Power amp purchase

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have finally done my dream set-up for equipment. I have had a Yamaha RXA-3080 AVR(140 watts across 11 channels) doing everything like all my surround stuff=satellite TV, 4K blu-ray player for movies & multi-channel audio(OPPO-205), & Apple TV along with my 2 channel stuff=cd’s on the OPPO-205’s dedicated XLR outputs & vinyl turntable. Now I have added the McIntosh MAC 7200 2 channel integrated receiver (200 watts across 2 channels) for my 2 channel stuff=cd’s on the OPPO-205 along with my vinyl turntable and I use the Yamah AVR for just multi-channel. The McIntosh MAC 7200 has home theater pass thru so I can share my front mains(Klipsch RF 7II’s) & Klipsch 15 inch subwoofer between the two systems and my Yamaha AVR just drives my Klipsch center channel and surround speakers. Since my speakers are for just a 5.1 system my next project will be to add more speakers for Dolby Atmos.

So, I've always been a standard AVR guy over the years. Always been intrigued by having separates, or at least....the beginnings of being able to have separate pieces. My current AVR is a Denon X4400H. I've been pleased with it, in general...though, when I really push the volume I always felt like it gets pretty screechy, and fatiguing.

Couple weeks ago, I purchased a Marantz MM7055 5 channel amp. I debated and debated, and finally did go with this as I got a really good price. It's 140 x 5 channels...but it's only 140 x 2 channels driven. Not all 5 driven. I didn't fully understand that until recently. So there is that.

My immediate impression was very favorable nonetheless. Having the separate amp truly did make a fairly big difference at higher volumes. That screechy detail was gone and replaced with substantial punch in my chest that was missing. Again, very pleased honestly.

In the end, I felt like this piece of equipment wasn't really suitable for future improvements necessarily. If, separates are the route I continue to go. So, I'm returning the Marantz, and already placed an order for an Emotiva XPA-5 Amp.

This amp will be rated at 250 x 5 channels, all channels driven. I feel like this additional power will be a good baseline for future upgrades to other channels. So, this will drive my main 4 Klipsch floor speakers and my Klipsch center. The 4 Atmos speakers driven by my Denon AVR for now.

Likely, in the future, I would buy an upgrade multi-channel processor and get more channels. Then, I could buy an additional amp, for those additional channels/speakers.

View attachment 90647
I have the XPA-7 Gen 3, although it's only connected for 5.1 until I move to Canada. No issues, very happy with it.

One thing you may wish to consider is a cooling fan for the top. I have an AC Infinity Aircom and it doesn't take a lot of use/power of the Emotiva to make the fans start whirling. And, as they say, overheating is an amp's biggest enemy (although I would say spilling booze on it is, but that's just me I suppose).

One thing to keep in mind when you play at loud levels is you are not only pushing the amp but the speakers as well. Your speakers are generating the highest amount of distortion compared to what the amp is producing. And your amp is dumping more current into your speaker at higher volumes, which can lead to damaging your speakers. If that happens you will be hearing that "screechy and fatiguing" sound at all levels. As you continue on your quest for better sound, consider the match between speakers and amplifiers.

I have finally done my dream set-up for equipment. I have had a Yamaha RXA-3080 AVR(140 watts across 11 channels)
Just like all other AVR manufacturers (Except NAD), Yamaha only publishes 2 channel power output specs. Per their spec it is 150W, 2 channel performance, not all channels. RX-A3080 - Specs - Yamaha USA
Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven) - 150 W (8 ohms, 0.06% THD)

Realistically you will get about 75-90W when driving all channels.

Last edited:
Couple weeks ago, I purchased a Marantz MM7055 5 channel amp. I debated and debated, and finally did go with this as I got a really good price. It's 140 x 5 channels...but it's only 140 x 2 channels driven. Not all 5 driven. I didn't fully understand that until recently. So there is that.

This amp will be rated at 250 x 5 channels, all channels driven. I feel like this additional power will be a good baseline for future upgrades to other channels. So, this will drive my main 4 Klipsch floor speakers and my Klipsch center. The 4 Atmos speakers driven by my Denon AVR for now.

Likely, in the future, I would buy an upgrade multi-channel processor and get more channels. Then, I could buy an additional amp, for those additional channels/speakers.
very strange that marantz specs it out at only 2 channel use when all other amp manufacturers (separates, not AVR) use per channel ratings. marantz are ok, but nothing great. marantz certainly is not what it used to be quality wise.

i have owned 3 emotiva amps (first an XPA3 and then upgraded to two XPA1 monoblocks) all were good value for the money. XPA3 required warranty service and the emotiva customer service was excellent. but i did make a change and learned something along the way, and that is that amp quality is just as important (Or more so) than rated power output. the XPA1 amps were rated at 500wpc. i started looking at higher quality units, but with less power. i ended up with a Parasound Halo A31 (3 channel amp) that has 250wpc, which is half the power compared to the XPA1, yet it performs better sonically. While it was overall more expensive, looking at the per channel cost they were very comparable.

As far as driving surround and atmos channels, I used to use separate amps for those as well (Outlaw Audio - another great value brand). But we downsized last year and I don't have room for all those amps. So I then went to powering the surrounds and atmos with my AVR and I honestly can not tell a difference. The level of signal is so much lower compared to the front sound stage I just don't miss the separate amps for those channels.

Last edited:
Gene, I think you will be very pleased with the Emotiva amp. I purchased two Emotiva XPA's a 7 and 4 channel customized version and currently am using the Marantz SR8015 as a processor. I have long since had excellent Bryston amp, and I feel these Emotiva amps sound amazing too. What I hope is that they will last as long without any issues. The Bryston is now over 25 years old and powers my stereo only rig. BTW, I probably have overkill for power to the height speakers, but I decided I wanted to match the power amp characteristics across the 11 channels. When you get into Atmos, you may find you'll want the same.

I got the Chinese version of it and no probs yet!
$1,575 shipped directlly from China
https://summithifiusa.com/collections/tonewinner/products/ad-7300pa-amplifier
i have seen it speculated that tonewinner makes emotiva amps, but i'm not sure that is currently correct.

early emotiva X series were made designed in the US, but parts came from china. currently they are made in Franklin TN and labelled as made in america, meaning the majority of components are american made. also the newest emotiva and a different design, and use a more modular amp approach.

I don't know where the info is about only 140 per two channels. The official read is 140 PER channel.
attached is the manual, which shows a 2 channel power rating of 140w.
340946786_270470582166672_634049023289218308_n.jpg

I don't know where the info is about only 140 per two channels. The official read is 140 PER channel.
At hand this is really a power supply issue. At the risk of stating the obvious the power supply for the output power amp section can only supply, well, so much power. Probably with any two chs driven on this unit, front or otherwise, it will produce 140 WPC. But if you place test signal inputs on all 5 chs the PS will run out capability and nasty audio will result from clipping. Backing off the input levels will
fix the clipping problem but now the stated power specs will be quite a bit less. 75 WPC all chs driven? 100 WPC all chs driven? Hard to say with out testing but it would certainly be less.

At hand this is really a power supply issue. At the risk of stating the obvious the power supply for the output power amp section can only supply, well, so much power. Probably with any two chs driven on this unit, front or otherwise, it will produce 140 WPC. But if you place test signal inputs on all 5 chs the PS will run out capability and nasty audio will result from clipping. Backing off the input levels will
fix the clipping problem but now the stated power specs will be quite a bit less. 75 WPC all chs driven? 100 WPC all chs driven? Hard to say with out testing but it would certainly be less.
looks to be right about 100w

Marantz MM7055 Amplifier
Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 107.8 watts

https://www.soundandvision.com/cont...ocessor-and-mm7055-amplifier-ht-labs-measures

Just like all other AVR manufacturers (Except NAD), Yamaha only publishes 2 channel power output specs. Per their spec it is 150W, 2 channel performance, not all channels. RX-A3080 - Specs - Yamaha USA
Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven) - 150 W (8 ohms, 0.06% THD)

Realistically you will get about 75-90W when driving all channels.
Remember that when you use more channels, each channel needs less power to produce the same volume.

@GOS Those Klipsch speakers with a sensitivity of 96 dB are so much more efficient than my AR beasts (87 dB.) For the same acoustic output, I need about 10 times as much power as you do. My amps are rated at 400 wpc into my AR9’s, which is the manufacturers maximum recommended power.

That Emotiva amp can probably output twice what your big Uber-efficient Klipschs can handle. It will blow them to smithereens if you’re not careful. But it’s great to have the extra headroom.

That Emotiva amp can probably output twice what your big Uber-efficient Klipschs can handle. It will blow them to smithereens if you’re not careful. But it’s great to have the extra headroom.
The amp should only deliver power the speakers ask for. It's a pull situation, not push.
Gene's volume knob might kill the speakers though! 🤘🤘

@GOS Those Klipsch speakers with a sensitivity of 96 dB are so much more efficient than my AR beasts (87 dB.) For the same acoustic output, I need about 10 times as much power as you do. My amps are rated at 400 wpc into my AR9’s, which is the manufacturers maximum recommended power.

I didn't check on Gene's rear speakers but his front RF-82 power rating is 150 W RMS/ 600 W peak. General wisdom is trying to play loud with an under powered amp for the situation invites clipping & that is more prone to (mainly) tweeter damage than simply playing loud. As you say with those Klipsch efficiency I imagine he will blow his eardrums out before he blows the speakers!!

My Infinity speakers are in the same class as yours, 89dB at 1 Watt power. My amps don't have the oomph of yours (a mere 250 WPC) but they've served well & never a hint of harshness from clipping.

Interesting when I purchased my Infinity Kappa 8 & 7 they came home with me before I picked up the Adcom amps. I had been using a Kenwood 100 WPC amp with my DIY speakers. When I hooked them up to the new Infinity's I was really disappointed. The sound was harsh, strained. Big downgrade in sound quality & I thought I made a terrible speaker choice. Now the Kenwood amps were of that modular big power amp IC design. Hindsight tells me it just didn't have what the new speakers needed to drive it properly. After hooking up the Adcoms it was audio nirvana for me. This kind of stuff really does make a difference.

Back