DualDisc Approved

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Patrick Cleasby said:
Well, at the risk of provoking the usual howls of disbelief, I enquired if this news might unblock the JB logjam, but the answer came back that we're now looking at the autumn for ROE!

Did they specify autumn of which year...? :p

bizmopeen said:
Did they specify autumn of which year...? :p

There is some good news:

"ROE will not be a dual disc - the content is too special to reduce to a D5.
Not sure what the final config will be, but it will probably be a CD/DVD combo release."

Release date close to being set apparently.

Patrick,

Maybe so on the release date for ROE, but what year it will be scheduled for is definitely up for debate, healthy skepticism and even mockery are warranted given how long this title has been toyed with.

Cheers,

John Kotches said:
Patrick,

Maybe so on the release date for ROE, but what year it will be scheduled for is definitely up for debate, healthy skepticism and even mockery are warranted given how long this title has been toyed with.

Cheers,

As I have said before, maybe it is time they "filled up". :rolleyes:

Guy Robinson said:
As I have said before, maybe it is time they "filled up". :rolleyes:

Indeed. I have just received a strong intimation that we're looking at September for a full Dual Disc launch, entirely consistent with ROE now being "Autumn" (even though ROE will be a DVD-9 - maybe they're just looking to relaunch the DVD-A format (again!) on the back of Dual Disc).

Good news, Patrick. At this point, if they release ANYTHING I will be happy!

Patrick Cleasby said:
Indeed. I have just received a strong intimation that we're looking at September for a full Dual Disc launch, entirely consistent with ROE now being "Autumn" (even though ROE will be a DVD-9 - maybe they're just looking to relaunch the DVD-A format (again!) on the back of Dual Disc).

Patrick, do you have any indication of what the scope of the launch will be? Will they start with the same titles from the test market or will it be a new batch of titles, or some combination?

Cai Campbell said:
Patrick, do you have any indication of what the scope of the launch will be? Will they start with the same titles from the test market or will it be a new batch of titles, or some combination?

Nah, everyone's very tight lipped, I think this info was more of a slippage by someone who was forgetting that I occasionally wear a journalistic hat!

Why do the keep things like this so hush-hush, yet they announce "ROE" three years early?!

Why the :( face?
You guys made this amazing place and now there are thousands of us QQ disciples that "get it"! :)

I think the sad face is cause Dualdisc sucks…
An unplayable CD layer on many players and so many were just DVD-V (with "Dullby"!)

Only a few were bright lights in the darkness, especially the Talking Heads discs. Now those were awesome! :)

Oh right, my mistake.. sorry :eek:

Fwiw, I saw DualDisc as a means to an end to get to hear as much surround as possible (there are surround mixes unique to the format).. yes it's a horribly flawed format., nice enough idea, I guess.. pretty lousy execution..

..though non-Redbook compliant CD playback and slot loading troubles weren't the deal breakers for me that I respect they clearly were for many other users.. Dolby only DVD-V and too many titles with poor 5.1 or no 5.1 at all, only "Enhanced Stereo" were equally fatal flaws imho..

.. Sony had the perfect DualDisc all along right under their very noses.. Hybrid Surround SACD :)

Oh right, my mistake.. sorry :eek:

Fwiw, I saw DualDisc as a means to an end to get to hear as much surround as possible (there are surround mixes unique to the format).. yes it's a horribly flawed format., nice enough idea, I guess.. pretty lousy execution..

..though non-Redbook compliant CD playback and slot loading troubles weren't the deal breakers for me that I respect they clearly were for many other users.. Dolby only DVD-V and too many titles with poor 5.1 or no 5.1 at all, only "Enhanced Stereo" were equally fatal flaws imho..

.. Sony had the perfect DualDisc all along right under their very noses.. Hybrid Surround SACD :)

Right. Dolby and Warner didn't realize they needed CD compatibility until DVD Audio was coming to a close with the major labels. So Dual Disc was born in a last gasp effort to modify the DVD-A spec to add a CD layer. Now if CD compatibility had been engineered in from the start, things might have been different.

Hmm, is there a lesson here for the BD Audio format and its lack of CD compatibility?

Hehehe - If it weren't for my Keane DualDisc.......I'd be in the dark about the band.....

I've had some good dual discs so I appreciate WHATEVER I can get in the music world...and of course we have the Dolby Digital detractors...even though there have been some pretty good sounding discs that use that method...and let's not forget the SACD bashers too..many many superb sounding discs and yet we still have the "whiners" who cling to their charts and graphs and refuse to give the format the respect it deserves...it's almost laughable to cite technical flaws when these discs sound so good....I think the priorities of some are a little misplaced...it's not rocket science...it's music...just enjoy it and quit obsessing over the methods employed...

We all miss Cai...really wish he were alive, he'd be flipping out with all the new Surround titles being released...I don't think that he'd have imagined in his wildest dreams all the SW remixes , and now the AF people jumping into the SACD MCH wagon!!!!

Here's to Cai and his great family!!!! (I have a few of his titles too!!! His Mom was VERY nice to me, I helped her out with some of the selling and she sent me the Peter Tosh "Legalize it " SACD as a GIFT!!!)

Right. Dolby and Warner didn't realize they needed CD compatibility until DVD Audio was coming to a close with the major labels. So Dual Disc was born in a last gasp effort to modify the DVD-A spec to add a CD layer. Now if CD compatibility had been engineered in from the start, things might have been different.

Hmm, is there a lesson here for the BD Audio format and its lack of CD compatibility?

Right. SACD was born of the CD and was already a perfect DualDisc. Why Sony jumped on DualDisc to the detriment of SACD is nuts.

DVD-A was born of DVD and would never be a CD, so the obvious choice from the start was a CD/DVD package like the Flaming Lips started. If that would have been the package from the start, a CD/DVD-A/V, there would have never been a need for a DualDisc, or the equally horrible "MVI" disc.

If they want to save BluRay Audio, even this late in the disc based delivery game, they should adopt the CD/BDA packaging like the Yes Album, Close to the Edge, etc. Give the people their CD and in the package, "Hey, what's this?". Maybe they'll pop it in their BluRay player and check it out.

Trying to make a DVD a CD, or making a CD a DVD (for the video), is totally stupid. And of course, it failed miserably, pretty much putting an end to major label high resolution disc based audio.

Thankfully, labels like Audio Fidelity and others continue to carry the flag until the flame burns out completely.

We all miss Cai...really wish he were alive, he'd be flipping out with all the new Surround titles being released...I don't think that he'd have imagined in his wildest dreams all the SW remixes , and now the AF people jumping into the SACD MCH wagon!!!!

Here's to Cai and his great family!!!! (I have a few of his titles too!!! His Mom was VERY nice to me, I helped her out with some of the selling and she sent me the Peter Tosh "Legalize it " SACD as a GIFT!!!)

That's what sort of bummed me out about this thread. Look at the people that were here at that time. Cai, along with industry professionals like Stuart Robinson, John Kotches, and Patrick Cleasby. Hard to believe that was over 10 years ago. Oh my! :mad:@:

IIRC, Kotches went to all hard drive based music a long time ago.
I always like his equipment reviews, detailed, fact-based without hyperbole
He used to write for several sites and contribute on a lot of forums but I'm guessing that after awhile he tired of it like most of the Pros have.
Trying not to editorialize too much, but Internet forums can be very trying places.
With very few exceptions, the insiders that regularly were on original and\or popular forums all left years ago.
I know some still lurk when they have new releases\remasters out to see the reaction, but how many times can you be told "you fucked it up" in a 1,000 ways by a 10,000 amateurs?

Back