DualDisc Approved

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not shooting the messenger, I'm v.grateful for all your advice as ever..
but I'm a bit iffy buying a new BDP, there's nothing wrong with my current one!

Nobody's as surprised (and disappointed) as me at how lacking the Mac is with this Hi-Res/Surround stuff.. I may have got on board with the whole using computer route if I'd got a PC instead.. the only thing I can easily get sussed is DTS 5.1 wav's (like DTS CD rips, etc) but I have to play them back thru VLC - not the most user friendly interface, to put it mildly.. if someone could "do an iTunes" on the surround music catalogue (i.e. sell the music and give you a way to collate it and easily play it back from within one interface) they'd get my business!

It's a surprising turn of events to be sure. Maybe Apple can explain the situation, I can't.

exaSound in Canada is doing a good job of creating their own sound drivers to bring Multichannel FLAC (up to 384k) and DSD (up to Quad DSD 256fs) to the Mac as well as Windows on their e28 DAC. More expensive than an Oppo ($3,299 USD, 3199 EUR via Native DSD) but an excellent way to get in the Multichannel download world. (By the way, the Native DSD price on the e28 includes 7 Free Downloads - Stereo or Multichannel DSD or DXD, your choice. Only for EU residents though. US fans are out of luck here).
https://hardware.nativedsd.com/devices/exasound-e28

There are a couple more Multichannel DACs on the way. I'm sure they will have Windows support. Not sure what the Mac story will be.

No. The CD format is moribund. Even the RIAA gets this. Here's a recent report.

i'm curious if data in sheet on DVD Audio includes BD Audio as well or it's strictly DVD Audio as an official format?

data.jpg

i'm curious if data in sheet on DVD Audio includes BD Audio as well or it's strictly DVD Audio as an official format?

That's a good question. I suspect that it's just cluelessness on the part of the RIAA, and that they consider Blu-ray to be a video rather than audio format.

my curiosity is because 2014 can be considered relatively as an year of official introduction of BD-A into mass market.
i know, the numbers is quite pity but and so is assortment in selection either DVD-A or BD-A respectively.
but nevertheless the jump from negative minus half million to plus 2,1 million in fact is quite sharp and unusual, giving that
most likely there wasn't increase in sales of hardware means to utilize DVD-A format in it's literal meaning.
on another hand sales of SACD has declined from 1 million to 800K, albeit selection is much better, particularly in classical department.
frankly this is interesting statistic.

Back