Full range speaker recommendations pls!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to think I'm pretty easy to please. I'm happy with my def tech promonitor 1000s, with one exception.
I want speakers that can go much lower, because I want the option to run SACD playback in DSD mode, which doesn't allow bass-management (without additional hardware).
For now, if I want to use bass- management (which is a must for rock, pop, metal, some jazz, etc.) I have to convert SACD to PCM. I don't feel any sound is lost, but I'd like to avoid this conversion just in case DSD playback provides some enjoyment I'm not keyed in on right now.
I'm curious to hear the difference between 2 and 3-way though.

I'd like to think I'm pretty easy to please. I'm happy with my def tech promonitor 1000s, with one exception.
I want speakers that can go much lower, because I want the option to run SACD playback in DSD mode, which doesn't allow bass-management (without additional hardware).
For now, if I want to use bass- management (which is a must for rock, pop, metal, some jazz, etc.) I have to convert SACD to PCM. I don't feel any sound is lost, but I'd like to avoid this conversion just in case DSD playback provides some enjoyment I'm not keyed in on right now.
I have a Yamaha Aventage 2070 which is 9.2 and probably a notch below your Denon. I run DSD direct and get bass management.

I have 4x Monitor Audio Silver RS8 Floorstanders & matching Centre. I like them as they are 'clean' so remind me of monitors I've heard in studios, good bass as well, they now make newer version. I like the B&Ws as well but they and the KEF reference range were out of my price range when I bought my Monitor Audios.

Are you running HDMI outs or analog for the SACD?

I have a Yamaha Aventage 2070 which is 9.2 and probably a notch below your Denon. I run DSD direct and get bass management.
Based on a bit of further research (and I'm out of time now) it seems to me that your system must be converting to PCM if you're using bass-management. Not that that's a bad thing. I can't tell the difference between converting and not converting out of my OPPO, for instance. I just want the option of running DSD and have it sound it's best. Unless I'm missing something that means 5 full-range equidistant channels are needed because DSD can't be further processed.
If you have some different info, please share it!

I did listening tests with an audiophile mate a few years back with my Oppo 95 comparing DSD via analog outs to my Arcam AVR vs HDMI PCM to same amp and we both thought HDMI with room correction/EQ sounded just a smidge better the DSD. Certainly nothing to show DSD was superior.

The testing was with various 5.1 SACDs. Based on that I’ve since gone ahead with converting all my discs to FLAC and never fretted about not playing SACDs as DSD.

Based on a bit of further research (and I'm out of time now) it seems to me that your system must be converting to PCM if you're using bass-management. Not that that's a bad thing. I can't tell the difference between converting and not converting out of my OPPO, for instance. I just want the option of running DSD and have it sound it's best. Unless I'm missing something that means 5 full-range equidistant channels are needed because DSD can't be further processed.
If you have some different info, please share it!
That's the information I got as well. I can only check the input to the AVR which is DSD.
I guess you would have to run all speakers full range without any form of processing.
I tried this set up and the subwoofers were still functioning. Must be the LFE signal.
Something new for my brain. Thanks !!!

Same for DSD (from Oppo 103) in lieu of PCM on my Yamaha 2050. Bass management is fine either way. I’m pretty sure it all gets converted to PCM anyway inside the AVR’s DAC so the YPAO EQ dsp can operate.

That's the information I got as well. I can only check the input to the AVR which is DSD.
I guess you would have to run all speakers full range without any form of processing.
I tried this set up and the subwoofers were still functioning. Must be the LFE signal.
Something new for my brain. Thanks !!!
YW! :ROFLMAO:
I discovered this issue when comparing the SACD and DVD-A of The Downward Spiral. The DVD-A had noticeably stronger, more pleasant bass.
The SACD was playing in DSD mode. I switched it to PCM and it sounded exactly the same as the DVD-A. That started me on a bunch of research and eventually to this point.

I have a pair of KEF Q150's as mains. They certainly do require a sub to fill in the bottom end, but they were very affordable and do present a detailed (although narrow) stereo image.
I had a pair of those several years ago, auditioned them for 2 weeks. Took them back, and bought Klipsch towers and never looked back. That's just me though....my tastes do not represent others. :)

I just want the option of running DSD and have it sound it's best. Unless I'm missing something that means 5 full-range equidistant channels are needed because DSD can't be further processed.
You could use a 5-to-1 analog crossover network, but that might be difficult and could sound worse than PCM conversion plus digital bass management.

At some point, probably 2-3 years, I'm considering upgrading my main channels from large bookshelf types to floor-standing full-range types.
I'd like to avoid over-spending and I'd like to power the speakers straight off my Denon x6400H.
My center is already a massive Polk with 4 woofers and a tweeter or two, which I like. So, I'm considering Polk as a starting point.
Are they junk? A-ok?

Polk Audio RTi A9

That's it!

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107RTIA9B/Polk-Audio-RTi-A9-Black.html
You probably will change your AV receiver in the future but these speakers will last your lifetime for sure.

Kind regards,

Last edited:
Back