Elton John "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" HFPA Blu-Ray Release

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2008 fire at Universal: http://www.deadline.com/2008/06/update-universal-fire-burns-music-history/
universal-studios-lot-fire-6-4-08-2.jpg
It was said to be caused by roofers.

which fire? :flame :yikes what? where? when?

A hardware store here got burned down by roofers too. It was a great neighborhood event. We all walked over to watch. There was even Salt Lake City fire trucks there. Must have taken them a half hour to get there from that distance.
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=11733281

Good morning Yellow Brick Cave! :p another version or three of GYBR was just what I needed :mad:@:

I want 5.1 Westies, Caribou, Blue Moves and Don't Shoot Me.. and I want them now, dammit! :ugham:

I could not agree more. (y)

I played my beautiful cardboard quad folded-card edition of GBYBR SACD all this weekend. What a pure joy. The BluRay is the exact same 5.1 thing, so I can't afford to buy again just to send a message to some conglomerate...

The 5 CD non-surround is interesting, and makes me appreciate a SW 5.1 offering even more.

Good News: Elton John live 1973. This should sound FANTASTIC since that time period produces Hi-quality recordings of big acts such as EJ. This could be HUGE(in 2.0 terms) :yikes :cool: :banana:

Bad News: A tribute CD???:mad:@: Yeah... I can't wait to hear all the talent-less commercial bands of today ruin EJ's priceless material. :rolleyes:

Bad News II. Where is the new 2.0 mix taken from the 16 channel 1st gen multi???

Really peeps, how many times will we fall for the word "remaster"? As long as it it from some old hissy 2.0 tape it will never come alive like a 2.0 mix from the 1st gen 16 track!
And also, I am sick of hearing "remaster". Remastering is only needed when transfering to a different medium. Once the artist samples the original mag tape into digital there is no more need(ever) to re-eq the recording(unless there has been degradation on the tape). So if I hear about the great "Bob Ludwig" one more time...I will vomit. Re-mastering is no longer needed. Almost all of the classic 70's tape based music should have been transferred to digital by now. It won't get any better even if it is remastered by Bob Ludwig & Steve Hoffmann & Joe Gastwirt a trillion times. Ok, end of rant. If anybody really cares about better 2.0 sound:

Remix into 2.0(paying close attention to the original mix) from the 16 track multi-track! To my knowledge that has not been offered for sale yet for GBYBR.

Oh, we need EJ - Here & There in 5.1 and also Pinball Wizard in 5.1.(y)

Being the consummate sucker, I have bought several copies of nearly every classic album I own. 7 - 10 copies is more the norm than the exception. "Remastered" 2.0 albums aren't enough motivation. Often they're no better. Sometimes they're worse. 5.1? Bring it on. Expanded? Sure! If I hear reports that the new master is significantly better or get the opportunity to a/b it, I'll pop. I've popped for 1/2 speed mastered LP's, Gold CD's and especially (2 ch) SACD's, all great reasons. Even the higher fidelity pressings aren't always any better. Most are better, some are actually worse.

The concert on the big screen was also shown last week( I went and it's well worth seeing if you have the opportunity).......it will be out on Blu ray eventually.

Well I've been comparing the 5.1 on the old Hybrid SACDs with the new Blu-ray...

In a nutshell.. OH MY WORD..!!! :yikes

The new Blu-ray & old SACD are NOT the same in 5.1...!!

The mixes are not identical for one - and the SACD is noticeably brighter sounding than the Blu-ray.

Loudness is similar to the point that I didn't have to shift the volume one way or the other going between them, volumes the same to me but definitely the Blu is not quite as bright... the vocals and cymbals are the giveaway, they have more punch & presence on the SACD but overemphasssssized and tizz on the ears.

The acoustic guitars muted to the point of gone in I've Seen That Movie Too on the Blu-ray! No bad thing.. It always seemed too far forward in the remix on the SACD anyway.

There is absolutely NO fade up at all at the beginning of Social Disease on the 5.1 of the Blu-ray...it's all at the same volume all the way through!!!!!! This is a very bad thing for purists.. a great thing for fanatics! It's definitely different to the old SACD!

crikey.. I was not expecting this..!!!

another 5.1 observation, now I'm playing the discs in 5.1 rather than downmixing the 5.1 on them to stereo..

..the tambourine in the rears of ATGLAlice seems louder on the old SACD than the new Blu.

I wonder if the rears have been level adjusted? (I have not altered any of the individual channel levels for front, rear or centre between playing the SACD & the Blu-ray in 5.1).

I recall criticism years ago some said the rear channels were overloud on the SACD.. for what it's worth they're still very loud and active on the Blu but certain things seem less aggressive back there, Ray's tambourine included.

the initial round the room panning of the tambourine still goes anti-clockwise round the room from rear right to front right to front left to rear left.. and subsequenty back around the room clockwise in the opposite direction in the correct sequence (well, same as the SACD anyway) before the outro.. so the channels must have been correctly mapped in the authoring of the Blu-ray, or at least the same as the SACD.

..the plot thickens! :p

another 5.1 observation, now I'm playing the discs in 5.1 rather than downmixing the 5.1 on them to stereo..

..the tambourine in the rears of ATGLAlice seems louder on the old SACD than the new Blu.

I wonder if the rears have been level adjusted? (I have not altered any of the individual channel levels for front, rear or centre between playing the SACD & the Blu-ray in 5.1).

I recall criticism years ago some said the rear channels were overloud on the SACD.. for what it's worth they're still very loud and active on the Blu but certain things seem less aggressive back there, Ray's tambourine included.

the initial round the room panning of the tambourine still goes anti-clockwise round the room from rear right to front right to front left to rear left.. and subsequenty back around the room clockwise in the opposite direction in the correct sequence (well, same as the SACD anyway) before the outro.. so the channels must have been correctly mapped in the authoring of the Blu-ray, or at least the same as the SACD.

..the plot thickens! :p

I've just been looking at the SH forum at the same time as checking back at QQ. Are you like the Rick Wakeman of the internet forum world, typing on lots of different computers at the same time with admirable dexterity?!!

Well I have to admit something here - I have never owned GBYBR in any format ever :eek:. What I would like to know is this - is this HFPA version the one that I should be getting? I'm asking you, because I'm guessing that you may have heard this album more than a couple of times before ;)

I've just been looking at the SH forum at the same time as checking back at QQ. Are you like the Rick Wakeman of the internet forum world, typing on lots of different computers at the same time with admirable dexterity?!!

Well I have to admit something here - I have never owned GBYBR in any format ever :eek:. What I would like to know is this - is this HFPA version the one that I should be getting? I'm asking you, because I'm guessing that you may have heard this album more than a couple of times before ;)

Haha! I wish I had his talent! I just like to chat! :D

I would say so yes. The HFPA is excellent in both stereo and 5.1, which is something I can't say about the old 2003 SACD.

Well I've been comparing the 5.1 on the old Hybrid SACDs with the new Blu-ray...

In a nutshell.. OH MY WORD..!!! :yikes

The new Blu-ray & old SACD are NOT the same in 5.1...!!

The mixes are not identical for one - and the SACD is noticeably brighter sounding than the Blu-ray.

crikey.. I was not expecting this..!!!

Adam, I only got the Dvd Audio of the EJ, so from what you are saying would the BR sound better than the Dvd Audio as well as weren't the Sacd and Dvd Audio the same mix from 2003 although having said that Dvd Audio and Sacd, Dvd Audio wins every time as smoother sound and i get to play Dvd Audio's in the car?
Please don't say its better as just what I need to rebuy all these in BR as I see Genesis is being rereleased in Br as well.

peter

Just ordered GYBR. I sold my DVD Audio copy years back. Can't wait to hear it again (A Night at the opera is also ordered) :)

Just ordered GYBR. I sold my DVD Audio copy years back. Can't wait to hear it again (A Night at the opera is also ordered) :)

I think (I hope!) you will be happier with your new Blu of Yellow Brick!

For ANATO, I still prefer the old DVDA for 5.1.. the BDA 5.1 is the 30th Anniversary mix & mastering, it's loud and bright..and I prefer the Sonopress 80's CD (EMI Swindon & Japan CP32 CDs are clones) for Stereo.. but the stereo is nice enough on the BD in its own right and not as loud or bright as the 5.1

GYBR is great on the BD in both Stereo and 5.1, much better than the 2003 Hybrid SACD. I haven't compared with the DVD-A.

Adam, I only got the Dvd Audio of the EJ, so from what you are saying would the BR sound better than the Dvd Audio as well as weren't the Sacd and Dvd Audio the same mix from 2003 although having said that Dvd Audio and Sacd, Dvd Audio wins every time as smoother sound and i get to play Dvd Audio's in the car?
Please don't say its better as just what I need to rebuy all these in BR as I see Genesis is being rereleased in Br as well.

peter

Heya :) I will check the BD against the DVDA as soon as I can but I think it will not be until the weekend now.

at this point I would say if you found the 5.1 on the SACD bright then I don't think you will find it as bright on the new Blu. there are also the other differences I mentioned here before. they are not identical in 5.1, which is a surprise to me. the Stereo is a huge improvement on the BD over the SACD (I mean a serious upgrade).

I don't have the Genesis BDA, only the SACD so I can't say I'm afraid.. tho Failed Muso Rob rates the BDA, IIRC :)

I think (I hope!) you will be happier with your new Blu of Yellow Brick!

For ANATO, I still prefer the old DVDA for 5.1..

..the BDA is the 30th Anniversary mix & mastering, it's loud and bright..

..and I prefer the Sonopress 80's CD (EMI Swindon & Japan CP32 CDs are clones) for Stereo..

but the stereo is nice enough on the BD.

GYBR is great on the BD in both Stereo and 5.1, much better than the 2003 Hybrid SACD. I haven't compared with the DVD-A.

DTS did a great job with the DVD Audio version. I sold that too back then.

Actually, I don't play music in 5.1 anymore - not that I don't want.. But I bought some new gear and 5.1 setup wasn't an option for me since I want a better 2 channel setup.
I have really admire 5.1 studio albums since the begiing of DVD Audio and I was dreaming for years about to "happen".. But i didn't (at least for me) Fleetwood Mac was the first DVD Audio I bought and MAN I had enjoyed that album for LOOONG time in 5.1 At that time I was playing on DALI Euphonia 5.1 system and THAT'S was great..

Now today with 3 kids alone I "just" play with my NAD C390DD amp and DALI Mentor 6 with Mentor sub and it's great for me (now) :)

Back