Great deal on Telarc/Concord/Fantasy SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to check, but I bet I own more surround titles from CMG than any other music company after I receive this purchase.

This is true for me as well...but a huge percentage of these titles were acquired at significant discounts (40% or more), so I wonder just how many of these titles I would have purchased at full retail value much less 25% off, where CMG would have had better profitability. Given that I have more unplayed CMG discs than played at the moment, only time will tell. It's just sad that one of the biggest players in the SACD market is surrendering to the masses, but, if it's not profitable, what can you do?

Josh :(

None of my orders have shipped and the June 10th order shows as In Process. My inquiry by email as to whether or not the 20% discount could be applied resulted in this response:

Hello and thank you for your email. The Summer Blow Out Sale is no longer in effect and had to be taken down from our site. We apologize for this inconvenience.

Concord Music Group
Customer Service
23307 Commerce Park Rd.
Cleveland, OH 44122
1-800-551-JAZZ

Chris

None of my orders have shipped and the June 10th order shows as In Process. My inquiry by email as to whether or not the 20% discount could be applied resulted in this response:

Not sure who e-mailed you back Chris, but I just checked a few of the items I ordered and if you add them to the cart they still show up at $5.98 and the code CMG still works. Furthermore, several folks at SA-CD.net said they never got any correspondence but folks are starting to receive their shipments. When I made a few orders several months ago I never got any correspondence either and everything showed up after 1-1.5 weeks. So, I wouldn't give up yet.

I've been busy and missed the initial rush on this, have most of the CMG titles that I want anyway, but I got to looking tonight and figured what the heck. The sale SACD prices do still drop to $5.98 when you add them to the cart, and the CMG code does still work. I definitely would not have ordered these without the sale. We shall see what happens.

Mark

Well, here's my reply from Concord:

Hello and thank you for your email. Your order is packed and ready to ship from our facility within 24-48 hours.
Due to the overwhelming response some items were on backorder and we have since received new stock.
We appreciate your patience.
Best,

Concord Music Group
Customer Service
23307 Commerce Park Rd.
Cleveland, OH 44122
1-800-551-JAZZ

So I guess they are on their way :banana:

PS: Has anyone noticed that not all of the SACDs are on sale? There are many still priced at $19. Goes against the argument that SACDs are on their way out......I hope.

Well, here's my reply from Concord:

Hello and thank you for your email. Your order is packed and ready to ship from our facility within 24-48 hours.
Due to the overwhelming response some items were on backorder and we have since received new stock.
We appreciate your patience.
Best,

Concord Music Group
Customer Service
23307 Commerce Park Rd.
Cleveland, OH 44122
1-800-551-JAZZ

So I guess they are on their way :banana:

PS: Has anyone noticed that not all of the SACDs are on sale? There are many still priced at $19. Goes against the argument that SACDs are on their way out......I hope.

I think about a third of the SACD's were included in the sale but I think the Concord Music Group is done with SACD regardless. Other companies continue to release SACD so there is still some life left.

I received a partial order today, it included 10 of 11 titles ordered but the packing slip indicates all 11 were included. If the other disc doesn't show up soon, I will send an email to customer service.

Chris

Some of the ones I wanted the most weren't on sale...so despite ordering several dozen discs, my CMG wishlist still isn't fulfilled. I guess I should just do what bananaslug suggested and pay full price...;) :D As to the SACDs being liquidated...I for sure have no idea why some discs were practically given away while others were not. I can only guess they are trying to clear out overstocks or maybe just stocks in general! Some of the discs that weren't discounted were some of the newer releases, like the Yellowjacket's Lifecycle, Hiromi's Beyond Standard, and Fourplay's Energy. Not all of the LAGQ discs were discounted either...perhaps some of these were their more popular releases.

I have noticed a few of the Concord Jazz releases (ones with the slipcovers) have been discontinued over the past few months. It will be interesting and sad to see if this trend continues.

Anyway...glad folks are starting to receive their music and can now look forward to the months/years ahead listening to all of it! :phones

Josh

Some of the ones I wanted the most weren't on sale...so despite ordering several dozen discs, my CMG wishlist still isn't fulfilled. I guess I should just do what bananaslug suggested and pay full price...;) :D As to the SACDs being liquidated...I for sure have no idea why some discs were practically given away while others were not. I can only guess they are trying to clear out overstocks or maybe just stocks in general! Some of the discs that weren't discounted were some of the newer releases, like the Yellowjacket's Lifecycle, Hiromi's Beyond Standard, and Fourplay's Energy. Not all of the LAGQ discs were discounted either...perhaps some of these were their more popular releases.

I have noticed a few of the Concord Jazz releases (ones with the slipcovers) have been discontinued over the past few months. It will be interesting and sad to see if this trend continues.

Anyway...glad folks are starting to receive their music and can now look forward to the months/years ahead listening to all of it! :phones

Josh

Yes, they must have a lot of stock that's not selling at full price. They can't sell SACD discs at retail stores anymore as I don't think stores want them anymore and might have sent the unsold discs back to CMG.

Those who are starting to get their discs: Did they just arrive by Fedex one day or did you get a confirmation email?

Yes, they must have a lot of stock that's not selling at full price. They can't sell SACD discs at retail stores anymore as I don't think stores want them anymore and might have sent the unsold discs back to CMG.

Those who are starting to get their discs: Did they just arrive by Fedex one day or did you get a confirmation email?

Just arrived by FedEx yesterday and today, no email. The order that indicates shipped was received complete, the partial order still shows "In Process".

Chris

2 out of 3 orders for 29 discs - so far - show them as being "shipped" today. So I'm guessing that CMG is unloading their lot of SACD's. Now I've got to make room for this stuff, when the discs anivive.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the heads up here. To anyone who may have seen the two Jaco Pastorious Big band (Word of Mouth Revisited,The Word is Out) SACD's but were unsure what they are, Word of Mouth won the Jazz Week Record of the Year award in 2003. Both SACD's are being sold for $5.98 plus 20% off for the "CMG" code.
If you have any interest in fusion & or the group Weather Report, these are must haves. The big band element of these recordings are remarkable.
Anybody on the fence about these should get off it....they are that good!

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the heads up here. To anyone who may have seen the two Jaco Pastorious Big band (Word of Mouth Revisited,The Word is Out) SACD's but were unsure what they are, Word of Mouth won the Jazz Week Record of the Year award in 2003. Both SACD's are being sold for $5.98 plus 20% off for the "CMG" code.
If you have any interest in fusion & or the group Weather Report, these are must haves. The big band element of these recordings are remarkable.
Anybody on the fence about these should get off it....they are that good!

Thanks for the advice. I'm not as hip to some of the Jazz or Classical titles as I would like to be. I have one Spyro Gyra SACD already, as well as the 1st two CMG samplers and a few other CMG titles. Some I've seen at the store and wanted or was curious about.

I do have The Dave Brubeck Quartet's "Take 5" as well as all the Miles Davis SACD's I can get my hands on. John Coltrane on SACD too. But all in all, I'm not hip to the "Must Have" titles here with CMG or with Jazz in general, so any advice is helpful.

I did watch a while back Ken Burn's: PBS - JAZZ A Film By Ken Burns. That was is a great Documentary. (y) http://www.pbs.org/jazz/

Thanks for the advice. I'm not as hip to some of the Jazz or Classical titles as I would like to be. I have one Spyro Gyra SACD already, as well as the 1st two CMG samplers and a few other CMG titles. Some I've seen at the store and wanted or was curious about.

I do have The Dave Brubeck Quartet's "Take 5" as well as all the Miles Davis SACD's I can get my hands on. John Coltrane on SACD too. But all in all, I'm not hip to the "Must Have" titles here with CMG or with Jazz in general, so any advice is helpful.

I did watch a while back Ken Burn's: PBS - JAZZ A Film By Ken Burns. That was is a great Documentary. (y) http://www.pbs.org/jazz/
I'm guessing you might enjoy these titles.....the price is definitely right!;)
Jaco Pastorious was a fretless bass player back in the 70's & early 80's who pretty much changed how a bass player could contribute to the music. He has been dead for some time now & these are tributes to him as a musician as well as a composer.
These recordings won't sound much like Miles or Dave Brubeck but more like Spyro Gyra w/a big band flavor. (kinda)

As of this post, it's indicated at Concord Music's website that my order is still "In Process". However, I just received my entire order.....except for the 2 SACD set to the soundtrack of "Amadeus" ($5.98 for the 2 SACD). I wasn't charged for it but since I placed the order for it, I should get it.

Called Concord Music's customer service # 800-551-5299 and spoke with Vicky. She told me that missing titles meant that they're backordered....and they don't ship out backordered items even when they become available again. Therefore, I shouldn't expect my soundtrack to "Amadeus" SACDs to be in the mail. However, Vicky told me to call back in about a month and talk to her; she said will honor my order and ship send me that particular title at $5.98, if available.

I ordered on the 16th and received everything this morning, including two 2-disc sets (live Camilo & Pizzarelli). Wow, whatta deal! :phones

I ran into the backorder thing with CMG on my last order; thought it very odd that they do this and don't even tell you what happened. But I've been very pleased with CMG's service overall.

Mark Z

I received my complete order of 11 SACD's for $52.77 from Fed Ex today. Yippee! I ordered them the evening of 6/14. Awesome belated Father's Day gift!

Got mine to-day!!
And I live in Spain! (btw, the Michel Camilo was recorded in Barcelona..which is "not Spain!")
Great deal!
Really happy, and thanks again for the heads up , guys!!!

It's over.....its over......

The $5.98 sale is over now, perhaps not to return again. :(
When I spoke with a Concord rep about my order I was told many items were put on sale under the belief they were overstock. It was a mistake. I was told Concord has no plans to discontinue the SACD format.
As far as my order it was being held because of one item Genius Loves Company being on back order. They will pull it off and release my order. However I can ask to buy it again for $5.98 if its back in stock in another month.
What a great company to honor their sale prices even if mistaken, unlike Amazon and Caiman. :banana:

It's over.....its over......

The $5.98 sale is over now, perhaps not to return again. :(
When I spoke with a Concord rep about my order I was told many items were put on sale under the belief they were overstock. It was a mistake. I was told Concord has no plans to discontinue the SACD format.
As far as my order it was being held because of one item Genius Loves Company being on back order. They will pull it off and release my order. However I can ask to buy it again for $5.98 if its back in stock in another month.
What a great company to honor their sale prices even if mistaken, unlike Amazon and Caiman. :banana:

I agree that Concord is a great music company. If you see any future Concord Music Group SACD releases please point that out. I believe we have seen the last one. I also don't expect another sale like this one but there were some amazing deals with this one.

Chris

Back