Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know what this is, but 4K for $6.50 with a pretty face and I'm sold!

It’s quite a good movie. You’ll enjoy.

I’m not buying anywhere near as many movies as I used to and almost always wait for them to go on ‘twofer’ sales, end of financial year or even Black Friday sales. Only rarely do I buy a new release these days. Australian new release pricing is ridiculous ($40 for a 4K new release!)

I think I need to start spending some money on my very favorite titles that are in 4K. I wonder if they will do any of the old spaghetti westerns of Clint Eastwood......Good/Bad/Ugly would be epic....
For fans of the western movies perhaps, you'll will like this "most dangerous" concert. Excellent renditions of several western movie tunes including "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly". It is an awesome concert, not necessarily in the surround aspect though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HNFL7S6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is a video from it:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...9154AD883BE5D2C5A6AF9154AD883BE5D&FORM=VDRVRV

Watched this last night.
Studs, leather and kicking ass; Ducati hugging action hero, Claire Foy, not the Queen I remember!.
This movie has a James Bond feel to it.

91tbOMxE1QL._SX466_.jpg

blu-ray.com said:
Baby Driver's Dolby Atmos soundtrack is perhaps more a revelation than the UHD's video quality. This is a substantial improvement over the 5.1 track on the Blu-ray, and for a movie in which sound and music play such critical roles, it's unsurprising but also reinforces the notion that Blu-ray buyers are getting shortchanged. The track is fantastic. It takes full advantage of the increased real estate, presenting an expansive, highly detailed, fluid, and engaging listen from start to finish. Musical definition is wonderful, immersion is constant and smooth, and every note, each lyric, everything is presented with film-complimenting and ear-satisfying precision. Right from a tone that starts the movie, which enjoys a full-stage and top-end dispersal, the track never fails to engage every inch with sonic goodness. Screaming police sirens spill from every speaker with an overhead diffusion a part of the equation. Shootouts offer substantial power, diversity of sound placement, and total stage saturation, whether out in open spaces or throughout a parking garage where a key sequence takes place. Support elements take full advantage of the top layer to pull listeners into a stormy and rainy location. A helicopter hovers overhead later in the film, police radio chatter seems to come from all around, and there are plenty of other examples of very fine or very pronounced full-stage and top-end engagement. The track never disappoints, never relents. Precisely positioned and prioritized dialogue round one of the most enjoyable Atmos tracks to date into reference-quality form.

Last edited:
1. "Bellbottoms" Jon Spencer Blues Explosion 5:17
2. "Harlem Shuffle" Bob & Earl 2:52
3. "Egyptian Reggae" Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers 2:37
4. "Smokey Joe's La La" Googie René 3:02
5. "Let's Go Away for Awhile" The Beach Boys 2:21
6. "B-A-B-Y" Carla Thomas 2:57
7. "Kashmere" Kashmere Stage Band 4:57
8. "Unsquare Dance" Dave Brubeck 2:00
9. "Neat Neat Neat" The Damned 2:42
10. "Easy" (single version) The Commodores 4:16
11. "Debora" T. Rex 3:19
12. "Debra" Beck 5:43
13. "Bongolia" Incredible Bongo Band 2:15
14. "Baby Let Me Take You (In My Arms)" The Detroit Emeralds 3:53
15. "Early in the Morning" Alexis Korner 3:01
16. "The Edge" David McCallum 2:54
17. "Nowhere to Run" Martha and the Vandellas 3:02
18. "Tequila" The Button Down Brass 3:32
19. "When Something Is Wrong with My Baby" Sam & Dave 3:16
20. "Every Little Bit Hurts" Brenda Holloway 2:57
21. "Intermission" Blur 2:27
22. "Hocus Pocus" (original single version) Focus 3:18
23. "Radar Love" (1973 single edit) Golden Earring 3:44
24. "Never, Never Gonna Give Ya Up" Barry White (RIP my emphasis) 4:51
25. "Know How" Young MC 4:02
26. "Brighton Rock" Queen 5:10
27. "Easy" Sky Ferreira 4:28
28. "Baby Driver" Simon & Garfunkel 3:16
29. "Was He Slow?" (credit roll version) Kid Koala featuring Kevin Spacey and Jon Bernthal 1:47
30. "Chase Me" Danger Mouse featuring Run the Jewels and Big Boi

Even Paul Williams

There's even some R.E.M unaccredited background music (it's those "little bits and pieces" that John Lydon says makes up Life and in this soundtrack it's the unaccredited "background" music that really gels the whole movie together).

not to mention the epic House of Pain - Jump Around song opening

There's literally three different versions of "Easy" That's a FIRST AFAIK (and that's not including Faith No More's version which was " unescuably not included??)

All in glorious Atmos! (I run a 7.2.4 setup with Pioneer SC-97, Martin Logan Center, Bower's & Wilkins Surround(s), Def Tech (surrounds with point 1 bass ea)., Kef sub, Boston Acoustics sub)

I'm gonna do an A:B with my other B&W center that has 2 mid ranges (vs my ML which only has 1 mid) to see if there's a dif.

This is one of the best surround (and Atmos to boot) presentations I've ever heard.

Academy Awards March 4, 2018
Best Film Editing Paul Machliss and Jonathan Amos Nominated
Best Sound Editing Julian Slater Nominated
Best Sound Mixing Tim Cavagin, Mary H. Ellis and Julian Slater Nominated

^New Kids on the Block (one's to look out for ;))

This is exactly why EVERYONE should be happy about Dolby releasing 1000's of obscure songs in Atmos.

Imagine Baby Driver times 1000! GTFOH

Last edited:
Black Hawk Down 4K: Picked this up for $15 from JB Hifi. Superb picture and surround mix (Atmos but Dolby TrueHD 5.1 at my place). Cranked it up as loud as I could handle. The 4K disc is 99GB and had the Theatrical and Extended cuts on it. I watched the Extended cut (not sure what's different between the two). An entertaining watch.

Nicolas Roeg's Don't Look Now [Studio Canal/Native 4K from OCN/Poster/Lobby Cards/ Soundtrack on separate RBCD]

• BRAND NEW 4K 16-BIT RESTORATION FROM THE OCN, WITH COLOR GRADING BY CINEMATOGRAPHER ANTHONY B. RICHMOND, COMPLETED IN 2019.
  • ORIGINAL FILM SOUNDTRACK BY PINO DONAGGIO PLACED ON CD DISC
  • NEW Pass The Warning: Reflecting on Nic Roeg's masterpiece: new documentary featuring interviews with David Cronenberg, Danny Boyle, Brad Bird, Andrew Haigh, Stephen Woolley, Peter Bradshaw and more.
  • NEW A Kaleidoscope of Meaning: Color in Don't Look Now - Featurette
  • NEW The New 4K Restoration - restoration featurette
  • Audio commentary with Nic Roeg
  • Interviews with Donald Sutherland, Pino Donaggio, Allan Scott, Tony Richmond, Danny Boyle
  • Don't Look Now: Looking Back - Featurette
  • Behind the Scenes stills gallery
ALSO:
  • The Collector's Edition also includes the theatrical poster, art cards, and a booklet with an essay, an original press interview with Nic Roeg and script extracts from the BFI archive. (See photo attached below).

Steelbook edition also available

8177ulfRTIL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, I just went through my video library to see what I've got in 4k, and it's coming along (mostly thanks to suggestions from 4-earredwonder)... now I just have to unbox my OPPO 203 and get a 4k monitor, lol. Here's what I've got so far:
-Bram Stoker's Dracula
-Ex Machina
-It
-Saving Private Ryan
-Pacific Rim
-Kingsman The Golden Circle
-Gladiator
-Oblivion
-Ready Player One
-Mission Impossible 6 Movie Collection
-Jack Ryan 5 Film Collection
-Mad Max Fury Road
-Baby Driver
-A Few Good Men

Edited 12:13PM- Just added:
-The Incredibles 1 & 2
-Superman: The Movie
-Aquaman
-Bumblebee
-King Kong

4-earredwonder (or anyone else), If there are any really standout 4ks that I need to add, please let me know :)
(I'm only buying 4ks that I either don't own in any format or don't already own on blu-ray - although if the Lord of The Rings extended versions eventually come out in 4k, I'll have to replace my blu-rays!)

Last edited:
Wow, I just went through my video library to see what I've got in 4k, and it's coming along (mostly thanks to suggestions from 4-earredwonder)... now I just have to unbox my OPPO 203 and get a 4k monitor, lol. Here's what I've got so far:
-Bram Stoker's Dracula
-Ex Machina
-It
-Saving Private Ryan
-Pacific Rim
-Kingsman The Golden Circle
-Gladiator
-Oblivion
-Ready Player One
-Mission Impossible 6 Movie Collection
-Jack Ryan 5 Film Collection
-Mad Max Fury Road
-Baby Driver
-A Few Good Men

Edited 12:13PM- Just added:
-The Incredibles 1 & 2
-Superman: The Movie
-Aquaman
-Bumblebee
-King Kong

4-earredwonder (or anyone else), If there are any really standout 4ks that I need to add, please let me know :)
(I'm only buying 4ks that I either don't own in any format or don't already own on blu-ray - although if the Lord of The Rings extended versions eventually come out in 4k, I'll have to replace my blu-rays!)
No kidding, your 4k collection is coming along ! Just wait till thanksgiving for the titles you are not in immediate need of getting. I bought a whole bunch last year and haven't gotten past more than a quarter of it. Also, seriously unbox that damn Oppo 203 , get yourself an LG or whatever OLED TV and start enjoying it.

Back