DVDA Explorer question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssully

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
DVDA Explorer , used for archiving one's DVD-As, has a neat 'Merge' option that will rip a 5.1 track as a single .wav file (the other 'Split' option will save it as 6 individual .wav files, one per channel). My on-the-fly AC3 encoder in my laptop handles these single mch .wav files flawlessly, allowing me to easily stream them as mch audio bitstreams from laptop SPDIF out, with correct channel assignment intact. My AVR decodes them just like it would any DD bitstream.

Is such 'merge' function available in other software if one feeds it 6 individual .wav files (1 per channel)? I ask because I am going to start archiving my mch SACDs, capturing 6 ch analog output from an Oppo to digital via a Delta 1010LT card. Recording the 6 channels with Audition 1.0 . I'd like to be able to 'merge' 6 to 1 mch .wav file, when I save it. Not sure Audition can do that.

I use Sound Forge for Audio Editing. In versions 9 and 10, you can create a 6CH wav file by creating an "empty" new file 5.1 file, then pasting the mono rips for each channel into their respective places using PASTE and OVERWRITE where applicable. It works fine, then you just save the 5.1 file as a single wav file.

I can't remember if version 8 did this too, but I don't think it did.

Attachments

• Sound Forge new.jpg
    Sound Forge new.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 168
This may help if you are still using Audition 1.0:

http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/2004/01_jan/reviews/audition_review3.htm

Extract:

The Multichannel Encoder interface lets you select one track at a time and pan it anywhere around the area of a circle. Little white boxes representing speakers are positioned at the proper 5.1 listening positions around the circle for guidance. There are volume controls for the sub and the center channel as well as for the overall track level. Eleven panning presets are also available from a pulldown menu, with quick setups for options such as "Center only, mono" and "LFE only." You can preview the mix before exporting.
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Export options allow you to save as six individual mono files, as an interleaved six-channel Wave file or as a Windows Media Audio Pro 6-channel file. The WMA options include Lossless, Constant Bit Rate or Variable Bit Rate. Files can be saved at a wide variety of bit rates and sampling options.

Export options allow you to save as six individual mono files, as an interleaved six-channel Wave file or as a Windows Media Audio Pro 6-channel file. The WMA options include Lossless, Constant Bit Rate or Variable Bit Rate. Files can be saved at a wide variety of bit rates and sampling options.

ah, if I can get that to work, it should suffice.

Thanks.

Back