Help needed: my JVC 4DD-10 model, who knows something about it ? (with inside pics)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VFET4ever

Before I would like to ask my questions, I would like to say that I'm new to this very interesting forum. Although I'm into collecting and rebuilding vintage amplifiers for many years (VFETs and the like are my passion), I was never into quadraphonics... until recently. It's like discovering a whole new world, while I wonder how you can miss it out when one is into 70's vintage gear daily... The CD-4 unit below might make me enter the quadraphonic madness, who knows.

Anyway, I was more or less forced to buy this mystery unit (to me) when buying some other gear, it's a JVC 4DD-10. As you can see, it is in an absolute mint condition, looks like to owner used it for a few months and then stored until 2011 somewhere in the attic. I call it myself a mystery unit because really nothing comes up when googling it (and I mean NOTHING for over 20 pages...), not even in this forum !

Yes, a very lot can be found on the sister model 4DD-5, but nothing about this '10' model. Therefore, if there is any place where some folks could perhaps help me out to tell me something about it, then it must be this forum.

My questions:
- is it a rare model ?
- when was it build (before/after/during the '5' model) ?
- was it perhaps built for a specific market only ?
- considering the US/Japanese power plug, perhaps it was bought there and imported by the buyer (I bought it in Holland) ?
- what would be is market value ?

- ok, here it comes: is it better or lesser then the '5' model ?

And the two most important questions:
- can anybody please help to find me a service manual (copy or original)?
- can anybody please help to find me an user manual (copy or original)?

Of course I could (should?) leave it untouched, but I know from my amp collection and works that at least the electrolytic caps should be replaced rather sooner then later. I can do a decent recap very well (did many), but I prefer to have the circuit diagram (and service/adjustment notes) before any work starts. I was lucky to find an original service manual of the ‘5’ model last week, but as it turns out the ‘5’ and ‘10’ model have not much in common in the circuit design, they seem fundamentally different (the ‘10’ model having much more components).

Looking at pictures of the ‘5’ model, it looks like that the separation pots have moved from the back to the front on the ‘10’ model. And the enclosure has differentl diemnsions as well.

Many thanks in advance,
Ozzy

First some pictures of the outside:

JVC4DD-10img1.jpg

JVC4DD-10img2.jpg

JVC4DD-10img3.jpg

Last edited:
It appears that JVC decided to build this unit without integrated circuits. This is beneficial because integrated circuits can become unavaillable. While the 4DD5's chips can still be had, they are not in common use anymore, and I expect them to slide into oblivion soon. This is a rare unit, not many were made. This might make finding a schematic hard to do. The only 4dd5 info we now have was gathered from bits and pieces that members and others had. I wish you all the luck with that, and if I get some spare time, I might do a little searching myself. Come to think about it, I have some info on another model other than the 4DD5, but I don't think it's the 10. I would recommend that since you do not have alignment instructions, that you only replace the electrolytics required to get it running.
The Quadfather

I don't see any exterior carrier level adjustment unless it's on the bottom. If not, it must have an automatic carrier level circuit.

Doug

I dunno what happened, but the thread wasn't readable for a week; thanks to the moderator who corrected it.

Thanks for the replies, I have well red all the links given. So, there is really not much (eh, nothing) about to be found, it seems. Only one line that the 4DD-10 export started somewhere in 1972.

Awesome, I have rare unit then ! Yes, there are no IC's in it, it's all solid state (as it should be). But thinking of it, I wonder what to do with it. I'm virtually new to this medium, and I have no CD4 vinyl laying around, and I would need to adapt my Kenwood KD-550 turn table as well (no idea if it has the required low-capacitance cabling etc.). Amp-wise no problem: two TA-4650 or two TA-5650 VFET amps are available....

I rather hesitate to intervene in a unit that is in such mint condition and completely untouched inside. Perhaps I should rather sell it to somebody who has a true collection and for who this would be a missing piece? I rebuilt quite a lot of vintage amps, but sometimes I think a unique unit should be left untouched as it would be a perfect preservation for future generations.

I didn't power it on; and I never would before recapping it. So if I keep it to use it, then I have to get the iron smoking... Hmm, I'm undecided here.

Ozzy

Nope, the unit I have a diagram for is the CD4-10 which is identical to the 4DD5 except it does not have an IC for the preamp. Still a single board system, most likely using the same case as the 4DD5. It's rare also, but it wouldn't be anything special over the 4DD5, which is a very fine demodulator.
The Quadfather

I guess the first question is to ask if the Marantz CD400B was a two circuit board unit. Then does it have IC's? If it's not, and/or if it's so, respectively, it's not a CD400B.
The Quadfather

Only opening the case of a CD400B will reveal the answer. But a silly question, no. I worked on audio electronics and CB radios during the quad era. It was not uncommon at all for a manufacturer to rebrand another manufacturer's product. Sometimes they just put their own name on a good product. The 4DD5 was extensively done this way, and sometimes only the boards were purchased and they were reboxed as did Marantz with the CD400 (a 4DD5). Marantz usually provided very nice cases.

Back