Elliot Scheiner & Audio Fidelity Announce 5.1 SACD Partnership

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The New York Voices Christmas album was mixed to 5.1 Surround by Elliot Scheiner.
He really wanted it to be released in 5.1 - and Audio Fidelity made that happen as one of their early Multichannel SACD releases.

That's the story.

What happened to the announced partnership?

Audio Fidelity has released some of the albums Eliot Scheiner mixed in 5.1 Surround on Multichannel SACD (America - Homecoming, Grover Washington Jr - Winelight) and the earlier mentioned
Christmas album in 5.1 by the New York Voices on the ETrain imprint.

Audio Fidelity has released some of the albums Eliot Scheiner mixed in 5.1 Surround on Multichannel SACD (America - Homecoming, Grover Washington Jr - Winelight) and the earlier mentioned

Well unless there are some other unreleased surround mixes of his like the "Let It Snow" album which AF could license and then release, I think this partnership has hit a brick wall, especially since the Steely Dan/Donald Fagen albums he mixed in surround for Warner DVDA releases are not available for licensing.

There are other 5.1 mixes that Elliot Scheiner has done, besides Steely Dan and Donald Fagen.
We will see if some of those make it to Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD in the future.

That is true. My understanding, misunderstanding it turns out, was that Scheiner would make new mixes. And not that the partnership was mainly about rereleasing existing ones.

That is true. My understanding, misunderstanding it turns out, was that Scheiner would make new mixes. And not that the partnership was mainly about rereleasing existing ones.

I wasn't necessarlly expecting new mixes, that would be prohibitively expensive.
And (selfishly) not concerned about previously released mixes, I have all I want on DVD-A.

What I'm looking for are completed 5.1 mixes Mr.Scheiner created that were never released.

Between the dearth of ES 5.1 mixes being made available despite the agreement hoopla and Acura's continued use of the ELS moniker despite a lossless disc format no longer included, I am rather demoralized where Elliot is concerned these days.

I went ahead and sent in a request for a reissue of "Toy Matinee" as a Multichannel SACD.
Besides this one, I'm at a loss for other Elliot Scheiner surround mixes that could be potentially reissued without all of the bureaucratic licensing red tape attached to it.
Maybe "Candyman" by Steve Lukather?

I went ahead and sent in a request for a reissue of "Toy Matinee" as a Multichannel SACD.
Besides this one, I'm at a loss for other Elliot Scheiner surround mixes that could be potentially reissued without all of the bureaucratic licensing red tape attached to it.
Maybe "Candyman" by Steve Lukather?

+1
Also, if the multis for Shaming of the True can be found, I'd be all over that.

Actually the licensing is pretty straight forward if the record label and artist say yes.
If they don't, reissues aren't going to happen.

Actually the licensing is pretty straight forward if the record label and artist say yes.
If they don't, reissues aren't going to happen.

Well the approval of both record label and artist is certainly a big (if not close to impossible) obstacle for several reissues to overcome, but maybe that won't be the case with a title like "Toy Matinee"
Ever the prompt responder, Marshall told me that he will look into this title, which sounds to me like this is the first time this title has been requested, but I was more than happy to request it, especially if it does end up being reissued one day. :)

Well the approval of both record label and artist is certainly a big (if not close to impossible) obstacle for several reissues to overcome, but maybe that won't be the case with a title like "Toy Matinee"
Ever the prompt responder, Marshall told me that he will look into this title, which sounds to me like this is the first time this title has been requested, but I was more than happy to request it, especially if it does end up being reissued one day. :)

Toy Matinee has been requested before from Audio Fidelity on Multichannel SACD. It started its life as a Reprise (Warner Music) CD release before DTS put it out on 5.1 DTS CD and later on a 5.1 DVD Audio Disc.
Last release of Toy Matinee was a Stereo CD in 2009.

We'll see what happens.

Toy Matinee has been requested before from Audio Fidelity on Multichannel SACD. It started its life as a Reprise (Warner Music) CD release before DTS put it out on 5.1 DTS CD and later on a 5.1 DVD Audio Disc.
Last release of Toy Matinee was a Stereo CD in 2009.

We'll see what happens.

Oh ok, it sounded like Marshall had not necessarily heard of the album before so I had thought it might not have already been requested.
But you bring up an excellent point in that the last release of the album was 6 years ago, and the last release of the album in surround was almost 15 years ago, and given that it's never been released on SACD, let's hope there's demand for Audio Fidelity to reissue it! :)

Oh ok, it sounded like Marshall had not necessarily heard of the album before so I had thought it might not have already been requested.

But you bring up an excellent point in that the last release of the album was 6 years ago, and the last release of the album in surround was almost 15 years ago, and given that it's never been released on SACD, let's hope there's demand for Audio Fidelity to reissue it! :)

I don't know what Audio Fidelity considers an adequate time window between the last reissue of an album and a new one.
That's a decision for Marshall and his team.

I have the DVD-A, but I know I'd definitely be picking up the AF SACD if they do it...

Back