Quantcast

Favorite speaker setup for Atmos music (i.e. Abbey Road)

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

marpow

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
This is where mine are going (circled red; on ceiling and only as wide as fronts)View attachment 59619, as per Dolby.
That is a good plan and is exactly my starting point. In the end I am a little off of the perfect Dolby example as you show. By the time the sound actually came through the speakers moving fronts, theater seats (just a two seater in my room) I would say my front L/R is about 6" off to outside of heights, my dual theater seat is closer to my rear heights than fronts by 1'.

The biggest thing is I seriously wanted to do my two rears as in this diagram you show but the back height of the theater seat absorbed too much sound and I didn't like it. My rears are now more in line with my ears, quite challenging as the rear left is closer to my head. but with a little moving and setting the delays in the AVR I am 90% there. Wall treatments when they arrive will change things again.
IMG_0917.jpg
IMG_0918.jpg

Hamilton59

701 Club - QQ All-Star
Hmmm - so they are saying the the height "front's are actually on the side walls? Is this how all our Atmos owners are doing it?
They certainly are promoting their speakers mounted on the sides but they do refer to the Dolby Speaker guides as well. I auditioned my height speakers mounted to the sides in the fronts and rears and did not like the effect at all. I could easily tell the sounds were coming from the sides, not in front and behind me.
I had a similar problem with the front height speakers mounted high on the front wall firing down towards me. I could easily hear them being front speakers. Even mounted up high at the ceiling, they were only 3.5 feet higher than the top of my front Klipsch RF7ii. I sit 17’ away from my front speakers so there were only a few degrees of separation between them.
My rear height speakers are mounted high up on the wall behind me and they do sound ok.

weekendtoy

600 Club - QQ All-Star
So, here we are a year later and the room isn't done yet (no work from April 1 til now). But now that we are going to try and resurrect all that remodeling activity, I am close to ordering the two pair of black SVS Prime Elevations for my ceiling mounted front and rear height speakers (I may have my Atmos speaker position nomenclature wrong :) ).

Before I do I want to put to bed one final category of speaker for any possibilities, and that's the fairly long list of reputable speaker companies (inc KEF, Klipsch) that make "toppers" for their more-floor-oriented speakers; namely, Atmos bounce speaker add--ons that portend to bounce realistic sound off the ceiling. Don't get me wrong, I am not looking to do that...I am looking to find if anyone has used these toppers as down-firing ceiling speakers? Their lower profile and angled fronts make them worth one last look, but if they are not even able to be positioned or attached to a ceiling, then nevermind.
I use the SVS Prive Elevation speakers for my front and rear heights. I have been really happy with them and the mounting brackets are nice with a near flush mount to both the wall and ceiling.

Attachments

Mcallister

Check out Rob Hahns theater on avsforum. Professionally designed over million dollar theater room. He uses the JBL SCS-8’s as his Atmos (M2 LCR) and there is a lot of good talk about them in the thread. Obviously the quested would probably be better but they also are 8 times the cost,

CINERAMAX

read my article, it also criticizes the tops speaker at Rob Hahns, Alcons audio blows it out of the water, my calibrator has 9 m2 for surrounds, read what he said, JBL is highly overrated period.

Last edited:

CINERAMAX

And so that you don't think I am punching up to Keith....

2 Million

This room buries Rob Hahns. Sorry.

ps. I apologize for the apparent tirade, but when I hear Rob Hahn's name thrown about as gospel, it sounds to me like every time "Randolph Scott"'s name was spoken in Blazing Saddles.
Unwarrantedly over-dietysized. I have the files to prove. Carry on.

Last edited:

CINERAMAX

What dont you like about using the JBL SCS's as Atmos heights?
TIME SMEAR endemic to all horns. A term Keith Yates sticks his head underground about in his so white condescending way, but read what TOM BACK said. Keith's designs may be brilliant but they leave no budget for good equipment case in point RH's.

ted_b

QQ Supporter
This thread of mine has gotten totally out of control, with "my di** is bigger than your di**", name dropping industry guys and showing $2M rooms. WTF!!! The essence of what I wanted to do with Atmos heights is now totally lost. Let's take a deep breath and get back to my thread; these million dollar HT budgets need to be proudly displayed in another more relevant thread, please. Thx :)

So.... ALL JBLs have time smearing? OK, I will keep that in mind if and when I can demo them. I've heard dozens of JBL large and modified presentations, and usually the overall feeling is a good one. Not my choice for main transducers, but the size, budget and aiming capabilities of these SCS-8s looked promising as height candidates.

CINERAMAX

take a look at pmc ci series, great value and what universal, abbey road, kraftwerk, booka use for atmos mixing, very wide controlled dispersion and goes down to 40. peace out.
FWIW time smear becomes aggravatingly fatiguing after about 2 weeks of listening. Try borrowing a pair for an extended trial.

Last edited:

tcdriver

Since 2002/2003
I am almost finished with my room, just waiting for the wall treatments to arrive from GIK Acoustics. After they arrive I will do my final tuning but sure is sweet so far. My room is 12' X 14'.
I have 5 speakers on the floor, 4 ceiling speakers for Atmos and 3 subwoofers.

The 4 Atmos speakers (B&W CCM7.5 S2) are tilt able to the listening position. They are in line with my two front speakers on floor. Two front heights are between front speakers and myself, two rear heights are between the back of my head and wall.
Note: My experience so far with Atmos heights is sometimes spectacular, most of time not. Movies seem to embrace the Atmos more than music only discs, music only discs are little weak except for some exceptions, Booka Shade, etc.
The envelope of sound is very cool even when not hearing discrete artifacts.
The foundation floor speakers are still the engine of all.

My 3 subs, all REL S5 (rear sub), S510 (for front L/R) and S812 (for center) are really great. I thought that REL was crazy suggesting that set up to me based on a 12' X 14' room, but really glad I listened. They are tuned perfectly, they do not wall shake, there is just this nice layer of low frequency that ties the bottom in and pressures the room just right, they are not turned up to shake but on movies sometimes they do a little.

The front and rear subs used for the floor speakers are LFE connected from two separate sub outs of my AVR and High Frequency speakon cable connected to amp speaker posts. I had some minor feed back and by disconnecting the black speakon wire the hum went away.

The 3rd sub for center channel is NOT connected to LFE but High Frequency cable only, red and yellow to amp end and black to phono ground of AVR (another help in eliminating hum).
As I said in the beginning I am still tweaking it out with minor placement of speakers adjusting my brain to certain imaging and reflection. Did I say my sitting spot is off center, my right armrest of my chair is center, so the center of my head is off about 8-10 inches.
I have been successful using mono recordings to dial in the center image between left and right mains, so now my stereo image sounds better.
Since this picture was taken the two fronts are moved towards center about 2" from audio rack, the two subs are now angled diagonally, IsoAcoustic Gaia II feet have been added to the two floor standers, and the new carpet finally lays flat.
I have started to turn off my tweaking brain and start to just enjoy what I have, believe it or not this is challenging to get out of that head space to want to improve, not even sure I know what to improve anymore.
View attachment 59618
Wow! That is a really impressive system. I can only imagine how good it must sound. Nice work. :LB