DSOTM...Q4....differences...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucanu

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Cabras, Sardinia, Italy, Europe, World, Solar syst
I don't have any Q8 player in my rig, but a question is beating in my head.
Which are the differences between P.F. DSOTM released in Q8 for USA and UK?

The only thing I noticed looking on some pictures I found here and on the web is the tracklist.
US version has a different tracklist (prog 1 is inverted with prog 2), and UK version has Money fading on prog 1 and then reprise on prog 2.

If there's any more differences, can you please make a list?

Last edited:
I don't believe that DSOTM was commercially released on Q4 (reel tape) - only Q8 (8-track cartridge).

In the UK, the 4 channel master for the Q8 of the Dark Side of the Moon used the original 4 channel master tape from the Alan Parsons mix.

When Capitol issued the Q8 of DSOTM in the US, they used (for some unknown reason) the 2 channel SQ encoded quad master which was then decoded using probably what was the best commercially available SQ decoder in 1973 (which isn't saying much!) in order to make the 4 channel master for the Q8. They really missed the boat on this.

I can only imagine why they did this; my guess is that whoever at Capitol who contacted EMI in Britain didn't specify which quad master they wanted and received the SQ master. They probably didn't want to waste time and money (no pun intended :D ) trying to fix this so they just dumped a muddled Q8 of the album which would have really helped sell quad.

James

Lucanu said:
wow....I would say that's funny and sad at the same time....
BTW, if this is what happened at the time, US Q8 version should take an additional value due to this "mistake"....

Well, you'd have to hear the mistake.... it's pretty bad. Granted, I'm no fan of SQ but listening to the US Q8 is quite painful. It's like stereo with an "in-and-out" echo from the rears.

The UK Q8 sounds SOOOOOO much better. :banana:

Good Question! But would it still work since the Q8 is recorded AFTER the decoder. Would all the phase information still be present after the decoding process?

Back