Guns N‘ Roses - Appetite For Destruction Locked N’ Loaded Edition

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm having troubles with the GNR mix now that I finally have it, and I really don't think this is typical of ES - listening to Sweet Child and Patience it seems the lead vocals are all over the place, like...everywhere except the centre channel. I enjoy the music, but the vocals are almost as bad as the Soundgarden Adam kasper mix. ANyone got any suggestions? I know my system is pretty dialed in because my reference cuts like Joe Satriani, BJ Scenes Italian Restaurant and SW's Perfect Life (from HCE) all sound absolutely magic.

Very disappointed but for sure going to explore more when I have more time, I just had about 10 mins the other night so checked out those two cuts.

I'm having troubles with the GNR mix now that I finally have it, and I really don't think this is typical of ES - listening to Sweet Child and Patience it seems the lead vocals are all over the place, like...everywhere except the centre channel.

I'd have to disagree with that. Scheiner almost never puts the vocals in the center channel, they're usually audible in all channels but loudest in the front left and right.

I'd have to disagree with that. Scheiner almost never puts the vocals in the center channel, they're usually audible in all channels but loudest in the front left and right.

No sorry I wasn't trying to say I expected them to be in the centre, only that I didn't expect them to be outside the front soundstage. I am prominently hearing the lead vocal in all four corners of my room, it isn't remotely like my recollection of the vocals in say Toto IV 5.1 mix. My personal preference is centre isolated, but also acceptable is anchored firmly to the front of the soundstage...never in the rears!

No sorry I wasn't trying to say I expected them to be in the centre, only that I didn't expect them to be outside the front soundstage. I am prominently hearing the lead vocal in all four corners of my room, it isn't remotely like my recollection of the vocals in say Toto IV 5.1 mix. My personal preference is centre isolated, but also acceptable is anchored firmly to the front of the soundstage...never in the rears!

I've had the box since the week it was released and I've played it quite a few times. On my both my car and home systems the vocals are strongest in the fronts. I've even played with the waveforms on my PC, listened to channels individually and the fronts in one ear and rears in the other. This is definitely not a vocals x4 mix. Almost every Scheiner mix I've heard has the a reflection of the lead vocal in the rears at about half volume, with the two exceptions being Toy Matinee and Boz Scaggs' Dig.

Hmm, I'll try the surrounds -4dB and see if that balances it out a little better. I don't recall any ES mixes I've disliked before so I was caught off guard, but I also haven't listened to much since recently calibrating using Audyssey MXT32+SubHT after adding four atmos speakers so it may have cranked the surrounds more than I'm used to for surround material...will revist other titles I'm more familiar with also to see if I feel the same way.

So, the Locked N’ Loaded Edition is now $399 "until June 17th". Man, Universal Music must have really taken a bath on this release...but hang on... how do I know about this latest price reduction?

Why because now the band is selling a Limited Edition Appetite for Destruction personalized plaque which is... wait for it...$395.

This LIMITED EDITION personalized plaque commemorates Appetite For Destruction. Authenticated with the official RIAA certification signifying over 18 million copies sold, collectively, worldwide. This award features a platinum colored vinyl record and personalized, engraved inscription plate. Makes the perfect addition to any home or office all framed in a .75" black frame.

Plaques are personalized with name entered in the "Name to be inscribed" field above. Please be sure to check the inscription name in your cart and again at checkout for accuracy.

Please note, orders submitted using band and/or band members' name on inscription field will be cancelled.

Non-refunds or exchanges.

So you know, now you can officially pretend you / someone else was involved in the creation of one of the most lauded rock albums of the 20th century when in fact, you don't even know anyone in the band, and in all likelihood, you've never even set foot in a recording studio.

Although, having said that, if I had the spare cash, I'd get one inscribed to "Art Vanderlay" just for the hell of it.

Last edited:
So, the Locked N’ Loaded Edition is now $399 "until June 17th". Man, Universal Music must have really taken a bath on this release...but hang on... how do I know about this latest price reduction?

Why because now the band is selling a Limited Edition Appetite for Destruction personalized plaque which is... wait for it...$395.

So you know, now you can officially pretend you / someone else was involved in the creation of one of the most lauded rock albums of the 20th century when in fact, you don't even know anyone in the band, and in all likelihood, you've never even set foot in a recording studio.

Although, having said that, if I had the spare cash, I'd get one inscribed to "Art Vanderlay" just for the hell of it.

Why do you think Universal lost money on the box set? I don't...I don't think they ever envisioned selling all 10,000 of them at $1,000 each...for every one they sold at that price all the orders came from the website only...that means they cut their distribution costs...and made a tidy sum...even at the current price it's a money maker...and the funny thing is that now people view it as a bargain...at $400!...I'd say they are doing pretty well...

Why do you think Universal lost money on the box set? I don't...I don't think they ever envisioned selling all 10,000 of them at $1,000 each...for every one they sold at that price all the orders came from the website only...that means they cut their distribution costs...and made a tidy sum...even at the current price it's a money maker...and the funny thing is that now people view it as a bargain...at $400!...I'd say they are doing pretty well...

I wish they'd just dispense with these ridiculous box sets altogether and spend the time and money remixing artist's back catalogues into surround. In the time it takes them to dig into the vaults and unearth B sides, cutting room floor paraphernalia, elaborate hard covered coffee table sized books, posters, etc. imagine what they could remaster [properly] and remix??????????

Yeah, surround enthuisiasts may be a NICHE market .... but the market for these $1K boxsets and ugh, $400 Plaques is even more NICHE, IMO.

I wish they'd just dispense with these ridiculous box sets altogether and spend the time and money remixing artist's back catalogues into surround. In the time it takes them to dig into the vaults and unearth B sides, cutting room floor paraphernalia, elaborate hard covered coffee table sized books, posters, etc. imagine what they could remaster [properly] and remix??????????

Even more than what you mentioned....just issue the titles now and quit waiting for these cheesy anniversary dates...that is so absurd...I wish they would realize that some of us won't be around much longer and waiting for some arbitrary date is stupid...this isn't the greeting card industry....just release the music...you don't need an excuse:mad:

Even more than what you mentioned....just issue the titles now and quit waiting for these cheesy anniversary dates...that is so absurd...I wish they would realize that some of us won't be around much longer and waiting for some arbitrary date is stupid...this isn't the greeting card industry....just release the music...you don't need an excuse:mad:

I'm thinking to myself Clinty ..... if a small reissue company like Dutton Vocalion can actually release a NO FRILLS two~fer QUAD SACD title for £11.99, why can't a MAJOR MAJOR Conglomerate like UMG do something in a similar vein?

I can ONLY imagine what those hard covered coffee table sized books alone cost to print!!!!!

I'm not so sure they didn't expect far better sales, to be honest. Remember, that recent Toto box set sold out despite its $500 price tag, and while it has a lot more content, look at something like the upcoming Woodstock release from Rhino, which is $800 for 38 CDs and a Blu-ray with some swag. I kind of think that Universal thought the combination of a seminal album in a lavish box, with the Blu-ray, CDs vinyl and high-res digital formats all together, would have sold better than it apparently has done.

Now, like you, I also doubt Universal thought they could sell 10,000 boxes for $1,000 each, but that's quite a bit different than cutting 60% off of that price within a year, and if I recall correctly, I think they knocked about $400-$500 off of the price in less than six months, to boot. Maybe that was the plan all along, but surely they're now getting dangerously close to eliminating all profit on these at $399 (plus the $30 shipping fee). I would guess that ideally, barring a complete sell out, they'd want to be at least 75% sold out by now and maybe at a second price cut from, say, $800 to $700, but instead, the frequency and speed of the discounts is probably a strong indication that they are sitting on a lot of stock and can't find a price at which this box will sell.

And the biggest issue I can see is, with that kind of massive price reduction so quickly, I personally would feel quite silly if I had paid the initial price on release. That probably means that many people who did buy this big box will be even warier when the next big box comes along.

I'm thinking to myself Clinty ..... if a small reissue company like Dutton Vocalion can actually release a NO FRILLS two~fer QUAD SACD title for £11.99, why can't a MAJOR MAJOR Conglomerate like UMG do something in a similar vein?

Because these MAJOR MAJOR conglomerates have huge bloated cost infrastructures with many overhead costs associated with them. Lets also not forgot the inflated management structures and their concomitant salaries. I know I am preaching to the choir, but just had to rant.

Ill live w my old cd in stereo....if they ever release the stand alone bluray at a reasonable price i may pick it up...but no way would i ever pay these ridiculous prices...ever...not even if i were to win the lotto

I'm not so sure they didn't expect far better sales, to be honest. Remember, that recent Toto box set sold out despite its $500 price tag, and while it has a lot more content, look at something like the upcoming Woodstock release from Rhino, which is $800 for 38 CDs and a Blu-ray with some swag. I kind of think that Universal thought the combination of a seminal album in a lavish box, with the Blu-ray, CDs vinyl and high-res digital formats all together, would have sold better than it apparently has done.

Now, like you, I also doubt Universal thought they could sell 10,000 boxes for $1,000 each, but that's quite a bit different than cutting 60% off of that price within a year, and if I recall correctly, I think they knocked about $400-$500 off of the price in less than six months, to boot. Maybe that was the plan all along, but surely they're now getting dangerously close to eliminating all profit on these at $399 (plus the $30 shipping fee). I would guess that ideally, barring a complete sell out, they'd want to be at least 75% sold out by now and maybe at a second price cut from, say, $800 to $700, but instead, the frequency and speed of the discounts is probably a strong indication that they are sitting on a lot of stock and can't find a price at which this box will sell.

And the biggest issue I can see is, with that kind of massive price reduction so quickly, I personally would feel quite silly if I had paid the initial price on release. That probably means that many people who did buy this big box will be even warier when the next big box comes along.
These kinds of prices disgust 🤮 me.
Catch-22; but for me- TOMBS!

Well thats better price but still too high...im a grown adult...dont want or need posters replica ticket stubs or any other BS...just the music...just the bluray...or they can keep it

Well...Universal already tried marketing standalone Blu-Rays and clearly they feel that's not a successful business model. So we have these sets, and honestly, we're lucky they include surround mixes at all. And who knows how long it'll be in print - You could pay $80 now or up to $400 in a year or two (that's what the Layla set mixed by Scheiner goes for now).

When they stop doing these "super deluxe editions", that's when we're really screwed...

Back