Dutton Vocalion - what's essential?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve bought many discs of artists i wasn’t aware of previously or werent exactly my taste because there was a multi channel mix, so keep the suggestions coming.
I've done that, too. Once I got the ones that fit my specific tastes, I started branching out. I did this with the new release by Azteca. Based on comments on the forum, I decided to bite the bullet. Whenever new releases come out, I start with the familiar titles first.

Here is my modest list of DV classical titles. Any other highly recommended discs before the DV price increase on Oct 1? Thanks.

DV Epoch.jpg

Here is my modest list of DV classical titles. Any other highly recommended discs before the DV price increase on Oct 1? Thanks.

View attachment 84000
You've got a lot of the best ones, IMO. You could add the other Boulez Conducts Stravinsky--The Firebird and The Rite of Spring (and, if you really like Stravinsky, the Bernstein Rite of Spring, too); the James Levine Brahms & Mahler set; Bernstein's Mass in Time of War; Copland's Appalachian Spring; the Stokowski Mahler Symphony No. 2; Prokofiev, Alexander Nevsky; Boulez Conducts Ravel; Schoenberg, Gurre-Lieder; Straus, Also Sprach Zarathustra (paired with Saint-Saens Organ Symphony); and/or Boulez Conducts Wagner.

Last edited:
You've got a lot of the best ones, IMO. You could add the other Boulez Conducts Stravinsky--The Firebird and The Rite of Spring (and, if you really like Stravinsky, the Bernstein Rite of Spring, too); the James Levine Brahms & Mahler set; Bernstein's Mass in Time of War; Copland's Appalachian Spring; the Stokowski Mahler Symphony No. 2; Prokofiev, Alexander Nevsky; Boulez Conducts Ravel; Schoenberg, Gurre-Lieder; Straus, Also Sprach Zarathustra (paired with Saint-Saens Organ Symphony); and/or Boulez Conducts Wagner.
Tomita ~ Daphnis et Chloe, Firebird
Julian Bream ~ Concertos for Lute & Orchestra
Swingle Singers ~ The Four Seasons
E. Power Biggs ~ Rheinberger Organ Concertos, This Six Organ Concerto Sinfonias
Eugene Ormandy Conducts Also Sprach Zarathustra + Virgil Fox Saint-Saens Organ Symphony
Thank you. Are any of them aggressive mixes, or are they all hall type presentations with just ambience in the rears? That is not a problem for me, but I would not want to miss out on some aggressive mixes.

Thank you. Are any of them aggressive mixes, or are they all hall type presentations with just ambience in the rears? That is not a problem for me, but I would not want to miss out on some aggressive mixes.
I'd say all of those on my list have more than just hall ambience. Most feature at least some discrete elements; some, like the Mahler 4th, Alexander Nevsky, and all of the "Boulez Conducts" discs, are discrete-classical showpieces.

Anyone compare the Firebird 360, to the Atmos? Isn't the quad really good on that one.

Edit... I should just ask if anyone compared the quad Firebird to the Atmos Firebird...?

Last edited:
You've got a lot of the best ones, IMO. You could add the other Boulez Conducts Stravinsky--The Firebird and The Rite of Spring (and, if you really like Stravinsky, the Bernstein Rite of Spring, too); the James Levine Brahms & Mahler set; Bernstein's Mass in Time of War; Copland's Appalachian Spring; the Stokowski Mahler Symphony No. 2; Prokofiev, Alexander Nevsky; Boulez Conducts Ravel; Schoenberg, Gurre-Lieder; Straus, Also Sprach Zarathustra (paired with Saint-Saens Organ Symphony); and/or Boulez Conducts Wagner

Tomita ~ Daphnis et Chloe, Firebird
Julian Bream ~ Concertos for Lute & Orchestra
Swingle Singers ~ The Four Seasons
E. Power Biggs ~ Rheinberger Organ Concertos, This Six Organ Concerto Sinfonias
Eugene Ormandy Conducts Also Sprach Zarathustra + Virgil Fox Saint-Saens Organ Symphony

I ultimately went for 9 sets. I realize that this violates GOS's Law, Rule, Axiom, Whatever. We shall see what happens.
Thanks again for the recommendations.

After listening to the James Galway set last night, I'd highly recommend it as a DV essential. Michael Dutton mixed it into quad himself from the original multitracks. It is wonderful.

Moderators: I could not find a poll for the Galway set. If there isn't one, I would like to see it added.

Last edited:
when i take it off the shelf, load it up in the player, sit back and let the Multichannel mastertape majesty of it all wash over me, i have to pinch myself that the Wizard of Watford made it all happen.

a Landmark Quad Reissue imho.
I pinch myself whenever the WIZARD of WATFORD announces a new batch of QUAD SACDs ......

The latest batch consisting of 9 QUAD SACDs and one Stereo which includes AZTECA, KRIS KRISTOFFERSON and FRIENDS OF DISTINCTION, ALL in STATE OF THE ART DISCRETE SONICS, are ALL VERY HIGH RECOMMENDATIONS!

Over D~V's few years of releasing QUAD SACDs, I would guesstimate the WIZARD has liberated well over 200 heretofore unreleased QUAD treasures from the vaults of RCA, COLUMBIA and UMG. No small feat, IMO, for an independent reissue company!

And IMO, they're all worth seeking out ...even the Easy Listening ones [which will come in handy during one's GOLDEN YEARS, when you really are too old to Rock 'n ROLL]!

Last edited:
I pinch myself whenever the WIZARD of WATFORD announces a new batch of QUAD SACDs ......

The latest batch consisting of 9 QUAD SACDs and one Stereo which includes AZTECA, KRIS KRISTOFFERSON and FRIENDS OF DISTINCTION, ALL in STATE OF THE ART DISCRETE SONICS, are ALL VERY HIGH RECOMMENDATIONS!

Over D~V's few years of releasing QUAD SACDs, I would guesstimate the WIZARD has liberated well over 200 heretofore unreleased QUAD treasures from the vaults of RCA, COLUMBIA and UMG. No small feat, IMO, for an independent reissue company!

And IMO, they're all worth seeking out ...even the Easy Listening ones [which will come in handy during one's GOLDEN YEARS, when you really are too old to Rock 'n ROLL]!
Unfashionable to the end...No, you're never too old to rock and roll. If you're too young to die. Quad fans never die, they just lose the centre channel. :whistle:🤪

I ultimately went for 9 sets. I realize that this violates GOS's Law, Rule, Axiom, Whatever. We shall see what happens.
Thanks again for the recommendations.

Thou shalt not violate GOS's Axiom.
Thou shalt not violate GOS's Rule.
Thou shalt not violate GOS's Law.
Thou shalt not violate GOS's Theorem.

Well, whatever it is, I violated it and paid the price...in a very strange way. The order arrived today. The packaging appeared to be in good shape. Only one CD case was cracked. That's not a big deal.

DV Cracked Case.jpg

However:

- One title was duplicated
- The package included a title which I did not order, Bernstein Conducts Hadyn Mass In Time Of War.
- Two titles that I ordered were omitted. 😭

DV Set.jpg

I have contacted DV and I'm sure that they will make good on these issues. However, I never should have violated @GOS requirement of an even number of items...and this time I also sunk our friends at DV with my foolhardiness.

You have been forewarned. 💀

💀💀💀💀💀

Thou shalt not violate GOS's Axiom.
Thou shalt not violate GOS's Rule.
Thou shalt not violate GOS's Law.
Thou shalt not violate GOS's Theorem.

Well, whatever it is, I violated it and paid the price...in a very strange way. The order arrived today. The packaging appeared to be in good shape. Only one CD case was cracked. That's not a big deal.

View attachment 84505

However:

- One title was duplicated
- The package included a title which I did not order, Bernstein Conducts Hadyn Mass In Time Of War.
- Two titles that I ordered were omitted. 😭

View attachment 84506

I have contacted DV and I'm sure that they will make good on these issues. However, I never should have violated @GOS requirement of an even number of items...and this time I also sunk our friends at DV with my foolhardiness.

You have been forewarned. 💀

💀💀💀💀💀
Hey, relax Holmes...You'll be fine! I recently had an order with DV for 7 & they were all in perfect shape😀

Hey, relax Holmes...You'll be fine! I recently had an order with DV for 7 & they were all in perfect shape😀
But you received the 7 that you ordered, right? None were duplicated and no titles that you ordered were missing, right? If so, you got away with it. Do it again and the Odd Numbered Wraiths will come for you.

💀💀💀

Back