Power amp purchase

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
So, I've always been a standard AVR guy over the years. Always been intrigued by having separates, or at least....the beginnings of being able to have separate pieces. My current AVR is a Denon X4400H. I've been pleased with it, in general...though, when I really push the volume I always felt like it gets pretty screechy, and fatiguing.

Couple weeks ago, I purchased a Marantz MM7055 5 channel amp. I debated and debated, and finally did go with this as I got a really good price. It's 140 x 5 channels...but it's only 140 x 2 channels driven. Not all 5 driven. I didn't fully understand that until recently. So there is that.

My immediate impression was very favorable nonetheless. Having the separate amp truly did make a fairly big difference at higher volumes. That screechy detail was gone and replaced with substantial punch in my chest that was missing. Again, very pleased honestly.

In the end, I felt like this piece of equipment wasn't really suitable for future improvements necessarily. If, separates are the route I continue to go. So, I'm returning the Marantz, and already placed an order for an Emotiva XPA-5 Amp.

This amp will be rated at 250 x 5 channels, all channels driven. I feel like this additional power will be a good baseline for future upgrades to other channels. So, this will drive my main 4 Klipsch floor speakers and my Klipsch center. The 4 Atmos speakers driven by my Denon AVR for now.

Likely, in the future, I would buy an upgrade multi-channel processor and get more channels. Then, I could buy an additional amp, for those additional channels/speakers.

1681670287342.png

Last edited:
  • If you’ve purchased something made in Franklin, TN, your unit is being hand-built as we speak.
Hell yes! This unit is being made in Franklin, Tennessee...kinda cool it's being built on demand.
WOW, wonder where their factory is, I've got relatives in Franklin Tenn!!!

Will be watching your adventure on this closely Gene.

I would have though your Denon 4400 would have enough power for your Klipsch speakers because of their higher efficiency. Anyway, the Emotiva amp should supply you with the power you’d like. I use their Stealth Active Monitors (6&8) and have no problem with not having enough power. I only use my Denon 4400 for the height speakers. Good luck and have fun!

Congrats I think it's a smart move. I have a big concern with the way most AVR's spec their power output. They say crazy things like 1200 Watts power total, for you know, 10 chs and then only specify individually for the front 2 chs. Well, just like you said.

I've had my 3 Adcom 555 power amps since mid 80's. Rock solid still great sound. I have changed decoders many times & went through a couple of pre-pro's as well. Meanwhile the power amps remained. To do the equivalent of this with AVR you'd be throwing out even the good part of the product each time to upgrade.

The problem is, I like to listen at ridiculously high volume at times...this is where the issue was.
And with more POWER, Gene, it might be wise to listen at reduced volume. I truly believe the reason a lot of QQer's complain about brittle sound is due to excessively HIGH volume. And your 'precious' EARS will thank you. Hearing LOSS does not regenerate...and the reason I cannot go to LIVE concerts anymore! WAAAAYYYY too freakin' LOUD!

Last edited:
And with more POWER, Gene, it might be wise to listen at reduced volume. I truly believe the reason a lot of QQer's complain about brittle sound is due to excessively HIGH volume. And your 'precious' EARS will thank you. Hearing LOSS does not regenerate...and the reason I cannot go to LIVE concerts anymore! WAAAAYYYY too freakin' LOUD!
I know..... :( I listen at high volume for very short periods. You know, I sometimes just want to see what it can do. Sort of like taking out the 500hp Mustang and tromping on the accelerator.

I know..... :( I listen at high volume for very short periods. You know, I sometimes just want to see what it can do. Sort of like taking out the 500hp Mustang and tromping on the accelerator.
Same here, 2 days ago I was listening to a lot of stuff at "a bit higher than normal "volume fro several hours and would up with a very loud ringing in my left ear

I always take earplugs. But yes, often way too loud. Depending on where your seats are it can be excruciating!

Don't get me started Gene, with summer coming I've been
kicking around the idea of getting rid of my big stack of room
heater, classic A/B Adcom amps for something modern like these
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...amplifier-builder-line-up-announcement.16835/Buckeye class D's.
Custom made right here in the US,
I can't find anything negative to say about them at all.
The spec's are incredible and pricing right. GRRRR.
Dang this hobby, it just never stops.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/buckeye-nc502mp-8-channel-amp-review.43584/https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...uckeye-nc502mp-8-ch-amplifier-teardown.43612/
Best of luck with your new kit Gene!

Back