Grilling, Barbeque/Asado Thread - QQ Style :)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since you've spent time in South America, ever try one these delectable cuties called an Capybara? I hear they like to BBQ these down there.

Oh come now, you really wanna eat one of these cute little guys...;)

Capybara.jpg

Ah, finally another photo of some more beautiful grilled meat! More photos like this, please, guys (I don't drink much beer, but I LOVE the photos in the brew thread... time for a little competition from the grillers, lol)

In due time, for sure. The weather here in soggy central Illinois has not allowed for much, if any grilling. I mean, it just will not stop raining.

In due time, for sure. The weather here in soggy central Illinois has not allowed for much, if any grilling. I mean, it just will not stop raining.
Here too, near Buffalo. There hasn't been a single rainless weekend in April. And there have been zero "mostly sunny" days in the month as well. In the meantime, the grass continues to grow but you really cant mow it because its so soggy.

Ah, finally another photo of some more beautiful grilled meat! More photos like this, please, guys (I don't drink much beer, but I LOVE the photos in the brew thread... time for a little competition from the grillers, lol)

Exactly. I'm hoping for pics from the Midwest QQ'ers. Gotta think the peeps in the Heartland take their meat grilling and smoking seriously, right? I wanna see this 10lb pork butt(y)

The thing is there are a zillion of these out offset smokers out there with quality from crap to bricksh!t house.
Gos' Oklahoma Smoker is a nice one. Excellent buld quality without paying for the name.
The key is the skill of the Chef
Spot on. Mine is a much heavier build than any other in price range. It holds heat very well, and now that I've worked on all the seams, it should be airtight. :) I am a good Chef. I've been cooking nearly all my life....why? Well, long story...but in a nutshell, my mom didn't like to cook once my brothers left home...so I took over. Never looked back....and, with my career, I spent a lot of time in Argentina, Uruguay and Chile. You learn to love outdoor cooking if you go there.

From the looks of that charcoal basket, you could fire it up & not peek for 24 hours :)
Yes, maybe so. I can't wait to try it. It also keeps those hot coals away from the walls of the offset smoker chamber...which should help life expectancy of my grill.

There is arguably better BBQ\Grilling gear out there but I've stuck with Weber since 1980.
Unsurpassed customer service & solid build quality.
You can buy once or you can cuss & buy over & over again in false economy.
I have 2 gas, 1 charcoal & a highly modified smoker, all Weber.
Weber is spectacular quality. I've owned lots of Webers...mostly smokey Joe types. Also had a Weber gas that I gave to my pappy. I have nothing but good words for Weber.

So GOS, 13lb pork butt is a load of meat even after smoking.
Do you dry rub? Brine? Wet rub? Which wood for the smoke?
What, what, what? :)
I only brine meat that is not fatty. I always brine chicken or turkey. Or, very lean pork. The butt.....I use dry rub only and always. Smear it with a very thin layer of cheapo yellow mustard (so the rub sticks) then liberally apply dry rub. I don't make my own...yet. I typically buy whatever rub is on sale.....I'm not that picky. I use a combination of hickory and cherry. Hickory is my favorite. I use it in combination with real lump charcoal. I do keep a bag of briquettes handy as a backup or supplemental as they are easy to handle. I use internal temperature to tell me when it's done.
Love your reply, GOS.

You do BBQ like moi.

I have marinated smaller boneless butt with authentic Cuban marinades.
OMG, the explosion of flavor.
Plain, in tacos, Cuban sandwiches.

You're exactly right on the dry rub, mustard combo.
Mustard penetrates meat better than any other moist or dry spice\herb whatever.

Also jerked pork butt. Perfect as the large surface area can take a load of the paste & not be too hot but still savory.
And then there's Porchetta...

Love grilling & BBQ.

Back