Full range speaker recommendations pls!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edisonbaggins

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
At some point, probably 2-3 years, I'm considering upgrading my main channels from large bookshelf types to floor-standing full-range types.
I'd like to avoid over-spending and I'd like to power the speakers straight off my Denon x6400H.
My center is already a massive Polk with 4 woofers and a tweeter or two, which I like. So, I'm considering Polk as a starting point.
Are they junk? A-ok?

https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Reprod...eproduction+floyd+toole&qid=1576516386&sr=8-1The definitive text on loudspeakers by the head of R&D at Harman and Canadian Research Council. He has a famous multi channel system at his house. I would bet he is a member here.
Instead of asking opinions study his book. There are also lots of measurements of speakers that are still available and measurements are much better than opinions (imo :ROFLMAO: ) that alone is worth the price of the book,

Last edited:
At some point, probably 2-3 years, I'm considering upgrading my main channels from large bookshelf types to floor-standing full-range types.
I'd like to avoid over-spending and I'd like to power the speakers straight off my Denon x6400H.
My center is already a massive Polk with 4 woofers and a tweeter or two, which I like. So, I'm considering Polk as a starting point.
Are they junk? A-ok?
Many good options out there. Aperion audio has some very nice speakers for the money as well. The Verus Grand series are excellent. Free shipping both ways, 60 day trial. Nothing to lose.

Quick google search suggests my AVR has 140 watts per channel and can work with 8 or 4 ohm speakers.
Thanks for the suggestions, so far.
These power ratings can be deceptive. I would guess that the 140 per channel isn't an "all channels driven" specification .
Mine was advertised as 165 watts. I found out later it was actually 9 x 40 watts a channel. This is at 20 to 20000 8ohms .06 thd.

Listening to some (auditioning) is the only way to be sure; i.e. Samuel L Jackson-
The problem is finding a place that has a large selection of quality brands. And most folks like to hear specific things from their speakers. I was initially going for Paradigm speakers but once I auditioned the latest models found them too bright for my liking, and went with MartinLogan Motions (not electrostatics) with folded tweeter for a smoother top end.

Last edited:
I second Beefalo's caution. I've been looking at a Marantz SR7013 and found a NZ website with it heavily discounted ($3K off - there's a massive mark-up on our toys, as if we didn't already know) and the claim that it's 200 watts on all 9.2 channels. Further research on Marantz's website revealed it's 125 watts per 9.2 channels and 200 watts when you're just running stereo. I was also excited about its gapless playback functionality from the front USB port. I thought, "Cool, I'll plug in my hard drive and no more split second pauses between tunes that run into each other." Further digging (pretty much had to read the entire manual) revealed it's only stereo gapless playback. Ugh, sometimes I forget that multi-channel audio is such a niche.

Anyway, back to speaker recommendations. I find these channels interesting (there are probably lots more to choose from also):

https://www.youtube.com/user/Tharbamar/videoshttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_MsAdd9-jaXxhziTlGPXDA/videoshttps://www.youtube.com/user/GoProYouthman/videoshttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHGNxiMlh69Q4M9w7ZV7FPw/videoshttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVtSHXafOEcFN10FYygDTA/videos
They tend to focus on bookshelf stereo listening but they may lead to a brand you've not considered or even heard of. There are tons out there.

More 2 cents from me: Don't rush the purchase! Take your time and have a listen when you can. You're lucky in the States with return options available so you can try in your home. Here in NZ, you gotta blind-buy (or deaf-buy?) much of the time.

Let us know how it goes and don't forget to post pics!

Are they junk? A-ok?
I am pretty much in the same boat. I'm looking for 3 way speakers with multiple 6.5" mid bass drivers.
Seems like with my 2 ways the mid bass driver is producing some higher frequencies that would be handled better by a capable dedicated mid-range.
SVS prime pinnacle towers look good to me.
They even have a great return policy.

Are they junk? A-ok?

I really like my rti a7 s....sound damn good to me...but what do i know...im old my ears r old used n abused :)

I'm reading up a bit on Polk Audio Signature S60s.
26Hz - 40kHz
Price is in my budget range. Not sure they're the ones for me. I'd like to demo a set.
Wouldn't fit my requirements. Not a true 3 way. No dedicated mid-range driver or frequency range....

Interesting. So 3-way is a bottom-line for you. What about bi-pole? Thoughts on those?
I find that alot of the high def. stuff plays bright. Funneling some of the highs to a mid-range can smooth out the sound (if done correctly)
I use dipole for surrounds. I like the room filling ambience. You need space in back of the speakers.
I'm using some old Def. Tech towers.
I like front speakers that are traditional front firing.
I tried dipoles in the front and the sound got too messy.

Back