Grammy predictions anyone?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

privateuniverse

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
First round voting begins today with the Grammy people. This is when they determine who the nominees will be. The voting period ends on October 2nd. Eligible recordings will be those released between September 1, 2019 and August 31, 2020. So, what do you think might get nominated? Unfortunately in recent years rock titles don't seem to get much love in this category. But one or two might still be nominated. Possibilities could be:

Beatles - Abbey Road (Surprisingly the White Album and Sgt Pepper mixes didn't get nominations so maybe this is a long shot.)
Alan Parsons Project - Ammonia Avenue (Alan won two years ago so maybe they'll honor him again)
Bruce Springsteen - Western Stars film (Bruce is a favorite with Grammy voters, plus it's a Clearmountain mix)
Pink Floyd - Later Years
Mary Fahl - From the Dark Side of the Moon (Maybe not as much of a long shot as it seems. Another Clearmountain mix from a lesser known artist got nominated last year.)

I'd certainly love to see Steven Wilson get a nomination (even if he's not interested), but the Tull and Crimson series have been ignored by the nominating committee so far, so I doubt that will change. They've never given him an award and the last time he was even nominated was 2013. :cry:

First round voting begins today with the Grammy people. This is when they determine who the nominees will be. The voting period ends on October 2nd. Eligible recordings will be those released between September 1, 2019 and August 31, 2020. So, what do you think might get nominated? Unfortunately in recent years rock titles don't seem to get much love in this category. But one or two might still be nominated. Possibilities could be:

Beatles - Abbey Road (Surprisingly the White Album and Sgt Pepper mixes didn't get nominations so maybe this is a long shot.)
Alan Parsons Project - Ammonia Avenue (Alan won two years ago so maybe they'll honor him again)
Bruce Springsteen - Western Stars film (Bruce is a favorite with Grammy voters, plus it's a Clearmountain mix)
Pink Floyd - Later Years
Mary Fahl - From the Dark Side of the Moon (Maybe not as much of a long shot as it seems. Another Clearmountain mix from a lesser known artist got nominated last year.)

I'd certainly love to see Steven Wilson get a nomination (even if he's not interested), but the Tull and Crimson series have been ignored by the nominating committee so far, so I doubt that will change. They've never given him an award and the last time he was even nominated was 2013. :cry:

I only wish they'd announce BEST ALBUM IN SURROUND during the main event to call attention to its efficacy in 2020 affording it more gravity.

Wishful thinking, I'm sure!

Pink Floyd - Later Years

The thing is, according to the Grammy website, "The process begins with members and record companies submitting entries, which are then screened for eligibility and category placement." So unless the record company (or an individual Recording Academy member) submits an entry in a specific category--and I don't think they always opt to do so--then the recording doesn't even get considered.

But assuming it is entered (is there an entry fee?--you gotta think), then in the "Immersive" category (according to this chart), it goes to the Craft Nominating Committee for Immersive Audio for consideration. That committee is constituted like so:

Nominations in the Best Immersive Audio Album category are selected by a committee of Voting Members. To be eligible to serve on this committee, one must be a Voting Member of the Academy, in good dues standing, and must meet certain qualifications in the Engineering or Producing Fields and be approved by the Trustees. The committee consists of 20–25 members. They review all Immersive Audio Album entries in their meeting and vote for the final five nominees in the category.​
Doesn't tell us how those 20-25 trustee-approved members-in-good-standing who meet "certain qualifications" in Engineering or Producing are selected, exactly, or by whom. (The Producers & Engineers Wing currently has over 6000 members.) But at least that gives us a little insight into the sausage-making process.

Last edited:
Back