DTS disc reviews

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

ccm0114

I noticed that this forum has separate sections for SACD and DVD-A (hardware reviews, software reviews, etc.), but not a separate section for DTS. Instead, DTS is lumped into other catagories. I wouldn't mind if we had a separate section for reviews of DTS hardware, software (or even reviews of conversions). Or is it a given that DTS is dead, and there will be little or no new multichannel releases from record companies in DTS, and DTS is only good for conversions? I haven't heard anything about record companies giving up on DTS (has anybody else heard anything?), but it seems that there have been little or no new DTS releases. SACD had a bunch of new multichannel releases all at once, but I see only a few upcoming titles. Whereas DVD-A seems to be coming on strong with new releases.

Check out the "DTS Conversion Forum" under "Quadraphonics". The title is a bit of a misnomer since we allow all topics regarding DTS and not just conversion stuff.

Actually there have been more than a few Multichannel SACD releases. Check my list of new Multichannel SACD releases at ourworld.compuserve.com/h...acdnew.htm for a look.

You will also find links there to a listing of upcoming Multichannel SACDs in the US, Europe and Japan.

>>SACD had a bunch of new multichannel releases all at once, but I see only a few upcoming titles. Whereas DVD-A seems to be coming on strong with new releases. <<

But what are your views on DTS? I have seen very few new releases the past year. Is DTS going to the first multichannel process to die off?

It seems that interest in DTS Music Discs is waning now that SACD and DVD-A are in the market.

DTS uses lossy 4:1 compression compared to the lossless hi-rez surround formats (DVD-A and SACD). Abandoning lossy compressed music in favor of lossless hi-rez music is a no-brainer. DTS is still the best choice for DVD movie soundtracks, although (quite unfortunately) they've lost too much market share to their vastly inferior competition (Dolby Digital). Home-brew DTS still seems to be the favored format for quad archivasts and multichannel SACD/DVD-A pirates, but I'm guessing it is just a matter of time before home-brew DVD-A supplants this niche as well. DTS is a great format, but I don't think the format has much of a future. However, the company may still thrive since they seem to have succeeded somewhat in diversifying their market and evolving their business strategy. I wish them luck and hope they succeed, but the cards are stacked against them.

DTS is growing in prominence with movies and DVD Audio discs. If you only have a DVD Video player, you can't listen to the hi rez tracks, but DTS can keep you happy until that day you get a DVD Audio player. So it, as well as Dolby Digital serves as a gateway into the world of DVD Audio, and surround sound music. As for DTS, it is the superior gateway format. It allows one to start a DVD Audio collection before getting a player, as I have done. I very much enjoy my discs, but have no DVD A player. This will always be a niche for DTS, as long as there are converts from the home theater crowd. And there will be those that think DTS is good enough, since it is quite good. They may never get the DVD A player. The resolution difference may not be apparent when they walk into the Hifi store, but the surround will knock their socks off. Surround sound already has new fans, those who have never heard terms such as SQ, QS, and CD-4. DTS is an important part of this. But the DTS CDs will not be produced, except by amateurs converting quad. DVD Audio discs with DTS tracks will take their place.

The Quadfather

Fewer and fewer DVD-A discs are offering DTS tracks. Almost all new releases offer only DD as an alternative for DVD-V consumers. About the only new DVD-A discs offering DTS tracks are coming from DTS Entertainment.

I think the days of the DTS CD are over. DVD-A and SACD are really so much better on my system. But for Movie sound I love it. Susperia in DTS is fantasic.:evil:

I still like DTS Disc's
Alan Parsons - On Air being my favorite.
And you can't find Steve Miller etc on DVD A or SACD yet anyways.
Too bad they are getting out of the DTS Audio disc release biz.
Oh well they are still in it for movies .

Back