Edgar Winter Group - They Only Come Out at Night SACD LAYER PROBLEM

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Quad Guy

Quadraphonic Preservation
Staff member
I know this has been discussed before, someone else has experienced the same issue, but I couldn’t find the thread dedicated to this subject.

I bought Edgar Winter Group - They Only Come Out at Night SACD a few months ago and finally got around to listening to it. Imagine my surprise when I heard some sort of mellow Jazz music with a female vocal coming out of my speakers! :eek: I rechecked the label and sure enough it says: Edgar Winter Group - They Only Come Out at Night, Mobile Fidelity. Good music, but not Edgar Winter! The seller is out of Canada and totally awesome, but too late to return now. I think they get most of their titles from the EU, but I’m not sure where this disc is from at this moment.

Does anyone know who the artist on the SACD layer is? How many of these messed up SACD’s are out there. Is this a real collector’s item?

Hmm, haven't listened to mine yet. I bought it from amazon.com. I will check the disc as soon as I have some spare time.

About it being a collectors item, I don't know.

Some, if not most discs of this title have the correct SACD layer AFAIK. But how many discs with the wrong layer and what music IS on there would be interesting to know. If you buy this title play your disc right away to make sure you have the good one.

BTW Mobile Fidelity - if you're reading this - Put the Quad mixes on your discs as well! There's room for all three mixes CD, Hi-Rez Stereo And Quadraphonic.

BTW Mobile Fidelity - if you're reading this - Put the Quad mixes on your discs as well! There's room for all three mixes CD, Hi-Rez Stereo And Quadraphonic.

Agreed! They do have some fake surround discs though (with their Gain 2 Mastering process) and 2 original quad mixes of Leonard Slatkin (Mussorgsky and Prokofiev) and 2 by Stanislaw Skrowaczewski (both Ravel). I have to confess that I haven't gotten around to listen to those either, but I will do so shortly.

O.k., I have the regular version of TOCOAN. It sounds very good; the only gripe I have with this: it's not MCH . Other than that a great disc and Frankenstein rocks (y)

^^ Stereo only. But it's the only disc with the full length 'Frankenstein'.

If you mean the originally-released 4:45 album version, it's available on many discs including the regular Epic release.

Is the MFSL version longer?

There was reportedly once a much-longer version, but in interviews EW has said it was lost long ago. The master tape was spliced many times to create the album version, which is how the track got its name.

The 3:28 #1 hit single has eight additional edits (some only two seconds long), making it a sort of Son of Frankenstein. I believe that's a record: I know of no other single with more edits.

I didn't know that. I was reading amazon reviews (among others) before I bought it and there was one by Gavin Wilson, claiming in the title that this is the only way to get the extended version.

Gavin Wilson's review.

But by looking at the year of the review, maybe the other editions were released later?

I know this has been discussed before, someone else has experienced the same issue, but I couldn’t find the thread dedicated to this subject.

I bought Edgar Winter Group - They Only Come Out at Night SACD a few months ago and finally got around to listening to it. Imagine my surprise when I heard some sort of mellow Jazz music with a female vocal coming out of my speakers! :eek: I rechecked the label and sure enough it says: Edgar Winter Group - They Only Come Out at Night, Mobile Fidelity. Good music, but not Edgar Winter! The seller is out of Canada and totally awesome, but too late to return now. I think they get most of their titles from the EU, but I’m not sure where this disc is from at this moment.

Does anyone know who the artist on the SACD layer is? How many of these messed up SACD’s are out there. Is this a real collector’s item?

Heh, it took me a year to stick the disc into the computer's disc drive and get from itunes the artist info. I read somewhere the CD layer was Edgar Winter, so therefore the delay. It is in fact Rosa Passos & Ron Carter: Entre Amigos, put out by Chesky Records. It is a CD/SACD Stereo/SACD Multi-Channel disc with an Edgar Winter Group - They Only Come Out at Night, Mobile Fidelity SACD label on the disc and artwork in SACD case. Not sure if it's worth anything...

Mispressings tend not to be worth much of anything, but for this one, maybe to fans of the Rosa/Ron album?

ED :)

That's an idea. I thought it not worth much, but one never knows. Might be interesting to eBay it. Still, I'd rather have the Edgar Winter music as the Rosa/Ron album SACD is about 10 bucks cheaper. Well at least we don't have to buy the Rosa/Ron album now and I know what the heck I'm listing to.

Now that is, quite frankly, very :alienrob:SPOOKY:alienrob:. Is all the print done in good English or is it riddled with grammer/translation mistakes?. I recently bought a copy of "Jazz at the Pawnshop" SACD from a Thailand seller on ebay and its description of what SACD is all about on the inside of the front cover is hilarious.

Quote: All of the SACD call to call the Super Audio CD, is the super audio frequency SDSystem, is a form that develops a fever to try the sound and develop a fever to demonstrate the the disc to usually adopt,The SACD adoption DSD numeral records sound the technique, its frequency scope all surpass the CD, but with likeness of DVD- Audio,Broadcast to face the one side and two-sided, the information layer contain single layer and dual layers.Have when SACD broadcast of need and use the SACD broadcasts the equipments appropriatively, the SACD of the big part can use at the same time on the common ......etc etc.

From now on I'm just gunna hand this to people who want to understand how a SACD hybrid works.

The rest of the packaging is done very professionally but its just your standard aluminium stereo CD. With what looks like some Chinese writing around the outer rim of the disc. I did not send it back as this was too funny.

Now that is, quite frankly, very :alienrob:SPOOKY:alienrob:. Is all the print done in good English or is it riddled with grammer/translation mistakes?. I recently bought a copy of "Jazz at the Pawnshop" SACD from a Thailand seller on ebay and its description of what SACD is all about on the inside of the front cover is hilarious.

Quote: All of the SACD call to call the Super Audio CD, is the super audio frequency SDSystem, is a form that develops a fever to try the sound and develop a fever to demonstrate the the disc to usually adopt,The SACD adoption DSD numeral records sound the technique, its frequency scope all surpass the CD, but with likeness of DVD- Audio,Broadcast to face the one side and two-sided, the information layer contain single layer and dual layers.Have when SACD broadcast of need and use the SACD broadcasts the equipments appropriatively, the SACD of the big part can use at the same time on the common ......etc etc.

From now on I'm just gunna hand this to people who want to understand how a SACD hybrid works.

The rest of the packaging is done very professionally but its just your standard aluminium stereo CD. With what looks like some Chinese writing around the outer rim of the disc. I did not send it back as this was too funny.

I've heard from many QQ member's here to watch out for titles that claim to be SACD, but are only regular CD’s with a SACD sticker to help sell them. So I’ve been mindful of this when buying from Asia. Although I’ve had great luck from trusted sellers in China, Japan and Korea that I buy from all the time.

It is "Spooky" as all hell when I put it in SACD player. :alienrob: The packaging looks and is spot on and does not appear to be a bootleg of any sort, just a weird manufacturing flaw. The seller I bought this from is 100% legit from Canada - a favorite seller I've been buying from for 3 years. They get their stock from the E.U. as I understand it - as well as other places around these parts here in the U.S. The seller would have been good for a refund but the problem was I didn't play the damn thing until after a few months passed. Ah, I don't do that anymore! :D I don't mind the misprint, just find it really weird. Never experienced this, even with the thousands of regular CD's I've bought over the years.

I have a habit of buying SACDs and not getting around to playing them for ages.

This Edgar Winter example is a perfect reason why one should listen right away, while there is still time to return the disc if necessary.

I bought three Tierney Sutton SACDs from Concord last year.
By the time I realized one of them was actually just the redbook issue it was too late, they wouldn't take it back.
Because all of them were in regular jewel boxes, not super jewel boxes, I just didn't notice until I tried to play the disc 8 months after receiving it.

All this talk of developing a fever has me worried.
Can you catch bird flu from a disc?

Maybe you should act appropriatively and get vaccinated.

Back