insane DualDisc. Ranks up there with "New Coke"! :( To make matters worse, their competition (Sony) got involved in the "unifying format" and spoiled the pool by filling the racks with crappy DualDiscs offering nothing more than a few videos and an audio track that made little difference to anyone.

Talk about shooting themselves in the foot! In retrospect, they should have taken the DualDisc funds and subsidized hardware manufactures so that EVERY DVD player sold had DVD-A compatibility, even if it was only stereo on the cheaper players, so that market penetration would have been bigger.

Oh well, once again the IF word rears it's ugly head..................

I don't think many of these were made at all. I believe Music For a Song bought the entire remaining inventory from Warner, about 500 pieces and it has taken a couple of years for the company to sell that quantity. Of course the price was much higher a couple of years ago. I stop by the store in Branson a couple of times a year and the price was $17.99 until the last visit when it had dropped to $9.99. I like this DualDisc and I am not aware of any differences between the DVD side and the original proper DVD-A.

Neither version was a good seller obviously and I don't have a clue how many of either were made other than not many. I did communicate with an individual at the company for a while two years ago and all of the remaining quantity of the various Warner test market DualDiscs ended up in their possession was my understanding. I also purchased R.E.M. "Automatic for the People" and passed on a couple of others, I think Linkin Park had one and something else I don't recall.

I can't deny that DualDiscs were a terrible idea but I sure like the ones I own with the only issue being the CD side is hit or miss in my various players. The silly HD DVD combo discs with HD DVD on one side and DVD on the other were stupid too in my opinion but nothing would have been as stupid as the Warner TotalHD with HD DVD on one side and Blu-ray on the other. Fortunately that one remained in the development stage and never saw the light of day.

Chris

Chris,

What a meant is that with respect to the test market DualDiscs, it seems that the Fagen disc was the one produced in the largest quantities. Even when the floor displays were out in Boston at the Best Buys and Towers, the Fagens were in the largest quantity.

IIRC, the AC/DC from Sony was another one out there in bunches. The "Take Five" from Brubeck is the rarest. I managed to get one because I drove up to Framingham the day these things came out. I never found out why they pulled them a day or so later. It's amazing that I actually bought one, since it was only DD. It was probably just to scan for QQ! :D

Chris,

What a meant is that with respect to the test market DualDiscs, it seems that the Fagen disc was the one produced in the largest quantities. Even when the floor displays were out in Boston at the Best Buys and Towers, the Fagens were in the largest quantity.

IIRC, the AC/DC from Sony was another one out there in bunches. The "Take Five" from Brubeck is the rarest. I managed to get one because I drove up to Framingham the day these things came out. I never found out why they pulled them a day or so later. It's amazing that I actually bought one, since it was only DD. It was probably just to scan for QQ! :D

Good find on the Brubeck, if I had that one, I would sell it for sure. I see the AC/DC "Back in Black" for sale at a reasonable price but I don't want it, no surround and I think it received a mass market release anyway.

Chris

Back