Monitor Audio Gold Series (5G) - Questions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Albert Dagger

600 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
I am starting this thread to get some opinions on the most recent Monitor Audio Gold Series, the 5G.

My current surround system is a 5.0.2 with MA Silver 8, MA Silver Centre, MA Silver FX, and MA CP-CT260 for the height speakers (matching the Silver series). I drive all of them easily with a Denon AVR x6400h, which makes them sound good, at least in my view.

I have been thinking about a potential upgrade to the MA Gold Series 5G. This upgrade would include the MA Gold 200 for the front speakers, MA Gold Centre, MA Gold FX (in bipole mode, as my current Silver FX). No changes to the height speakers, they are good as they are.

I have a number of questions, and it's probably worth starting from the easiest one:
- is it worth upgrading at all? For me, both stereo and multichannel music matter more than movies. I do watch movies, but MCH music is the point of having this system in the first place.
- can my AVR drive these new MA Gold speakers without issues? I am super happy with how the Denon manages to drive the silver series, so I am looking for opinions, preferably from members who have first-hand experience with these speakers.
- how are the MA Gold FX? I can't see any reviews online. I would expect them to be similar to my Silver Fx, but their design is quite different with different woofer placements.
- should I add a power amp, like an Emotiva, and use the Denon AVR in pre-out mode? Are there any issues with the levels/volume if an external amp is not used to drive all speakers?

I might end up not doing the upgrade, and this is a long-term plan anyway. At the moment, I'd like to hear opinions and ideas.
Thanks

I am starting this thread to get some opinions on the most recent Monitor Audio Gold Series, the 5G.

- should I add a power amp, like an Emotiva, and use the Denon AVR in pre-out mode? Are there any issues with the levels/volume if an external amp is not used to drive all speakers?

I might end up not doing the upgrade, and this is a long-term plan anyway. At the moment, I'd like to hear opinions and ideas.
Thanks
I'm in the camp that everyone should have a good amp to drive, at the least, the L/R speakers.

The beauty of a good amp(s) is that you'll have it 'forever'. No matter how your system morphs or changes, the amp goes with you.

I use Emotiva 7 channel amp to drive the bed layer and use the AVR to drive the less demanding ATMOS heights. I've never had issue with level matching between the two..

I'm in the camp that everyone should have a good amp to drive, at the least, the L/R speakers.

The beauty of a good amp(s) is that you'll have it 'forever'. No matter how your system morphs or changes, the amp goes with you.

I use Emotiva 7 channel amp to drive the bed layer and use the AVR to drive the less demanding ATMOS heights. I've never had issue with level matching between the two..
Sounds good. I tried using an entry-level power amp for the front stereo channels, and I immediately heard a difference: better dynamics, more control in the bass and treble. There's no doubt I will add a power amp as soon as I can.

If you are saying that level matching between external and internal power amped sources is not an issue (even when I decrease or increase the volume), then I'm good. That's my primary concern, that I could eventually achieve good level matching at a specific volume.

I've bought the new series of Monitor Audio Gold speakers, the 5G (front, centre and fx). I am now looking for a power amp to support my Denon AVR. There is no rush and I can take all the time I need to decide. Here in Melbourne, the Elektra amps seem to get good reviews and pair up well with MA speakers, but I've also read some negative comments in forums such as Audio Science Review. I've heard that many use Emotiva amps, and I am wondering if they aren't too forward or bright when paired up with MA speakers. Musical Fidelity seems to be another good option (especially for multi-channel power amps).

Any suggestion is welcome. Also if you like to share your personal experience with power amps...

I've bought the new series of Monitor Audio Gold speakers, the 5G (front, centre and fx). I am now looking for a power amp to support my Denon AVR. There is no rush and I can take all the time I need to decide. Here in Melbourne, the Elektra amps seem to get good reviews and pair up well with MA speakers, but I've also read some negative comments in forums such as Audio Science Review. I've heard that many use Emotiva amps, and I am wondering if they aren't too forward or bright when paired up with MA speakers. Musical Fidelity seems to be another good option (especially for multi-channel power amps).

Any suggestion is welcome. Also if you like to share your personal experience with power amps...

Let us know how you found the sound of the Gold series vs. your previous Silver speakers.
I love my Silver personally. Their only downside is that they tend to be forward in the 10kHz range, and slightly recessed in the 2kHz range. I had the Bronze previously. Monitor Audio makes great speakers.

As for amplification, yes the more the better. I'm convinced, when reading their reviews, that some forum audiophiles have under-amped speakers.

Let us know how you found the sound of the Gold series vs. your previous Silver speakers.
I love my Silver personally. Their only downside is that they tend to be forward in the 10kHz range, and slightly recessed in the 2kHz range. I had the Bronze previously. Monitor Audio makes great speakers.

As for amplification, yes the more the better. I'm convinced, when reading their reviews, that some forum audiophiles have under-amped speakers.
I also loved my MA silver 8. I agree with your assessment, they could be harsh in the treble. This has become more noticeable after trying the gold 200, which has a smoother treble sound. It also has more bass, even if the woofer drivers are similar in size with the silver speakers. Overall, I’d say they have a similar tonality, but they are more gentle on your ears. Bass is more controlled but I feel they could sound better with more power. When I auditioned them a couple of weeks ago with a Denon AVR and an integrated amp with HT, they sounded more dynamic and more ‘alive’. Everything was more precise and controlled. So, I think I will consider buying a power amp in the coming months. At the moment, I think the front speakers are borderline underamped.

I really like my Monitor Audio 4x Silver RS8 with matching centre (driven by a Pioneer SC LX-86 with Class-D amps - which is 'happy' with the MAs loading), and also agree they can be a bit treble 'forward'.

At some point (probably when I finally get round to retiring!) I'm going to change to either 4x MA Gold 300 5G & Centre or 4x B&W 703 S3 & Centre, but I would like to do a comparison first, and they have to fit in a smallish room (approx. 4m/16ft square) with not a lot of space left. I'd then may be go to Atmos with 4x smaller matching speakers for heights.

I really like my Monitor Audio 4x Silver RS8 with matching centre (driven by a Pioneer SC LX-86 with Class-D amps - which is 'happy' with the MAs loading), and also agree they can be a bit treble 'forward'.

At some point (probably when I finally get round to retiring!) I'm going to change to either 4x MA Gold 300 5G & Centre or 4x B&W 703 S3 & Centre, but I would like to do a comparison first, and they have to fit in a smallish room (approx. 4m/16ft square) with not a lot of space left. I'd then may be go to Atmos with 4x smaller matching speakers for heights.
My suggestion would be to audition the MA Gold 200 vs the 300. There is quite a bit of extra bass in the 300, and I am glad I went for the 200. I think it would have been overkill for me, given the size of my listening room (3.6m x 6m). Coming from the silver series, the Gold 200 produce a very strong bass.

I didn't have any issues with the height speakers. I am happy with how they match the Gold bed speakers.

Back