Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night I watched Michael Bay's [yeah, THAT Michael Bay] non stop action bank heist gone wrong thriller AMBULANCE..... In what one Amazon reviewer described as PURE BAYHEM!

Universal has provided an absolute state of the art reference disc with an incredibly effective Dolby ATMOS soundtrack. At a little over two hours, I was blown away that all the incredible over the top action sequences were performed in REAL TIME and NOT CGI!

A compelling drama with an actual story, plot and fine performances from Jake Gyllenhaal and company!

And one of those incredible 'deals' which Amazon blew out for under $10

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Ambulance-4K-Blu-ray/303829/#Review
26080_1_large.jpg

To Live and Die in LA (1985) 4K:

1. Amazon.com

2. Same DTS-MA 5.1 as the previous BD. Suffers a bit from that mid-80's-to-mid-90's trend of making some music REALLY loud relative to every other sound. Not a major though.

3. I've watched this recently again on BD to see if I "needed" the 4K upgrade and it turns out, I did! Image is superb.

4. Such a cool flick. William L Petersen shoulda been huge.

I watched SHOUT FACTORY'S UHD4K [Steelbook] remaster of Brian DePalma's CARRIE the other night and was stunned at the exceptional uptick in quality via the 4K format [HDR10/Dolby Vision/Choice of DTS~HD MA dual Mono or repurposed DTS~HD MA 5.1 which I opted for]

A daring film for its time based on the Stephen King novel! Sissy Spacek and screen mother Piper Laurie were over the top superb! And John Travolta co~ stars in an early role!

The 5.1 soundtrack was tame but effective!

Well worth the upgrade from the older 1080p BD~V!

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Carrie-4K-Blu-ray/325109/#Review

Another excellent Stephen King adapted screenplay [written by the KING himself] is SHOUT FACTORY'S new Native UHD4K restoration of SILVER BULLET with a pre~Lost Boys Corey Haim and an over the top Gary Busey! A remarkable state of the art transfer with a very serviceable Dual Mono soundtrack which I played back in ALL CHANNEL STEREO [does sound FANTASTIC].

Even though Werewolves don't exist .... in King's world they're alive and well and roam the darkest corners of the author's beloved Maine. The detail in the transfer is nothing short of state of the art.

Highly Recommended to those who believe in lycanthropic lore and the power of a silver bullet [which also doubles as character Haim's souped~up wheel chair] to fell the beast!

R.6bf2ed9a4289ca919a1f0cc78e7a9ef8

Duel (1971) 4K:

1. Amazon.com

2. Atmos surround mix is really, really good. Discrete and continuous throughout. Worth it for this alone and the Dolby Vision 4K image looks superb.

3. Such a great flick that I must have seen about 20 times but still find riveting.

4. Includes a 2K version of the original 1.33:1 TV movie cut.

HOLD THE PRESSES: An outstandingly positive review of John Milius' CONAN THE BARBARIAN with ARNOLD in, count 'em, THREE CUTS [Theatrical, International & Extended] on a seamless 100GB disc from ARROW VIDEO with a repurposed Dolby ATMOS soundtrack:

http://thedigitalbits.com/item/conan-the-barbarian-le-arrow-2024-uhd

R.bf93bcbadb33bff278db9711846253cb

"I'll be BACK" ...... [Oops, Wrong Movie!]

Last edited:
HOLD THE PRESSES: An outstandingly positive review of John Milius' CONAN THE BARBARIAN with ARNOLD in, count 'em, THREE CUTS [Theatrical, International & Extended] on a seamless 100GB disc from ARROW VIDEO with a repurposed Dolby ATMOS soundtrack:

http://thedigitalbits.com/item/conan-the-barbarian-le-arrow-2024-uhd

R.bf93bcbadb33bff278db9711846253cb

"I'll be BACK" ...... [Oops, Wrong Movie!]
BTW, this edition is SOLD OUT even on Arrow's OWN website. Hopefully, with so much hoopla surrounding this particular release Arrow will order a repress!

https://www.arrowvideo.com/conan-the-barbarian-limited-edition-4k-uhd/14976084.html
Conan The Barbarian Limited Edition 4K UHD

Last edited:
Highdefdigest's HIGHLY RECOMMENDED review of director John Sayles LONE STAR [Native UHD4K/HDR10/Dolby VISION/DTS~HD MA 2.0 SURROUND}

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/123569/lonestarthecriterioncollection4kultrahdbluray.html

R.f74603fe9af0682649e0d8eb61cd5c8b
This is a much better take on the film than the poor bluray.com review. Lone Star is stellar, and easily in my top ten list of dramatic movies. Also, the 4K not only looks miles better than I've ever seen, but sports clearly defined sound effects and dialogue. It's a must-have disc for me.

Coming April 24th from Blue Underground [Native UHD4K Restoration/HDR10/DOLBY VISION/DTS~HD MA 1.0 MONO]

The film considered too shocking for the world! Written, edited, produced and directed by Gualtiero Jacopetti and Franco Prosperi of MONDO CANE fame, this epic recreation of the American slave trade atrocities was both condemned as depraved exploitation and acclaimed as an unprecedented cry of Black anguish and rage. The Detroit Chronicle hailed it as "a graphic, moving, nerve-paralyzing film." Legendary film critic Pauline Kael called it "the most specific and rabid incitement of the race war." It became one of the most reviled and misunderstood films of its time. Five decades cannot diminish GOODBYE UNCLE TOM's impact or quiet its controversy as it has become even more relevant TODAY!

In 1971, distributors forced the filmmakers to completely re-cut the film and radically re-write its extreme narration, removing more than 13 minute of race-war politics and inserting alternate scenes - creating what would become an entirely different film - before it could be released. Now more than 50 years later, both versions of GOODBYE UNCLE TOM can finally be seen in brand-new restorations, scanned in 4K 16-bit from their original negatives, with Dolby Vision HDR & newly restored DTS-HD Master Audio, and packed with over 5 hours of Extras!

81o1tPyJatL._SL1500_.jpg

Serpico (1973) 4K:

1. Amazon.com

2. DTS-MA 5.1 has some moments of discrete surround activity. It's not consistent throughout but is better than nothing. Fidelity is great throughout.

3. Image is superb but I found it to be a tad dark. Nowhere near as bad as Heat though and the colours are fine so it's not a showstopper.

4. Great flick. Pacino and Lumet ruled.

I watched Kino Lorber's SUPERB UHD4K presentation of director Michael Cimino's THUNDERBOLT & LIGHTFOOT actually for the first time and enjoyed it immensely. Colors popped but the DTS~HD MA 5.1 soundtrack was meh ... I suggest if you do watch it, play the Stereo dolby surround track for much better immersion.

All the leads, Clint Eastwood, Jeff Bridges and the always gruff George Kennedy did a yeoman's job of bringing Cimino's sprawling tale to life!

Highly Recommended!

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Thunderbolt-and-Lightfoot-4K-Blu-ray/325902/#Review
29123_20_large.jpg

Last edited:
Back