DTS-CD DTS burning / Playback on theatre system - General questions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dZed0105

Hello all!

I was looking around for information regarding burning audio onto cds in a format that could be read by a normal movie theatre's (35mm projector with timecode reading laser) DTS 6D equipment, and I stumbled upon your discussion board.

I was hoping someone could at least point me in an appropriate direction, namely a FAQ or another site devoted to what I'm looking for, or, if possible someone could maybe help with the questions below:

(I apologize if these questions seem a little base. Just to let you know, I did read through many of the posts on this site to try to avoid asking a question that's been asked a million times before, but most of the information I found seemed to deal with situations not completely similar to my own)

1.) Is there a site (FAQ / HOW TO) somewhere (or software) that details how to begin with a normal .wav file of some length, burn that to a cd using __[blank]__ burning software in __[blank]__ format so that it could be read on a DTS system that would be in a normal 35mm movie theatre?

2.) Since I would be playing these cds back while a film would be going through (Purpose: "Artsy @#%$," if you will), will the above software/site deal with any changes regarding the reading of the timecode that's loacted on the side of a DTS compatible piece of 35mm film? Meaning, when you all are burning these DTS discs, could I put these into the system I'm working with, run a piece of film through, and it would begin playing whatever is on the cd "in sync" with the film?

Thanks a ton for any information/help you may have, and I'm sure I'll have more questions as you respond!

I don't think you can do what your looking to do because the movie dts cd's are a different format. I would go to the d.t.s. website and ask them there, in the theatre section and maybe they can give you more info!
Rob |I
www.dtsonline.com/

Go to cinema section

Well, thanks for the information, but I was hoping for something a tad more encouraging! Hehehe...

Anyone else?

Additional concern: Since there is, apparently, a serial number encoded into the timecode on the film, I was wondering if anyone knew if that serial number was at a specific place and, if so, where (I'm assuming somewhere near the beginning. Heh!). Also, if there was a way to find the serial number to a piece of film without the discs (A list somewhere?) and then encode that serial number onto a burnt DTS disc.

I have a feeling that I am in over my head.

Hope someone can teach me how to swim!

You're all ready to kill me by now...BUT! I think I am correct in assuming that the timecode is translated directly into a location in time on the track of a DTS disc, so if I can burn a disc with "whatever" on it with the correct serial number in the right place (I was thinking in place of where you can name a cd in a burner's option), the system will do the rest? What do you think?

Optimistic, or what!

That's all nice thinking, but since the DTS Cinema version is a professional format, you first of all need the DTS Cinema encoder or encoding software. This is big dollar stuff, plus I think those CD's that play in theatres are also encrypted, so you would need the encryption key to make a valid DTS CD. You are correct that it syncs from the SMPTE timecode on the film side (between the sprockets?) How do you plan on making a film with SMPTE timecode on it? I would think the original movie releases have the whole thing mastered at a Telecine facility.

Of course I could be wrong on some of these things, just pulling from a fuzzy memory here....

jay

I am involved in an artistic endeavor using pieces of 35 mm film, mostly previews that are getting tossed. We use pieces of the previews as is, we bleach and paint some, and do just about everything else you can think of to them.

The hope was that we could create a DTS cd with large sections of singular tones on it and have the laser read the timecode, jumping around to the appropriate section, thereby creating "music."

Ummm...I know it would sound weird. But it looks weird, so weird is good. I realize I'm probably whamming against a brick wall with this idea, especially considering this serial number on the film which would nullify any cd that's not the "right" cd.

Yeah. So...Any other ideas/suggestions/criticisms?

Here's my suggestion for more info:

groups.google.com

or alt.audio.dts

That's where I would look....
More info than you can shake a stick at...

Back