Facts on Atmos streaming bitrates?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are correct there. If a user does not have an Atmos decoder they only get 'base' 5.1 or 7.1 depending on the channel encoder config above.

Also: My Denon AVR X7200WA needs a full reset about once a year as it gets 'stuck' in a mode that doesn't recognize Atmos. It gets stuck in 'stereo' and not play multi-channel FLAC files in 5.1, only as stereo about once a year or so. I've got no idea why as I never change any AVR settings. Its always left as is and I only ever switch inputs and change volume. No firmware updates available for about 3 or 4 years now.

I've discovered a way to link my Chromecast with Google TV to my computer, allowing the video feed to be streamed. This setup enables me to monitor real-time data usage while streaming Atmos tracks on Tidal. Using Wi-Fi Direct, the Chromecast is directly connected to my PC, allowing for the monitoring of data consumption. I conducted a video test without any sound to assess the method's functionality and accuracy. While there is visible data usage, making it feasible to estimate average bitrates, it's important to note that occasional buffering may impact the precision of this method as a measuring tool.

I’d be wary of using network traffic to judge audio bitrate. There could be all kinds of things going on behind the scenes that aren’t raw audio data.

Back