Power up amp via Denon X4400H trigger out

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I won't assume my thread title is self explanatory. My main AVR is a Denon -X4400 H. I recently purchased a 5 channel power amp (MM7055) to drive my main 5 speakers using the pre-outs on my AVR. Everything works as it should, connections were very easy.

I also purchased a mono mini-plug to use to utilize the trigger out on my AVR to connect to the trigger in on the amp (though, on the amp, it's simply called DC input...not sure why they can't use the exact terminology)

In theory, and according to multiple websites, I just connect 1 end into my trigger out on my AVR, the other end into the trigger in on the amp.......thusly, powering up my AVR, should then power up the amp.

Nope. The amp doesn't turn on when I power up the AVR. As far as I know, there are no settings that have to be activated for this to work. Yes, I have read up, but it's possible my limited electoronic vocabulary is getting in the way.

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to get this to work?

Well, shit.....lmao
-Check the cable with an ohm meter to see that it's working.
-Check the required voltage for the amp turn on against what the Denon puts out.
-If the amp is brand new, check to see that the plug on your cable is compatible with the jack on the cable.....there was recently a change within the amp industry of the plug/jack size.

Reactions: GOS
Make sure you are using a mono cable for the 12v trigger.

Most likely the issue is the output signal is not enough to turn on the amp.

Look in the AVR settings, sometimes there is a menu selection as to which zone the 12V trigger will work. you want that set to your main zone if it has that setting.

If it turns out the Denon trigger output is not sufficent to turn on the power amp, Niles Audio has a little box that can fix that - model OTI-512. It inputs triggers in various voltages and AC or DC and then outputs a clean +12 volts DC trigger. I use these on my system to provide reliable amplifer turn on / turn off. These can be bought new or search ebay. Should not be too expensive (under $40).

Good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_6507.JPG
    IMG_6507.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Love
Gene, it can be a bit more than plug and play.
See page 250 of your owners manual for directions on asigning
to various Modes, Zones, etc. ;)

Gene, it can be a bit more than plug and play.
See page 250 of your owners manual for directions on asigning
to various Modes, Zones, etc. ;)
OK, looks like when I set up my Denon initially (year ago), it defaulted to activating Trigger out when any device was being turned on. That said, the trigger wouldn't turn on the Marantz, but it works like a charm with the Emotiva. Not sure why? But, I'm good now!

Kool. Over the years I experienced some unstable behavior of
Triggers in my Marantz 7701 & 7703 pre/pros but so
far my Denon's been rock solid.

BTW, the Marantz's issue stemmed from the jacks inside the unit.
Appears went new, they had some type of compound on them that could/would
cause a resistance in the connection? A quick spray of contact cleaner
and then a gentle blast of air to dry them, the problems disappeared
forever in both units.
Just as FYI

OK, looks like when I set up my Denon initially (year ago), it defaulted to activating Trigger out when any device was being turned on. That said, the trigger wouldn't turn on the Marantz, but it works like a charm with the Emotiva. Not sure why? But, I'm good now!
Could have been the voltage or logic level, i.e. not enough volts and/or the logic going to a high level to turn on when it wanted a zero

For reasons best understood by people who went to a different school than me, this thread didn’t show up in my emails until today.

I have a Marantz pre-pro, so I suspect some similarities. It has twp DC outputs that can be programmed to come on when a particular input is active. I intend to use them to power up the lights illuminating my laser discs and record shelves.

I know nothing about the amp, so it would be time to consult the manual to see what the requirements are.

Back