First Rock Album - ANY Format - What's Yours?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
geee this is hard to remember, to much beer has passed since to remember well.

I guess the first CD ( I remember my first CD only, because they were so expensive my father only bought cassettes for us), my father bought ONLY for me was Queen - A Night at The Opera, I was 7 or 8, one of my first cassettes was also Queen - The Miracle, but I don't remember if it was the first, I just remember listening to it again and again.
I also remember listening a lot of ELP - Trilogy and Genesis (Phil Collins era) with my father at home

The first CD I bought with my own money was Metallica - Black Album, I was about 13 or 14, I still got the same CD at home (a little bit scratched, but I wont get rid of it)

Beach Boys/Little Deuce Coupe
Beatles '65
High Tide & Green Grass/Stones

All purchased together; LP's!

I am embarrassed to admit that I don't really recall my REAL first Rock n Roll album, but it was the Beatles, I am sure. It had to be a record, as that was my modus operandi at the time.

In 1975, my best friend, Pat, won the album "April Wine - Stand Back" in a colouring contest. We were 7 years old at the time and thought it was the best thing ever and rushed home after school for weeks on end to play air guitar and listen. In the summer, an older cousin came over to our house to have coffee with my mom and brought this album to listen to. As they were having their coffee in the kitchen, I was in the living room jumping off couches and playing some mean air guitar to the music. At the end of the day, my cousin said "Al I think you should keep this album as you are obviously more into it than me!" A wonderful gift and my first album.

April-Wine-Stand-Back-1975-Front-Cover-46051.jpgapril-wine-11.jpg

Although they weren't internationally successful until sometime later, this album was the first English-language Canadian album to go Platinum in its home country. While I don't listen to much April Wine anymore, I still have a soft spot in my heart for them for this wonderful album and for introducing me to Prog Rock courtesy of their cover of "21st Century Schizoid Man" on their Harder-Faster album.

Peace

Al

Ask me about something I did some 50 yrs ago, when I can't tell you what I ate yesterday? Belive it or not, it was the Stones
I think it was titled "Through the past darkly? had a pic of them on the cover and had paint it Black, 9tinth breakdown, among others on it. say- 1963-4? I've turned into one of them!! OMG!! The worst was getting a senior coffee at Dunkin.

.... While I don't listen to much April Wine anymore, I still have a soft spot in my heart for them for this wonderful album and for introducing me to Prog Rock courtesy of their cover of "21st Century Schizoid Man" on their Harder-Faster album.

Peace

Al
I have that version of 21st Century Schizoid Man - very cool......

Not sure probably Queens Greatest Hits on Vinyl way back when
though i did have Flash Gordon on cassette before that. so it should be that though does cassette count?

Best Of The Beach Boys on vinyl. They call it a record back then. Played it on my parents console.

First one I owned was Beatles Hard Day's Night - got that for my birthday. First I bought with my own $ was Sgt Pepper.

My first rock album was, oddly, Tubular Bells. Vinyl. I say oddly because it was in 1974 and I was in middle school. We had a break period club called the record club. Other kids were bringing in stuff like Not Fragile - far more mainstream radio stuff, and here I came with this kind of prog instrumental thing that no one (including possibly me) seemed to understand. I had heard the compelling riff from The Exorcist, which I hadn't seen - probably from a commercial, and sought out the music. I just knew it spoke to me, so I bought it and dug in. A lucky shot. I think number two was Boston's first, because I can't include Tomita Snowflakes are Dancing as a rock album. Other than that I was all comedy albums early on!

Ken

I actually was a late starter (in terms of purchasing)... Mine was:

Talking Heads - Little Creatures on cassette:

Z

No, Jan and Dean Meet Batman isn't the same as Dan & Dale. Bonus Points for anyone who bought this Jan & Dean release as their first album:

View attachment 6072

Wow, I have that Jan and Dean album in mint mono. It was actually my second Jan and Dean album. Surf City was 1st. My 1st. rock album was The Marketts, Take To The Wheels on WB. That and Dion Ruby Baby came just before Meet The Beatles.
Yes I remember 1st. kiss but what I remember even more was the 1st time I heard The Beatles. I was washing my aunts Thunderbird and I Want To Hold Your Hand came on the radio. I was floored, stopped doing everything. Never heard anything like it before.
Phil

Back