Emil Torick Talks About Quadraphonic

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What he does fail to mention though is that in the early days of Quad, the decoders for vinyl were so poor, Quad was practically labelled as a fraud. I know I've spoken to multiple folks that joined the Quad Squad back in the early days and despised the fact that they threw down so much money for such little return. One dude I talked to had what he thinks he remembers as a Sansui 6500, and he clearly recalls blowing it up with blasting caps along side the railroad track. That's how upset with the whole ordeal he was.

Guess he wasn't an 8-track or Reel guy.

But I do also think the multiple Format setup also really hurt sales of both records and equipment. Not to mention the same record company trying out multiple formats didn't help. You know, you buy the first QS A&M title, buy a QS decoder (or QS-equipped system) only for later A&M releases to come out in SQ or CD-4.
It would've cost an awful lot for just your average consumer.

Funny thing though...Having a speaker in each corner of a room sure did improve stereo records. It gave them depth that they didn't have in a two speaker system.

I started in 1970 with a SQ-L then a Vista (kit form full logic with wave matching). Finally ended up with a SQD-2020 plus CD-4.

The factors Torick states are true enough, but only part of the bigger picture. And yes, history did repeat itself, yet as we have seen in the new century, SACD hasn't been killed off but, rather, been used mainly for audiophile-oriented releases, and marketed that way. He does state one aspect we tend to ignore, though: the higher list price for quad editions. That was a major error on everybody's part, it would have been wiser to charge no more than a regular stereo Lp. And, of course, if certain major artists and titles had been pressed ONLY in quad, as were ALOHA, BEST OF THE DOORS and ARETHA, some others, consumers would have been forced to buy a quad record, and found that it played just fine in stereo (presumably).

ED :)

And, of course, if certain major artists and titles had been pressed ONLY in quad, as were ALOHA, BEST OF THE DOORS and ARETHA, some others, consumers would have been forced to buy a quad record, and found that it played just fine in stereo (presumably).

ED :)

That's certainly how the record industry transitioned from Mono to Stereo LPs. The practice of issuing separate Mono and Stereo releases of the same title ended. Instead, there was one compatible Stereo LP for everyone. When that happened, the Stereo LP began to take over.

And yes, history did repeat itself, yet as we have seen in the new century, SACD hasn't been killed off but, rather, been used mainly for audiophile-oriented releases, and marketed that way.
Hello Ed.

I wonder how will Sony handle SACD and BD Pure Audio being both audiophile formats and both Sony's.

Hello Ed.

I wonder how will Sony handle SACD and BD Pure Audio being both audiophile formats and both Sony's.

There are many formats out there that Sony - and the other record labels support (CD, DVD Video, DSD & FLAC Music Downloads, etc.)
The real key is if the music sells, the labels will be there.

There are many formats out there that Sony - and the other record labels support (CD, DVD Video, DSD & FLAC Music Downloads, etc.)
The real key is if the music sells, the labels will be there.
I mean from the technology stance, sort of "We used to say that PCM and encoded formats were inferior to DSD but now we..."

Anyway, I think BDPA it is a logical strategy and hope it succeeds.

I mean from the technology stance, sort of "We used to say that PCM and encoded formats were inferior to DSD but now we..."

Anyway, I think BDPA it is a logical strategy and hope it succeeds.

As always, we will see what happens.

On Sony, at The Show in Newport Beach, they were demonstrating high resolution music downloads from the Sony catalog. No BD Audio being shown or demonstrated by Sony there.

Ultimately, the compatibility of stereo records with mono players in the late sixties was a result of changing pickups in mono players to have vertical compliance and had really nothing to do with the records themselves.

You will note that the manufacturers' wording on album covers would state that the enclosed record was compatible with MODERN mono players which, of course, meant players with the modern mono pickups which were made just like stereo pickups but bridged to mono.

The Haeco/GCS system was an attempt at correcting certain anomalies occuring when attempting to play stereo discs on mono players but had nothing to do with the physical differences.

Doug

Back