DTS-CD's from Polydor Music China.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

britmarc

BON JOVI

"Lost Highway/Greatest Hits"

2-CD Import with 37 Total Tracks of Classic BON JOVI

Includes: "Keep the Faith", "Livin'on a Prayer", "Who Says You Can't Go Home", "Runaway" and many more.

Gold-plated CD's Recorded in DTS 48 khz (Digital Theatre System) Sound

BEE GEES

"Greatest Hits"

2-CD Import with 40 Total Tracks of Classic BEE GEES

Includes: "Stayin' Alive", "Night Fever", "Jive Talkin'", "To Love Somebody" and many more.

Gold-plated CD's Recorded in DTS 48 khz (Digital Theatre System) Sound

NIRVANA

"Best of NIRVANA"

2-CD Import with 37 Total Tracks of Classic NIRVANA

Includes: "Smells Like Teen Spirit", "Come As You Are", "Rape Me", "Heart-Shaped Box", "Sliver", "You Know You're Right", and many more.

Gold-plated CD's Recorded in DTS (Digital Theatre System) Sound

THE EAGLES

"Their Greatest Hits"

Hard to Find Import 2-CD Set; Gold Discs in an Amazing Digipak w/Booklet

24-bit DTS (Digital Theatre Sound); Superb Sound!

Manufactured and released in China on the Elektra label in 2007.

Do any members have these discs and can they confirm the dts details and whether they are stereo or ( Fingers crossed ) multi-channel...?

All the best.

Britmarc.

I don't even need to go to ebay or any other site and I can tell you these are all pirated CDs. 100% sure.

First of all, Elektra is not a label used in China....all Warner Music release outside of the US, aside from Japan, use the WEA (Warner/Atlantic/Elektra) moniker. Polydor?? Polydor, as a label, only shows up on reissues. Polydor, or PolyGram, is now better known as Universal Music. And why dts? If these companies didn't even want to release SACDs (Hong Kong Warner Music released SACDs and HK Universal is also a supporter of the format), why go after dts?

DTS CD looks like 16/44.1 stereo WAV.
This is so it can be put onto a CD.
48KHz DTS is for DVD, not CD.
DTS is lossy anyway, but in a different way to DD.
Stereo DTS will be from either 24/44.1 or 24/88.2 files, and again they will look like 16/44.1 WAV as the encoding process creates a fudged header to allow it to be written to CD.

I will check with DTS on the legitimacy of these - and will ask our guitarist (who just happens to be a retainered lawyer for Universal.....)about Polydor Music China.
Got a URL for these??

Gold CD's or not they would not be at 48k. DTS Cd's are 44.1k

I don't know if this is entirely true. Of coarse a DTS CD is 44.1/16. But I've done some experimenting using a program called DVD Shrink that will write a Audio TS and Video TS to a standard CD-R. I've taken DTS tracks off of a DVD-V and re-authored a new A/V TS (less than 700MB) and burnt them on a CD-R. My Pioneer 578 would read it as a "miniDVD".

More on "miniDVD". Read the info on "cDVD": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiniDVD

Not all players will read "miniDVD". I know the Pioneer 45a does not. I haven't tried it on my LG or Oppo players.

So I assume that a 48k DTS will still play at that rate when authored as a "miniDVD" on a CD-R.

Spence

Spence.
You will not get a 48KHz track encoded as DTS-WAV. To be written as a DTS-CD, it has to be 44.1 or 88.2KHz.
A so-called "miniDVD" on CD is one of those oddities that will not play back properly on all players - it's not guaranteed.
It's out of spec.
a 48KHz DTS file encoded as a .dts or a .cpt file is a DVD type, where a DTS-CD is a file that looks like a 16/44.1 WAV file.
It isn't, of course - it just has the headers for that.

My point stands, AFAIK.

I will check with DTS on the legitimacy of these - and will ask our guitarist (who just happens to be a retainered lawyer for Universal.....)about Polydor Music China.

Please keep us updated on this. I had a thread on stevehoffman.tv on potentially counterfeited CD/LP issued by ABC Records of China (some of its CDs are sold here in the US at Walmart). The LPs were claimed to have been remastered by Mark Levinson (the person) and I received a positive confirmation from MK himself from his Red Rose Music's e-mail. However, that still left a big question mark on the violation of rights to the music.

For what it's worth, my wife bought a stack of conventional CDs when she went to China a couple of years ago. They were all Chinese pop and traditional, but all of them had little symbols on the back for DSD, 24 bit and so on. And, believe me, they were nothing special sound-wise. So I think they kind of slap those symbols on kind of willy-nilly over there, more for decoration than anything else.

For what it's worth, my wife bought a stack of conventional CDs when she went to China a couple of years ago. They were all Chinese pop and traditional, but all of them had little symbols on the back for DSD, 24 bit and so on. And, believe me, they were nothing special sound-wise. So I think they kind of slap those symbols on kind of willy-nilly over there, more for decoration than anything else.

Sounds like your wife purchased some pirated CDs :(

I purchased a Beatles No 1 CD, Santana All that I Am, Rolling Stones A Bigger Bang and Phil Colilins Hits in an up-market CD/DVD shop near the 2nd ring, in Beijing, in late 2005. They looked legit, proper packaging and had markings stressing DTS, Direct Stream Digital Compact Disc etc. The DTS logo on the spine, front and back of the case was prominent. The branding on the rear was given to DTS Sony Phillips SACD and Universal in a very small logo. There was a box on the right hand bottom with DTS and a box in Mandarin explaining DTS. Each disc was in the deluxe fold out paper sleeve with English and Mandarin. All discs were 2 Cd sets (which I queried at the time).They were slightly different versions to the official releases in that the had extra tracks to the original. Disc 2 was a pourporri of greater or other hits. Otherwise they looked legit. The same discs were in other shops in the same area (which was full of prestige shops) together with other new releases. They looked similar to the DVD/CD releases of the last few years.

After the wrapping came off they were standard stereo CD's in every respect, proper pressings not CDR's. DTS was prominent on the disc label. There was no DTS or SACD apparent when played. Disappointing but unsurprising.

Internally there were more clues. The Beatles No1 paper inlay back cover had a picture of Paul McCartney and Wings and included the proper 1st disc on Disc 1 with lyrics and inclusions on disc 2 such as Baby Your a Rich Man,Im So Stupid (Hmm), The Inner Light, Like Dreamers Do and Goodbye. With my +3 reading glasses the lyrics were not quite english and have been transcribed phonetically. Quite an effort. I suspect the authors would not have understood the subtleties.

I never gave them much thought after the first disappointment being mainly in the market for DTS or DVD Audio or SACD.

Now you piqued my interest I have dragged them out and in some cases unwrapped them for the first time.

Each of the Discs comes up in Itunes correctly.

The Bealtes No1 Disc 1 Correct Tracklisting, Disc 2 All list and play as their title. Including Woman (sung by Paul McCartney as written for Peter and Gordon), Like Dreamers Do and Goodbye (from Anthology). I realized I dont have these on the Anthology albums. In fact I dont have them at all.

The Rolling Stones Bigger Bang
Come up with a Bigger Bang plus extras on Disc 1 and the 2nd Disc of 40 Licks on Disc 2.

Santana All That I Am
Has the album plus extras on Disc 1 and Ceremonies, Remixes and Rarities on Disc 2

Phil Collins well varying track-listing from the original spread over the 2 discs.

If you want I can probably scan the covers when I get a chance.

I recently came back from China and I bought a few chinese classical music CDs in a shop at Shanghai International airport. They were definitly no pirate copies but they where all marked with DSD, SACD or DTS logos. But all are standard 2 channel stereo CDs with 44.1 kHz sampling frequency. So the logos are there only for decoration andh has nothing to do with recording methods.

They were definitly no pirate copies but they where all marked with DSD, SACD or DTS logos. But all are standard 2 channel stereo CDs with 44.1 kHz sampling frequency. So the logos are there only for decoration andh has nothing to do with recording methods.

Any "legit" music company worth its name will get the logos right since they should be paying for the rights to use those initials. Sounds like pirated CDs to me.

i have the nirvana cd in question - hey the cd is gold and there are 2 of them - however - this is what is always so puzzling to me - the lyrics - uuugghh - if this were just a chinese pirate - why wouldnt they just cut and paste the lyrics - or more realistically , just photocopy the original - instead - the lyrics are an incredible misinterpretation of the true lyrics - SOME OF THEM ACTUALLY BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL LYRICS. why is this - no xerox machines in china - and there are enough printed tell-tale signs it is bad pirate from the start - "all rights of the producer of the owner and the work reproduced reserved. unauthorized copying. hiring, lending public performance" - - the outside says The best of nirvana - polydor - 2cd - 2005 506-0550 - 24bit DTS. on the disc itself -" dts 24 bit g-0550-b" and " isrc cn-f33-04-308-00/a.j6 " and another "isrc cn-e27-02-506-00/aj6"

one of the best lyrics on the cover - sliver "my grandpa had a cigarette - - it touched my arm on accident - - I SWEAR TO gOD IT HURT REAL BAD!"

really not out of line with any of the other lyrics - but as far as cut and paste goes - seems just easier than making this stuff up.

as far as sound goes - i cant hear anything special - or negative - worth the $15 bucks - just for the humor of it - but i might add - this disc is either recorded with some skips or jumps - or my '08 toyota cd player jumps a litttle with it - but doubt it.

oh yeah - barcode - "7 25684 79624 6"

if there are some numbers there that might help someone find the validity or legitimacy of this recording - tell us what you come up with.

w.a.reid

Back