Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched Italian director Michelangelo Antonioni's controversial [at the time] cinematic potpourri BLOW~UP last night, superbly remastered by the folks at CRITERION which I always thought was a study in Nihilism as David Hemming's 'detached' character drifts through London's swingin' 60's wielding his camera as though if it doesn't exist through his camera's lens ... it doesn't exist at ALL.

While photographing a couple arguing in the park, however, his lens picks up what appears to be a murder in progress. One of the participants, a resplendent Vanessa Redgrave even goes so far as to visit his photography studio and tries to seduce him in an attempt to retrieve the negatives.

Herbie Hancock's ultra cool jazz scoring coupled with an appearance by the Yardbirds only adds to Antonioni's vision of 60's London and the cinematography and editing are on par with Antonioni's finest creations.

VERY Highly Recommended

714W2dTdi8L._SL1500_.jpg

I watched Italian director Michelangelo Antonioni's controversial [at the time] cinematic potpourri BLOW~UP last night, superbly remastered by the folks at CRITERION which I always thought was a study in Nihilism as David Hemming's 'detached' character drifts through London's swingin' 60's wielding his camera as though if it doesn't exist through his camera's lens ... it doesn't exist at ALL.

While photographing a couple arguing in the park, however, his lens picks up what appears to be a murder in progress. One of the participants, a resplendent Vanessa Redgrave even goes so far as to visit his photography studio and tries to seduce him in an attempt to retrieve the negatives.

Herbie Hancock's ultra cool jazz scoring coupled with an appearance by the Yardbirds only adds to Antonioni's vision of 60's London and the cinematography and editing are on par with Antonioni's finest creations.

VERY Highly Recommended

714W2dTdi8L._SL1500_.jpg
A great flick indeed. Are you gonna follow it up with de Palma's Blow Out soon?

Antonioni's The Passenger is also a fun summer watch for me.

I'm up to Season 4 in Northern Exposure and there was an episode I watched recently with an old David Hemmings and a young John Hawkes in it.

Good times.

A great flick indeed. Are you gonna follow it up with de Palma's Blow Out soon?

Antonioni's The Passenger is also a fun summer watch for me.

I'm up to Season 4 in Northern Exposure and there was an episode I watched recently with an old David Hemmings and a young John Hawkes in it.

Good times.

I watched Antonioni's 'vision of the American wasteland' Zabriskie Point recently [desperately in need of an upgrade] but haven't watched THE PASSENGER with Jack Nicholson since its release years ago. Am still awaiting a UHD4K remaster of LAST TANGO IN PARIS.

As far as Northern Exposure.....I only watched Season I but was amazed at the BD~V remaster.

Way too much to watch and the ole cliche .... TOO LITTLE TIME!

BLOW OUT won't be out until September ...... I do have the older CRITERION BD~V from 2011 ...... a great flick! One of Travolta's finest performances.

Last edited:
I watched Antonioni's 'vision of the American wasteland' Zabriskie Point recently [desperately in need of an upgrade] but haven't watched THE PASSENGER with Jack Nicholson since its release years ago. Am still awaiting a UHD4K remaster of LAST TANGO IN PARIS.

As far as Northern Exposure.....I only watched Season I but was amazed at the BD~V remaster.

Way too much to watch and the ole cliche .... TOO LITTLE TIME!

BLOW OUT won't be out until September ...... I do have the older CRITERION BD~V from 2011 ...... a great flick! One of Travolta's finest performances.
Yeah, I bought Arrow's Blow Out a while ago and haven't watched it yet only to hear Criterion are releasing it on 4K soon - argh! At least 4K releases are becoming more frequent.

Yeah, I bought Arrow's Blow Out a while ago and haven't watched it yet only to hear Criterion are releasing it on 4K soon - argh! At least 4K releases are becoming more frequent.

Since sound design plays such an integral role in BLOW OUT, wonder if Criterion will upgrade the codec to either Dolby Atmos or remixed DTS~HD MA 5.1?

The 2011 Criterion release sported a dolby surround codec .... How about the ARROW edition, Pete?

Since sound design plays such an integral role in BLOW OUT, wonder if Criterion will upgrade the codec to either Dolby Atmos or remixed DTS~HD MA 5.1?

The 2011 Criterion release sported a dolby surround codec .... How about the ARROW edition, Pete?
Specs are out for it, it seems like it’s the same DTS MA 5.1 that was on their 1080p standard Blu :/

I grow increasingly suspicious that even if I stop buying movies (HA HA HA HA), I will not have time in my life to get through my to-be-watched pile. :D

And even though, increasingly, a LOT of films are making their way to STREAMING in 4K, you still cannot beat the quality of a bona fide physical UHD4K disc ....at least in MOST cases!

And even though, increasingly, a LOT of films are making their way to STREAMING in 4K, you still cannot beat the quality of a bona fide physical UHD4K disc ....at least in MOST cases!
Yes. Interestingly, it makes a much bigger difference on my $400 65" Black Friday special TV in my bedroom than it does on my new Sony 77A80J. (Sony has a reputation for having the best processing for sub-par sources.) But yes, discs always look better.

That said, I can't buy the discs for everything I want to watch. Streaming is for casual stuff. Discs are for movies/TV I love.

Just checked the back of the Arrow BD: DTS-MA 2.0. Criminal for a movie where the audio is a key plot point!

Just checked Criterion's website (ugh, the navigation is as weird as their disc menus) and the 4K audio specs are: "4K UHD and Blu-ray: New 4K digital restoration, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack".

Say what?

Back