Full range speaker recommendations pls!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone here have KEF speakers; I've seen that brand mentioned quite a bit?

Huge fan of KEF here - when I got my first "real" HT setup in 2005, I auditioned KEF Q series speakers against a variety of other brands at a similar technical spec, and I preferred the sound of the KEF speakers to all of them, some of which (like B&W) were nearly twice the price of the KEFs.

For me, the thing that sets the KEF speakers apart from their competitors is the UNI-Q array, which puts the tweeter directly on top of the midrange cone, rather than above it. As a result, the sound emanates from a single point, and the clarity is remarkable. The Q series speakers have a frequency response that goes up to (I think) 28kHz, whereas most of the competitors in their price range only extend to 20 or 22kHz at the most. I think their next line up, the R series, extend upwards of 50kHz.

KEFs also had (by far) the widest dispersion angle of any speakers I listened to, which for me was a massive benefit for multichannel music listening - with cheaper speakers, it seems like the sound radiates out of them in a laser-thin column, and if you aren't sitting exactly in a position equidistant from all of them you miss out on half of the sound. With my KEF setup, I could have friends over to audition surround music and I didn't have to have them sit on a chair in the middle of the room - sitting on the couch on the side of the room, or in the armchair at the back was nearly as much of a "sweet spot" as the actual mathematical sweet spot in the middle of the room. I had several "civilian" (ie non-audiophile/non-surround) friends over to hear my system, and not only did every one of them rave about the experience, at least 3 of them that I can recall went out and got surround systems after hearing mine.

I still covet KEF speakers to this day, to the point that even though I can't afford them right now, I still semi-regularly visit their website and gaze lovingly at the various models like a little boy with his nose pushed up against the glass of the toy store front window.

Here are my Polk Audio RTi12 (50 - 500 watts @ 8 ohms) and Polk Audio T90e (20 - 200 watts @ 8 ohms) front speakers (got then in 2009 and 2010). The Polk Audio RTi12 speakers are the equivalent to the current Polk Audio RTi A9 (50 -500 watts @ 8 ohms) speakers.

fzYHsNv.jpg

7dRGIgS.jpg

1WBjePG.jpg

Paid $550.00 each in 2009 for the Polk Audio RTi12, one of my best investment ever.

I can't recommend highly enough the Polk Audio RTi A9 speakers.

Regards,

Last edited:
Here are my Polk Audio RTi12 (50 - 500 watts @ 8 ohms) and Polk Audio T90e (20 - 200 watts @ 8 ohms) front speakers (got then in 2009 and 2010). The Polk Audio RTi12 speakers are the equivalent to the current Polk Audio RTi A9 (50 -500 watts @ 8 ohms) speakers.

fzYHsNv.jpg

7dRGIgS.jpg

1WBjePG.jpg

Paid $550.00 each in 2009 for the Polk Audio RTi12, one of my best investment ever.

I can't recommend highly enough the Polk Audio RTi A9 speakers.

Regards,

Nice set up & very interesting to see. What do you use for rear ch speakers? And why do you have two sets of speakers up front?

Hello Sonik Wiz,

Thanks for the compliments.

I'm using for rear and surround speakers,

Surrounds:
2 Infinity Alpha 40
2 Polk Audio M10

Surround Back:
Infinity Entra Center
Got two sets of front speakers because I like to feel the power when the action start. :SG:LB:LB:LB:LB:LB

Here some pictures of my set up,

QgY1Yy5.jpg

qdIWLRu.jpg

wqopDiG.jpg

pbH1DLM.jpg

q8I1rfe.jpg

2plsUH5.jpg

On the last picture you can see where (on the ceiling) I will hang my 2 new pairs of front high and back high speakers for Dolby Atmos and DTS: X, also moving the 2 Polk Audio M10 to the sides of the room this coming weekend. Finally I will have a 9x2x4 audio configuration.

Merry Christmas!!!

Kind regards,

Last edited:
Hello Sonik Wiz,

Thanks for the compliments.

I'm using for rear and surround speakers,

Surrounds:
2 Infinity Alpha 40
2 Polk Audio M10

Surround Back:
Infinity Entra Center
Got two sets of front speakers because I like to feel the power when the action start. :SG:LB:LB:LB:LB:LB

Here some pictures of my set up,

QgY1Yy5.jpg

qdIWLRu.jpg

wqopDiG.jpg

pbH1DLM.jpg

q8I1rfe.jpg

2plsUH5.jpg

On the last picture you can see where (on the ceiling) I will hang my 2 new pairs of front high and back high speakers for Dolby Atmos and DTS: X, also moving the 2 Polk Audio M10 to the sides of the room this coming weekend. Finally I will have a 9x2x4 audio configuration.

Merry Christmas!!!

Kind regards,
Boy Howdy that's incredible! I've been having fun doing a Blade Runner type blow up inspection of the room. Please PM me with your address & when you won't be home for a couple of days. I will leave your speakers alone but will most certainly take advantage of your extraordinary booze collection.

Buying speakers today isn't easy at all unless you live in a large city with multiple B&M stores to sample brands on site. That can even be misleading depending on so many variables. I personally have played around enough with my full room size and half size and prefer full range 4 way Floorstanding as my surrounds which gives me more kick from the back. I'm not hung up on a particular brand I just choose by specs, Frequency response, wattage handling etc. Happy Hunting........

Buying speakers today isn't easy at all unless you live in a large city with multiple B&M stores to sample brands on site. That can even be misleading depending on so many variables. I personally have played around enough with my full room size and half size and prefer full range 4 way Floorstanding as my surrounds which gives me more kick from the back. I'm not hung up on a particular brand I just choose by specs, Frequency response, wattage handling etc. Happy Hunting........
I hate it when my puny surround towers start giving me their death rattle. I have to cross them over higher and then I miss out. I plan on getting bigger surround towers someday.....

I have KEF Q series speakers. I also demoed several other speakers in a high end listening room at a hifi dealer.
What I like about them.....they sound very very dry. And that was the point to buy them, because everything is transparent to death.
If they would ever be changed...I would start to look for new speakers that have a very dry sound.
So it's a matter of taste....and I would definitely demo speakers, before buying them.
Go to a hifi dealer an bring your own music...

At some point, probably 2-3 years, I'm considering upgrading my main channels from large bookshelf types to floor-standing full-range types.
I'd like to avoid over-spending and I'd like to power the speakers straight off my Denon x6400H.
My center is already a massive Polk with 4 woofers and a tweeter or two, which I like. So, I'm considering Polk as a starting point.
Are they junk? A-ok?
I’m powering a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 8 straight off my Denon x6400h, and I find this a great match. The Denon drives these speakers incredibly well! I don’t have a sub, and just use the front speakers to deal with low frequencies. No bass management, no crossover set for the front speakers, so no need to convert DSD to PCM for SACD playback. I don’t know if you consider these MA as out of your budget, but they are really good. The new MA Silver series should sound even better. I heard the Polk at a Hihi show in Melbourne and there’s no comparison for me. Bear in mind my listening room isn’t particularly large, and I have carpet everywhere.
Good luck with your search!

Very interesting thread, lots of good suggestions, and sperezmore, awesome room. One question I have is you have a lot of reflective stuff and maybe a carpet on floor (might ?) make the sonics a little better?

Mike, I would include within my budget or one thing this year, one thing next year, that's what I do, can't afford all at once, but I would include a quality external MCH DAC, I use the ExaSound 38 with analog outs to the 7.1 input back of my AVR, I only use 5.1 of the 7.1 allowed. I also include switching to direct Input. I also believe if possible all speakers at ear level, except Atmos of course.

I also am a big believer in separate amps for a variety of reasons.

These are the threads I really like on QQ as I always learn something. This is a good resource for speaker placement, many options Wendy Carlos Surround Speaker Placement

Very interesting thread, lots of good suggestions, and sperezmore, awesome room. One question I have is you have a lot of reflective stuff and maybe a carpet on floor (might ?) make the sonics a little better?

Mike, I would include within my budget or one thing this year, one thing next year, that's what I do, can't afford all at once, but I would include a quality external MCH DAC, I use the ExaSound 38 with analog outs to the 7.1 input back of my AVR, I only use 5.1 of the 7.1 allowed. I also include switching to direct Input. I also believe if possible all speakers at ear level, except Atmos of course.

I also am a big believer in separate amps for a variety of reasons.

These are the threads I really like on QQ as I always learn something. This is a good resource for speaker placement, many options Wendy Carlos Surround Speaker Placement

Thank you marpow

A carpet would be very messy for the room (Home Theater/Bar) but I'm considering next year installing wood laminate floor, I think will help with the acoustic of the room and in my opinion look much better. Next weekend a couple of friend will help me mount a new 2 pairs of Atmos speakers on the ceiling and also move to each side of the room my Polk Audio M10 surround speakers. When everything's done I'll post some pictures to get some feedback from the guys/girls in the forum.

Thanks for the link, very informative.

Regards,

What about some rubber mats like work shops, or those puzzle ones for yoga? The would soften the surfaces and still allow for easy cleanup if some of those wonderful looking libations are introduced to your floor.

Back