HiRez Poll Guy, Buddy - DJ PLAY MY BLUES [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Buddy Guy - DJ PLAY MY BLUES

• 8:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters
I had a couple back and forth emails with John from JSP Records. He said "the costs of manufacturing the SACDs proved impossible to overcome in the end".
We continued and I showed him QQ and some other stuff, he commented "I will explore this with manufacturers and distributors and if there is any way I can get back into it I will. I personally love the whole 5.1 thing."

Very positive, wouldn't you say? Check out the JSP site, maybe buy a couple CD's and show your support for surround BLUES listening.
Record Label | JSP Records

I had a couple back and forth emails with John from JSP Records. He said "the costs of manufacturing the SACDs proved impossible to overcome in the end".
We continued and I showed him QQ and some other stuff, he commented "I will explore this with manufacturers and distributors and if there is any way I can get back into it I will. I personally love the whole 5.1 thing."

Very positive, wouldn't you say? Check out the JSP site, maybe buy a couple CD's and show your support for surround BLUES listening.

Fingers crossed, Markie: A GREAT series of authentic Blues Recordings in stunning discrete sonics! I have all but one in the SACD Multi~CH series and cherish each and every one!

Just had a nice email exchange with John from JSP, which is pretty cool since I've been a fan of his label ever since I picked up a vinyl copy of the Buddy and Phil Guy LP way back in the late 80s. He appreciated the interest and reiterated the fact that production costs were what killed the 5.1 SACD series.

Unfortunately, he confirmed that he does not have any Buddy Guy SACDs to sell - in fact, he said he only has a single reference copy left in his possession! He was able to hook me up with a copy of the Jimmy Witherspoon disc, but he said that was his very last one. For anyone interested, he does still have copies of the following titles: Michael Hill, Lowell Fulson, and James/Lucky Peterson.

Now, I just need to find the Buddy Guy, Carey Bell, and Hubert Sumlin discs to complete the collection!

Just had a nice email exchange with John from JSP, which is pretty cool since I've been a fan of his label ever since I picked up a vinyl copy of the Buddy and Phil Guy LP way back in the late 80s. He appreciated the interest and reiterated the fact that production costs were what killed the 5.1 SACD series.

Unfortunately, he confirmed that he does not have any Buddy Guy SACDs to sell - in fact, he said he only has a single reference copy left in his possession! He was able to hook me up with a copy of the Jimmy Witherspoon disc, but he said that was his very last one. For anyone interested, he does still have copies of the following titles: Michael Hill, Lowell Fulson, and James/Lucky Peterson.

Now, I just need to find the Buddy Guy, Carey Bell, and Hubert Sumlin discs to complete the collection!

Thanks for the tip.

Yesterday, I managed to secure a Multi~CH SACD copy of this disc, sealed, from an AmazonUS third party vendor for $25 but no more at that price...just checked:

510TZXE5F0L.jpg

wonder if JSP Records could do a collaboration with Dutton Vocalion to make more 5.1 SACDs happen..? 🤔

Fingers crossed, Markie: A GREAT series of authentic Blues Recordings in stunning discrete sonics! I have all but one in the SACD Multi~CH series and cherish each and every one!

some of my all-time favourites, Ralphie! i just wish there were more of the same calibre on MultiCh SACD!

Marpow, when you emailed John, did he mention anything about the Buddy Guy release called "Live at the Checkerboard lounge"? Although it was a stereo only release, it is my understanding that the master tape is a live to 4 track mix done by Ken Rasek. I was hoping the cd might have been encoded, but it seems to be "collapesed" down to stereo. Maybe he would consider doing multichannel flac downloads, like Fripp does with DGM? Anyway, the Buddy Guy release would be something to ask him about to see if that story is actually true. For what it's worth, there are pictures of Ken and his gear in the cover art.

Nice score
One of the two JSPs SACDs I don’t have (the other is Hubert Sumlin)

Every once in awhile, AmazonUS comes through with some 'pretty good deals' and the seller did state it was an actual SACD, sealed and would ship first class.

I liked Adam's idea of JSP Records aligning with Dutton Epoch to reissue all those Multi~CH SACDs and even Stereo ...that's if both parties are in agreement!

Marpow, when you emailed John, did he mention anything about the Buddy Guy release called "Live at the Checkerboard lounge"? Although it was a stereo only release, it is my understanding that the master tape is a live to 4 track mix done by Ken Rasek. I was hoping the cd might have been encoded, but it seems to be "collapesed" down to stereo. Maybe he would consider doing multichannel flac downloads, like Fripp does with DGM? Anyway, the Buddy Guy release would be something to ask him about to see if that story is actually true. For what it's worth, there are pictures of Ken and his gear in the cover art.
He is very approachable, nice guy. You could email him and ask. Just use the Contact Us button.
https://www.jsprecords.com/

i liked 'em so much i bought 'em all :LOL:
luckily i was hoovering them way back up before prices for used copies went slightly loopy!
(afaik this is everything JSP released on Surround SACD?)

View attachment 70917

View attachment 70918

Great 'sleuthing' Adam. I even managed to buy a back up copy of this JSP multichannel SACD the other day sealed for under $10, delivered!

Black Gold & Goddesses Bold

I had my eye on one on amazon.de for 29 Euros for a while, was waiting to buy it when I had the money to spare, but then it was gone. Stupid me. A while later, I saw it for 9.99, immediately put it into my cart, but somebody else bought it before I could finish the purchase!!

Finally found one for 43 Euros shipping included on Discogs the other day. Just arrived today. What a fantastic album, sound quality and surround mix.

Back