Frank Zappa Waka/Wazoo Deluxe 4CD + Blu-Ray 5.1 and Atmos!!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just talking to a friend of mine last week and was saying how sad it is that the kids who are in charge of Frank's work have been going for the quick and easy money (live concert releases). I remember that Dweezil in some interview talked about the huge amount of multichannel recordings that his dad had made. And I just kept thinking, what a loss for those of us who are FZ and multichannel fans to not get to hear any of it. So, to me this is amazing. And if Dweezil did have something to do with it, then it is even more amazing because that means that the kids are talking to each other again and that means the artists in the family may have more of a say in what gets released. At least that's the way I see it. Hope I'm right. And I can't wait for this!

From what I'm hearing, Apple may have jumped the gun on putting these mixes up. I wouldn't be surprised if they disappear and then come back when the box is finally released. :unsure:. There's a 2CD set of live Zappa performances recorded November 1975 in Yugoslavia coming out this Friday. I'm thinking Universal probably doesn't want the news of Waka/Wazoo overshadowing the live CD.

fz.jpg

The “Mothers of Invention Yugoslavian Extravaganza”, as Zappa called it, took place in Zagreb and Ljubljana (now the capital cities of Croatia and Slovenia respectively) on Nov. 21st and 22nd, 1975.

The short-lived and slightly stripped-down lineup was made of Andre Lewis (keyboards), Napoleon Murphy Brock (tenor sax and lead vocals), Norma Bell (alto sax, vocals), Roy Estrada (bass) and Terry Bozzio (drums).

Zappa’s fall 1975 tour brought him to two cities in Yugoslavia, marking the first and only time he played shows in that country. This 2CD set combines performances from both shows.

Why does everyone keep mentioning that the 5.1 might be mixed by Dweezil? He has nothing to do with the ZFT/Universal deal. This is all Ahmet with Joe Travers as Vaultmeister.

I have asked Joe who did the 5.1 mixes. We’ll see what he says.
The discussion is about who did the fantastic Atmos mixes that streams on Apple Music, the 5.1 is of no interest.

Do you listen to quadraphonic mixes regularly?
Sure. I don't have a problem with mixes that are strong in the rears, as many quads are, if that's the mixer's intention. I didn't mean to start a controversy about the Zappa Atmos mixes, or impugn them at all; I was just reporting how they sound on my 5.1 system, as compared to most other streaming Atmos mixes. I think sjcorne explained it, that I'm hearing all content intended for the Atmos sides in my rear speakers, perhaps even more so since I don't have an Atmos-capable AVR. Maybe the Zappa mixes are more side-heavy than most Atmos mixes? No idea, all I know is that I'm barely hearing anything in my front speakers with them and the center is mostly bass, and I was just curious if others were hearing the same thing. That has been well-answered, so we can all move on.

I am very glad these albums have come out in surround, and I hope we will see lots more Zappa in Atmos. And 5.1, which some of us do still care about. My listening room is not conducive to adding side or height speakers (open floorplan on one side, fireplace & bookshelves filling up the other side, high vaulted ceiling).

Back