Favorite Album Art part ii - Albums with multiple variations of the cover artwork

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Garfunkel's "Fate for Breakfast" had a bunch of variations, but the album was a bomb so no one ever saw most of them.

Here are 6 of them grabbed from Google Images

View attachment 50014
I suppose the album was ill fated.

I'm surprised that "Blind Faith" hasn't come up in the discussion. I would post pictures of the very well known album covers except for the fact that the, shall we say, "controversial version" doesn't fare too well from a social mores perspective in 2020. Not that rock has ever concerned itself with such matters, but still...

I thought we weren’t doing different covers in different countries ? ;)

Because if we’re doing that, may I present you with The Strokes first album ?

US cover:
R-371293-1249548918.jpeg.jpg

Is this it?

European cover (NSFW):
R-367912-1151131571.jpeg.jpg

This is it! :giggle:

Because if we’re doing that, may I present you with The Strokes first album ?

US cover:
R-371293-1249548918.jpeg.jpg

Is this it?

European cover (NSFW):
R-367912-1151131571.jpeg.jpg

This is it! :giggle:
European version wins again !

Led Zeppelin’s In Through the Outdoor had multiple versions - same bar seen from different angles sold with a brown paper cover so you didn’t know what version it was until opening it.

Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour.
US album coupled all songs on UK MMT 2 x 7" EP w/recent singles.

Cover variations include UK MMT 7", US LP, German LP (red cover/no booklet) & MoFi 1/2 speed The Collection LP box. MoFi box has photos of master tape boxes on LP sleeves. Full Sleeve is printed in 12" size book w/all original LP covers, front, back, etc. MoFi individual MMT LP packages have US cover w/ blue "Original Master Recording" banner at top.

There are slight variations on covers, such as HorZu Red cover (instead of Apple logo), mono EP's & LP's. Labels may vary, as well.

Wiki article w/UK & US cover pix: Magical Mystery Tour - Wikipedia

Discogs article on German LP w/front, back & LP label pix: The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour Plus Other Songs

Record Mecca pix of MoFi 1/2 speed LP box & sleeves:
https://recordmecca.com/item-archives/the-beatles-mobile-fidelity-14-lp-box-set-283/

Last edited:
There are several on this list that I own. To me, owning every cover SOLELY for a variation is just stamp collecting. I haven't gone that crazy yet.

In the Out Door has all covers in black Japan CD albums box sold in the US. There is only one disc. It also includes both the blue & red font covers of Led Zeppelin (I).

Believe it or not, I never paid attention to the Fate for Breakfast covers. I got a promo LP when I worked for CBS. I later bought the CD. I'm a completeist. Not sure if I still have that LP. Although I'm a big Garfunkel fan, Fate is one of my least fave albums of his. Caught him live both solo and w/Simon & Everleys on Old Friends tour. Get the SACDs or Quads of Angel Clare and Breakaway (IMHO, Breakaway is his best.)

Originally, I had the beige Blind Faith cover. I got it for $1 sealed. All my CD/SACD's are the girl cover. I'm not offended by that cover.

I'm not offended by the Euro Electric Ladyland cover. I've owned 5 versions of it. It is reputed that Hendrix didn't like it. I look at it as celebrating women for both their beauty and imperfections.

Last edited:

Franco and ... Leonid and Warhol (main) contribute...
RS - Sticky Fingers.jpg

Stones keep Rolling...

PS
Leonid banned the album... Franco only banned the track Sister Morphine
In 1992, the album was finally released in Russia featured a similar treatment as the original cover, but with significant differences. It has Cyrillic lettering, a colourised photograph of blue jeans with a zipper, and a Soviet Army uniform belt buckle that shows a hammer and sickle inscribed in a star. The model appears to be a woman, rather than the man on the original version.

Last edited:
Can anyone explain these two covers? The one on top is what I bought back in '75 (covered in dark shrink wrap). Somewhere along the line, the bottom one started to appear on CD's, posters, etc. and seems to be the more common of the two. It looks to me like this was shot on two different occasions. Even the Thorgerson/Powell book For the Love of Vinyl-The Album Art of Hipgnosis doesn't mention different versions of this cover. I was always an album cover junkie and this one has bugged me for years. For what it's worth, I much prefer the top one.

1588129048886.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Change_(album) said:
Sea Change was released with four different album covers, each version containing distinct digital artwork by Jeremy Blake on the CD and the booklet. There were also different hidden messages (lyrical snippets) written under each version's CD tray.

To me, owning every cover SOLELY for a variation is just stamp collecting. I haven't gone that crazy yet.

Much agreed. It is much more fun to engage in this form of trainspotting (with or without the drugs) in the era of Google Images and so on, whereby one does not have to spend hard cash to collect them all.

Interesting thread.

Back