HiRez Poll Green, Al - GREATEST HITS [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Al Green - GREATEST HITS

• Total voters
This is a pretty easy “9” from me. I have always loved the original GH LP I had and this is it with a few more tracks (but missing “How Can You Mend A Broken Heart”). In retrospect, it’s so nice that gems like this album made it to hi res surround mixes during that short period.

I think the mix is great. Nice and discreet. I guess the fidelity could be a tad nicer—it’s not as smooth and warm as it could be— but I also think most of it sounds pretty good considering the age of the tapes and the era.

Not nearly enough classic R&B in surround. This is one I play a lot.

Does anyone know the backstory on why Belle is here in stereo only?? Very weird and disappointing.

Was the Belle album ever mixed to quad? Such an amazing slab of music...

No quad mix for Belle ever, and probabaly lost multitracks.

I can’t rip this DVD-A for some reason, but others can’t either.
Has anybody had success ripping this (Al Green-Greatest Hits) DVD-A? I have tried twice via DVD audio extractor and come up zilch.
I just ripped mine to lossless 24/48kHx 6-channel FLAC - with DVD Audio Extractor (vers. 8.0) cut through it like a hot knife through butter. I did this rip (for my JRiver music server) especially because I read your comments a while back and wanted to see if this was a problematic disc or what. You might need a newer version or different DVD-Rom drive, etc.

I just ripped mine to lossless 24/48kHx 6-channel FLAC - with DVD Audio Extractor (vers. 8.0) cut through it like a hot knife through butter. I did this rip (for my JRiver music server) especially because I read your comments a while back and wanted to see if this was a problematic disc or what. You might need a newer version or different DVD-Rom drive, etc.
Good to know, I eventually ripped it, or somebody sent me a file, I can't remember. I will agree the the new DVD AE 8.0 seems to be real good, better than before that is for sure. They advertise in the 8.0 download the improvement in DTS ripping.

I gave it a 9, if we had a 9 1/2 I would give it that. The music and surround mix is near 10, only some noise, etc from the old tape drags it down a bit.
JMHO

I was "auditing" my physical media collection just last week and discovered that this was the only title I was missing out of almost 700 discs--very strange. Had a hunch I might have loaned it to the owner of a local record store for listening purposes but he swears he didn't have it. I'll have to assume he's trustworthy here LOL but it's such a great disc I tremble at the prospect of having to replace it.

Let's get this straight: one confused individual or troll gave this a six? A six? As in "average mix, average sound, average content"? I've only ever had the Hi records CDs released 20 years ago. This is a phenomenal improvement on those. For the confused individual out there: pull out the blu-ray audio of Amy Winehouse's Back To Black, listen to the Memphis horns and soul compressed to hell and back in stereo, and then tell me this Al Green DVD-audio multichannel album rates a six.

Oddly, this is one of those DVD-A's with a full range LFE. The LFE contains the bass and the drums!! I pulled the LFE into a stereo file then played it on the PC through the front speakers. Yep, it's drums and bass. I don't understand why they do this. Never did.

The quad reel sounds a bit more natural, but the DVD-A has a much newer sound and the mix is not bad at all. They are basically two flavors on a classic sound. Each, IMHO, worthy of tracking down - if you still can.

I may be able to shed some light on the odd or unusual mixing decisions with this title. Even though I have neither this DVD, nor the Q8; I DO have a digital copy of the multitrack for the song "Let's Stay Together". Now, I'm not the biggest Al Green fan, not too hip to his history, but boy was I surprised to learn that for a 1970 hit song, it lives on an eight-track multi. From the looks and sounds of things, they had to do some track bouncing to get it all to fit, too.

On "Let's Stay Together", three tracks alone are dedicated to vocals! One lead and two backing for a lovely stereo pair. One track is horn overdub, another for a string session overdub. That leaves only THREE tracks for the whole band. How'd they do it? Well, I'm going to assume the original tracking session used 5 tracks live: Drums, Bass, Guitar, Organ, and the conga (maybe). My wild stab in the dark is they realized they didn't have enough space after the session for the horns, strings and better vocal overdubs. So they bounced the guitar, the organ and the conga to a SINGLE, MONO track. Since at least SOME of those instruments were recorded live at the initial session, that track also features a healthy background of drum and bass bleed as well. I suppose they left the bass and drum separated for better control? More often than not, I've seen bass and drum bounced to a single track, but that didn't happen here. So, those three instruments can't be positioned around the room. They're all stuck on one track.

After doing some digging, I can't find a whole lot of info on Hi Records. The studio they had in 1970 appears to be a former movie theatre. It wouldn't be unheard of for a smaller studio in 1970 to still have only an eight-track machine. Heck, LOTS of other - even more popular independent studios had eight-track much later than that. Usually, a fella can make some pretty convincing Quad with only 8 tracks, but with that one bounce.... they didn't leave a mixer a whole lot of options. It also doesn't help that the backing vocal tracks and even the horns are silent for a lot of the song.

So, if this song features some bouncing of instruments, I think we can safely assume some of the other songs from this era and studio feature the same. Makes a person want to invent a time machine and gift them a nice, new Ampex MM1000 (2" 16-track).

algreen.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words on this one. One of my early 5.1 mastering jobs.
Gosh, I miss those days...

Must had been "one of the early 5.1 mastering" you did it, but soundwise you nailed! Ok, there will be always some that will complain the tracklist isn't the same as the quad, that it use the longer album version... soundwise is gorgeous.

The only real problem that had this Al Green disc was the distribution, always been a HTF title even back in the glory DVD-A days.

It's a wonderful thing, being able to get hold of a 20 year old disc and be able to play it on a modern set-up. Reading back on many of the Hi-rez polls, it's seems that many people twenty years ago didn't have the sophisticated amplifiers, speakers and calibration equipment, that are now standard issue with home theatre equipment. I've read people complaining about sound quality, when to my ears, the sound quality is superb. This Al Green disc sounds superb.

You want to see an example of a HiRez poll with extraordinarily bizarre voting? Somebody actually voted a "1" on that one.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-both-sides-now-dvd-a.6862/page-2#post-542113

Well, i do have the JM dvd-a and compared to AG it get played at least 1 to 30, with a 1 to 100 for Let's Get Married (i LOVE this track!)

A tip of my hat to you Bob. This 5.1 mix sounds great to me, I gave it a 9 here which is a terrific rating for an older recording. I've only given a 10 to a few modern DDD recordings.

You want to see an example of a HiRez poll with extraordinarily bizarre voting? Somebody actually voted a "1" on that one.
That was an awfully harsh rating but I can understand it a bit. I remember the first time I purchased a copy of Both Sides Now expecting to get a version of the song like I remembered from the Clouds album and more. Instead I got an album full of songs to go to sleep by. Nothing on that disc that I enjoyed listening to.
YMMV

So, to be clear, does this DVD-A release NOT contain the quad mix? The surround poll listing has it as "Greatest Hits (Quad & 5.1)", but nothing here indicates the quad mix is present on the disc.

Back