Dutton Vocalion UK mining the Sony Music quad catalog for Multichannel SACD release!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had an email this afternoon from Michael Dutton who says that all the orders and pre-orders have gone out now, so people should start receiving their discs soon.

He's also heard the complaints here about the lack of shipping emails, and said he's going to work with his shipping team to improve customer service in that regard in the future.

ETA: I really like the Percy Faith quads, but I think quad-wise the Faith and Conniff albums have a similar amount of front/rear separation (ie extreme) to compensate for the terrible SQ decoders of the day. It really comes down to personal preference, but I favour the Faith albums because he was a great arranger and I love those big swirling strings and brass, whereas Conniff for me isn't as much, and the group vocals on the Conniff albums often fall on the wrong side of cheeseball as well. In the favour of the Conniff albums however is the sound quality, which is apparently fantastic and the fact that the majority of them were recorded with quad in mind, whereas most of Faith's albums were remixes done after the fact.

Ok Guys & Gals........

If Snood bites on the Hugo SACDS.............which ones?? :mad:@:

We shall see about this QUAD FATHER business :rolleyes: :banana:

Hi. All

Received my lot today. 13:12:2016
( Tower Of Power )
( Hugo Montenegro= The Godfather + A Fistful O f Dollars )
( Hugo Montenegro= In Wonder - Land + Neil`s Diamonds )
( Michel Legrand=Twenty Songs Of The Century )
( Percy Faith= China Town + Love Them from Romeo & Juliet )
( Ray Conniff= Laughter In The Rain + Love Will Keep Us Together )

I have already listened to The God Father & Wonder-Land and they BLOW my socks off they're so clean and dynamic & Sooooo Discrete and I have been addicted to Quad sound that Surrounds you, that has instruments going here there and every ware, to 'whom' how says this is to gimmicky Bollocks to you this is Quad at its Best, , ,Well what is Discrete Surround Sound ambient noise at the back channels ONLY?"?:?":>
I will give these a 10 so fare...
Bill.

PS. I have all these on Quad LP so I should now...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok Guys & Gals........

For that price, get them all. Great mixes!

Ok Guys & Gals........

Chomp chomp! Take a bite on them all! They're so tasty! :p
... both new Hugo SACDs (Godfather/Sergio Leone & Neil Diamond/Stevie Wonder) are superb!

Also, did you get the Hugo "Scenes & Themes"/"Others By Brothers" DV SACD from last Xmas?
That's excellent too.

@snood

I've got both the Godfather and the Scenes & Themes SACDs and if you only want to get one, I'd recommend the Godfather. For me, both are good enough to consider also getting the third one.

Thanks for the feedback fredblue and steelydave. I should probably visit the other two Conniff's I have in SQ to see if my mind changes any about his recordings. I may well tack on the Percy Faith, and possibly the Floyd Cramer's and Danny Davis too.

Thanks for the feedback fredblue and steelydave. I should probably visit the other two Conniff's I have in SQ to see if my mind changes any about his recordings. I may well tack on the Percy Faith, and possibly the Floyd Cramer's and Danny Davis too.

You're welcome :) I don't know the Danny Davis Quads at all I'm afraid (Dave may well know them, or one of the other long time Quad experts here, I'm new to a lot of these Quads tbh) I'll be picking up his Caribbean cruise DV SACD next.., the Floyd Cramers sound good, not a helluva lot going on though I remember there being a few "ooh" and "aah" Quad moments, nice relaxing stuff generally and some great playing.. which are the two other Conniff SQ's you have?

You're welcome :) I don't know the Danny Davis Quads at all I'm afraid (Dave may well know them, or one of the other long time Quad experts here, I'm new to a lot of these Quads tbh) I'll be picking up his Caribbean cruise DV SACD next.., the Floyd Cramers sound good, not a helluva lot going on though I remember there being a few "ooh" and "aah" Quad moments, nice relaxing stuff generally and some great playing.. which are the two other Conniff SQ's you have?

Carribean Cruise is a good one. Looking forward to it on Surround SACD.

Well here's a sad related bit of news. I was listening to "Others By Brothers" tonight and wondering about Larry Muhoberac who plays synth on this album as well as "Hugo In Wonderland." I went to his Wikipeida page, and it turns out he just died less than 2 weeks ago on Dec. 4.

Main Ingredient and Legrand are the standouts for me...

but they are all good.

I don't know if every one of these releases deserves an Official Poll, but "Euphrates River" probably does as its in the same league/genre as releases that have come from Audio Fidelity. I had completely forgotten about the minor "hit" song on there (last one...), that brought back some recollections. Certainly a must have for folks that like groups such as The Spinners or Stylistics. Well done album, well mixed sax on song 4(?) also.

I don't know if every one of these releases deserves an Official Poll, but "Euphrates River" probably does as its in the same league/genre as releases that have come from Audio Fidelity. I had completely forgotten about the minor "hit" song on there (last one...), that brought back some recollections. Certainly a must have for folks that like groups such as The Spinners or Stylistics. Well done album, well mixed sax on song 4(?) also.

Tower Of Power QQ Poll would be fab too :eek:

Here's two polls:
Tower of Power - https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...wer-of-Power-AIN-T-NOTHIN-STOPPIN-US-NOW-SACD
Main Ingredient - https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...2911-The-Main-Ingredient-EUPHRATES-RIVER-SACD

I'm not certain how many of the others would even get enough votes to warrant a poll…

Thanks Ryan :)

Personally would consider Polls also for the Hugo Montenegro's, the Michel Legrand and the Conniff & Faith 2-fers
(the Montenegro's & Legrand are superb surround music discs no matter which way you look at them imho).

I got my discs today (Dec. 19th) and I'm in Toronto, Canada. Post date on the customs slip was Nov 30th.

I heard from Michael Dutton this morning who had his shipping department track the large US orders and he says they should be delivered this week. Canada post is usually notoriously slow, so if I got my shipment today I would imagine it won't be long before US orders start showing up.

I hope the QQ mods make poll entries for all these discs, even if they aren't in any danger of unseating Dark Side Of The Moon or Steven Wilson at the top of the poll charts. Aside from numerical rankings, poll threads also serve as an organised way of leaving and finding reviews of discs, so 2, 5 or 10 years from now if someone's wondering how one of these discs sounds (or any other minutae associated with them) they'll know where to look.

Thanks Ryan :)

Personally would consider Polls also for the Hugo Montenegro's, the Michel Legrand and the Conniff & Faith 2-fers
(the Montenegro's & Legrand are superb surround music discs no matter which way you look at them imho).

And the Henry Mancini Multichannel SACDs.

I got my discs today (Dec. 19th) and I'm in Toronto, Canada. Post date on the customs slip was Nov 30th.

I heard from Michael Dutton this morning who had his shipping department track the large US orders and he says they should be delivered this week. Canada post is usually notoriously slow, so if I got my shipment today I would imagine it won't be long before US orders start showing up.

I hope the QQ mods make poll entries for all these discs, even if they aren't in any danger of unseating Dark Side Of The Moon or Steven Wilson at the top of the poll charts. Aside from numerical rankings, poll threads also serve as an organised way of leaving and finding reviews of discs, so 2, 5 or 10 years from now if someone's wondering how one of these discs sounds (or any other minutae associated with them) they'll know where to look.

Several of the new Vocalion/Dutton Multichannel SACDs arrived here today as well.
Time for some Multichannel SACD listening.... :)

steelydave posted: I hope the QQ mods make poll entries for all these [Dutton~Vocalion mch SACD] discs, even if they aren't in any danger of unseating Dark Side Of The Moon or Steven Wilson at the top of the poll charts. Aside from numerical rankings, poll threads also serve as an organised way of leaving and finding reviews of discs, so 2, 5 or 10 years from now if someone's wondering how one of these discs sounds (or any other minutae associated with them) they'll know where to look.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't be more in agreement as when all hope was lost when Audio Fidelity decided to curtail their mch SACD releases, the folks at Dutton~Vocalion took up the banner in a most agreeable way. Though, as SD intimates, they won't unseat DSOTM or Mr Wilson's stellar releases in terms of popularity, enough positive votes may encourage D~V to continue their mch venture....hopefully with more rock and jazz titles thrown in for good measure!

I've yet to receive my order (for ALL of the new mch releases + Watership Down in SACD stereo), but based on past D~V mch purchases, I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

And as the prices of these discs are poised to increase, it's probably best to order before the first of the New Years or avoid paying more.

An English gentleman appears to have hacked 4-earredwonder's account.

Back