Grover Washington Jr. Soul Box Q8 question???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

captainwrong

Just got this one today. Is this supposed to be a two tape set or is there just one tape?

Reason I ask is the LP is a Vol 1 and Vol 2 and the tape I got has no indication of a Vol number but has Trouble Man from Vol 1 and a few (but not all) tracks from Vol 2. It's also kind of got me curious b/c I know Vol 2 came out in SQ but Vol 1 didn't.

I know tape versions of two record sets were often abridged back in the day, so I'm wondering if that's the case here.

Grover Washington or Don Sebesky?

CTI label as I recall; a 2 Q8 pkg surrounded with a cardboard case ala the Columbia Chicago double Q8 releases...

timbre4

Nope, it's Grover. The Don Sebesky thing is the Big Box album. Soul Box is on CTI's Kudu label. It came in an orange "Kudu Quadraphonic" sleeve that only housed one tape. Knowing that CTI packaged their doubles like that may be the clue I need.

hi captainwrong

the Grover Washington jr soul box is a 2 Q8 set and here are the #'s twin pack KQX8 1213-1 / KQX8 1213-2 ok thanks Gerardo;)

Ahh fudge! That's what I was afraid of. Guess I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for the other tape now.

I think just a bit more investigation is in order before being disappointed and beginning a search for that other cart. Here's a bit more information that may help with the puzzle:

My conversion from Q4 has the following tracks:

1. Aubrey - 3:40
2. Masterpiece - 13:20
3. Trouble Man - 15:55
4. You are the Sushine of My Life - 6:00
5. Don't Explain - 11:20
6. Easy Living/Ain't Nobody's Business If I Do (Medley)- 10:00
7. Taurian Matador - 8:09

From allmusic.com here's a little info on the double LP released in 1973:

Soul Box, a double LP recorded in 1973, has Creed Taylor's production enhanced by a symphony orchestra and full-blown jazz band arranged and conducted by Bob James. Some of the session men include Ron Carter, Billy Cobham, Eric Gale, Idris Muhammad, Airto, and Richard Tee. Soul Box only contains seven cuts. Among them are truly innovative reads of Weather Report's "Taurian Matador," Stevie Wonder's "You Are the Sunshine of My Life," a sidelong jam on Marvin Gaye's "Trouble Man" (the album's centerpiece and masterpiece), and the deep funk of Norman Whitfield's "Masterpiece." "Trouble Man," however, is the cut on which.....

Here is the track listing for VOL 1:

1. Aubrey (Gates) - 3:44
2. Masterpiece (Whitfield) - 13:22
3. Trouble Man (Gaye) - 15:54

Here is the track listing for VOL 2:

1. Aubrey (Gates) - 3:40
2. Masterpiece (Whitfield) - 13:20
3. Trouble Man (Gaye) - 15:55
4. You Are the Sunshine of My Life (Wonder) - 6:00
5. Don't Explain (Herzog/Holiday) - 11:20
6. Easy Living/Ain't Nobody's Busienss If I... - 10:00
7. Taurian Matador - 8:09

Those familiar with Q8s have become acutely aware that the track listings and even the mixes can differ from Q8 to LP. It appears here that VOL 2 of the LP contains all 3 tracks from VOL 1 plus the additional tracks 4 through 7. I find it hard to believe that an LP will hold 68.5 minutes of music, but a Q8 could.

Maybe Gerardo will post the track listing from the Q8 VOL 2 with times for us. Would you mind, please, Gerardo?

QM

That track listing for Vol 2 is wrong. The LP only has the last four tracks. Here's a possible source for the confusion, KUDU released Soul Box as 2 seperate LPs (Vol 1 & 2 KU-12 and KU 13) as well as putting both in a box (KUX-1213) and selling it that way. Allmusic may have put the listing for the boxed version as the listing for Vol2 by mistake.

I have no idea why they did it like this, but I own it as two individual LPs and have seen it as the boxed version. The ad in the liner also makes note of this and mentions the 8-track version, but says nothing about the Quad version unlike other CTI/Kudu albums.

Back