Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3. I noticed something weird that I think I've narrowed down to the Dolby Vision layer and wanted to see if anyone who has this 4K disc and a player capable of DV can test? Here's the thing:

a. I backed up the 4K disc to MKV and played it back via a Zidoo Z9X media player which is capable of handling DV.
b. At around 44 minutes into it just after the seagull scene, the camera pans quickly to the left and then up to the top of the lighthouse. During this pan-up, the lighthouse becomes all pixelated and there are artefacts in the sky background around the top of the lighthouse.
c. When I viewed the 4K disc on my Sony X800 (not capable of DV but capable of HDR), this scene played fine with no artefacts.
d. I then switched off the DV on the Zidoo Z9X (I switched it from "Auto" to "HDR mapping"), played this scene on the MKV and it played fine with no artefacts.
e. So, I'm guessing there's something weird in the either the DV layer or how the Zidoo Z9X handles it (probably the latter). This is the second disc I have with weird DV behaviour that isn't exhibited when DV is switched off (the original Manchurian Candidate 4K is the other one).
f. If someone is able to please try this out and let me know what you see, that'd be mucho appreciated. I'd post this on another forum but you get the usual "you're doing it wrong" know-it-all response from the 20-something demographic. Y'all know the crowd.
Well I have no idea if this is it, but the Zidoo (like the Dune and just about all media players) only plays the Minimum Enhancement Layer of DolbyVision. The Full Enhancement Layer is discarded. The FEL is actually sent as a 1920x1080 "video" on top of the actual 4K video, and Dolby only licenses FEL playback to disc players. (It also requires dual HEVC decoders.)

Most of the time, you can't even tell, but every now and again, there is a movie that shows the difference when played via a media player. I think Saving Private Ryan maybe had an issue? I can't recall for sure.

From Columbia Classics Volume IV and director John Carpenter STARMAN [Native UHD4K from OCN/HDR10/Dolby Vision/Newly repurposed Dolby ATMOS soundtrack]

http://thedigitalbits.com/item/starman-ccv4-sony-2024-uhd

Starman – [FILMGRAB]

Well I have no idea if this is it, but the Zidoo (like the Dune and just about all media players) only plays the Minimum Enhancement Layer of DolbyVision. The Full Enhancement Layer is discarded. The FEL is actually sent as a 1920x1080 "video" on top of the actual 4K video, and Dolby only licenses FEL playback to disc players. (It also requires dual HEVC decoders.)

Most of the time, you can't even tell, but every now and again, there is a movie that shows the difference when played via a media player. I think Saving Private Ryan maybe had an issue? I can't recall for sure.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, from what I understand, FEL don't really benefit anyone at the moment as most/(all?) TVs aren't capable of 12-bit colour. Definitely weird and it'd probably benefit everyone (except Dolby) if Dolby just didn't get in the way.

Yes, I read that an early release of Saving Private Ryan on 4K had something weird going on that would cause the image to flash or pulse or something.

From thedigitalbits website:

Meanwhile today, the good folks at A24 have just unveiled Darren Aronofsky’s Pi (1998) for release on Blu-ray and 4K Ultra HD. Both are now available as of yesterday. The discs will also include Pi: The Guerilla Diaries by Aronofsky. You can pre-order the title here exclusively from their online shop. The film was remastered in 8K resolution in 2023 and will include Dolby Atmos audio, two commentaries, behind-the-scenes footage, deleted scenes, and more.

Note: stand alone Native UHD4k/BD~V disc without the book is $35

https://shop.a24films.com/products/pi-blu-ray

R.50d64ea86972627073ed1f48190ad286
Blu~Ray.com's review of the Native UHD4K transfer of PI available from A24 Film's website

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Pi-4K-Blu-ray/357472/#Review

Ugh WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT TO ME?

Still, I ordered 7 titles (6 UHD 1 Blu), so that's...restraint?
I have 9 titles on my list: 5 UHD4K and 4 BDs ..... and check out the AmazonUS prices for the same titles ...a BIG savings,, indeed!

NEVER PAY RETAIL

Last edited:
Pity they dont ship to Australia... :cry:
You may have already done so but have you checked if Aussie has a shipping service similar to NZ Post? It's a free service where you can get stuff shipped to an address in the US/UK where they then add shipping and tax, and ship it to NZ. Sometimes, it works out about the same as if the vendor shipped direct from US/UK to NZ and so ensures that you can pretty much get anything shipped down to the bottom of the planet.

Back