• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

HiRez Poll Emerson Lake & Palmer - BRAIN SALAD SURGERY [SACD]

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Please rate the SACD of Emerson, Lake and Palmer - BRAIN SALAD SURGERY

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround Mix, Poor Content

• Total voters

LuvMyQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I didn't describe it as a "loss of energy" actually. I just said it can and often does sound different. Some might consider the difference(s) better. and some not.
I'm with ssully on this one. I have converted many a DSD file to PCM. At first, I tried hard to detect differences across the first dozen conversions or so. I could never tell the DSD from the PCM. They always sounded identical. I have to assume that any differences you might hear is in the mastering or in the playback equipment.

ssully

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Why not assume 'placebo' (expectation bias)? It's equally as likely as those, if not more.

As I've said before, unless the EQ is actually different in the mixes themselves (as with BSS!), the only equipment-based audible differences that stands a decent chance of existing are between PCM vs DSD LFE level adjustment and bass management.

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I'm with ssully on this one. I have converted many a DSD file to PCM. At first, I tried hard to detect differences across the first dozen conversions or so. I could never tell the DSD from the PCM. They always sounded identical. I have to assume that any differences you might hear is in the mastering or in the playback equipment.
Well there are high end DACs that convert everything to DSD as their selling point. They claim to sound better, and have their fans. I’m not one of them, but they do exist.

So there are folks who spend big bucks to disagree. So it might be playback equipment- in this case the DAC.

Sal1950

Well there are high end DACs that convert everything to DSD as their selling point. They claim to sound better, and have their fans. I’m not one of them, but they do exist.
IMO is that such claims are just silly. If the upsampled DSD stream really sounds different than the original PCM stream, it could only be degraded, not improved. The original PCM is and remains the gold standard of that recording session.
Now if the original recording was done in DSD, the claims of improved SQ over a PCM recording done in tandem, might have enough possibility to do bias controlled listening tests and measurements. Personally I don't believe that DSD is superior in any way, but that just my opinion.

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
IMO is that such claims are just silly. If the upsampled DSD stream really sounds different than the original PCM stream, it could only be degraded, not improved. The original PCM is and remains the gold standard of that recording session.
Now if the original recording was done in DSD, the claims of improved SQ over a PCM recording done in tandem, might have enough possibility to do bias controlled listening tests and measurements. Personally I don't believe that DSD is superior in any way, but that just my opinion.
I also do not think a DSD copy could be better. I do not think DSD is as high resolution, and sure as hell is not as easy to play on most equipment. But the DACs exist that do this conversion in the name of smoother more analogue like sound quality. I was only mentioning what was on the market and that DSD has it's fans.

jimfisheye

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
100% this.
An identical master in both formats sounds identical with the same quality DA converters. You can even transcode them back and forth 100 times and they will still null. Mind your level matching when you A/B! Let one copy vary by 0.5db vs the other and the louder one always sounds better.

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I think I already said it, but "Still... You Turn Me on" is a stunning demo piece on the DVD-A. Just love the higher resolution LPCM quality. The mix is wonderful and the sound is thick, rich, and master tape "thereness". And so is the stereo mix actually. That and "From the Beginning" are my two fave ELP tracks.

That DVD-A was going for north of $150 at one time. That is until these discs became Explored, Decrypted, Ripped and Extracted!!!

shokhead

I think I already said it, but "Still... You Turn Me on" is a stunning demo piece on the DVD-A. Just love the higher resolution LPCM quality. The mix is wonderful and the sound is thick, rich, and master tape "thereness". And so is the stereo mix actually. That and "From the Beginning" are my two fave ELP tracks.

That DVD-A was going for north of $150 at one time. That is until these discs became Explored, Decrypted, Ripped and Extracted!!!
What does the Rhino DVD-A go for these days?

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
What does the Rhino DVD-A go for these days?
It's a realistic $45 to $55, and lower if inserts have any wear or damage. It's not just the ripping / burning that is a reality, but it got a SACD reissue, that helps bring down prices somewhat as well.

Group builder