Help needed: my JVC 4DD-10 model, who knows something about it ? (with inside pics)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I deleted the original content of this post because it didn't come out right. I was way tired when I wrote it and it sounded accusatory which I didn't mean.

I apologize.

Doug

Last edited:
Sir, there is nobody sitting on any knowledge. We all share everything we have, the minute it is asked for. I gathered together what we know about the 4DD5 from several sources and it was made availlable to all as soon as I had it. Unfortunately, the 4DD10 was in fact a rare unit, and there just isn't much info availlable on it. I have already done a search on it. There's nothing. And we like newcomers. We are always willing to help newbies. As far as whether the 4DD10 is the same as the Marantz CD400B, I do not know, but I think it uses the same CD-4 chip that the Technics SH400 used, thus it wouldn't be the same, however, 1978 was a long time ago, and that's probably about the last time I actually saw one opened up. This demod (the 4DD10) was probably mainly marketed in Japan.

@ Quadfather

Well, many thanks for all your (and others') contributions and time. Nice to know that I have at least one rare unit in my collection! For the moment I will leave it in untouched condition, also because I have no CD-4 setup. I think I should really start reading fist all CD-4 related threads on how to setup a CD-4 set, including the possible mods to my Kenwood KD-550 turntable. And of course, finding some CD-4 LPs....

Yep, knowing that there is an USA/Japan power plug on the power cord made me also think that it was either a model designated for the US or Japanese market, and that the previous owner probably imported it into Holland. Or perhaps is was a demonstration model from the Dutch JVC importer, who knows....

cheers to all of you

I posted pics of the Marantz CD-400B in the Vintage Equipment Gallery section:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?14532-CD4-Marantz-CD-400B

I do not think the JVC 4DD-10 is the same unit as the Marantz.

Here are more shots of the inside of the CD-400B. These are from the bottom of the unit looking up. The circuit board is positioned at the top of the unit with the components hanging down.

IMG_8616.JPG IMG_8620.JPG

Among other differences, the Marantz CD-400B has the separation controls on the rear of the unit.

Interesting, thanks for posting your pics. It's clearly diferent from the 4DD-10 model. Besides the physical differences, one major difference is that your Marantz CD-400B has chips (ICs), while the 4DD-10 has none at all (all solid state, what a pleasure...)

I have one of these units and often wondered why it wasn't listed along with the well known unit. Bought it fairly cheaply a few years ago and still don't have a suitable stylus/cartridge to try it out. I have a small pile of mainly Japanese CD4 records to test it with when the opportunity arises. I may try to obtain a suitable AT cart in the near future as I doubt I can afford the new Lou Dorrenmodel

Yeah, that's not a USA style plug. Our power is 120 volts and uses a two blade type plug. That is a two pin type plug and is often used with 230 volt systems. Definitely check the line voltage setting before you plug it in. Of course, you will need to know what voltage your country uses.
The Quadfather

I have one of these units and often wondered why it wasn't listed along with the well known unit. Bought it fairly cheaply a few years ago and still don't have a suitable stylus/cartridge to try it out. I have a small pile of mainly Japanese CD4 records to test it with when the opportunity arises. I may try to obtain a suitable AT cart in the near future as I doubt I can afford the new Lou Dorrenmodel

at the rate of progress he's making, if you can put aside 50 cents a day from now on you'll probably make it no worries

Yeah, that's not a USA style plug. Our power is 120 volts and uses a two blade type plug. That is a two pin type plug and is often used with 230 volt systems. Definitely check the line voltage setting before you plug it in. Of course, you will need to know what voltage your country uses.
The Quadfather

The earlier pictures were a bit misleading on the power plug. In fact, it's like the picture below. It's a US/Japan power plug with an adapter plug. The line voltage selector switch inside the unit is set to 220 volt, which was the line voltage in Europe in the 70's, then it was increased by 1 volt/year for the next 15 years to become between 235 and 240 volts today. Although most solid state is not really that sensitive to 8~10% higher supply voltage, I could set the power selector switch to 240 volts.

Ozzy

JVC4DD-10img8.jpg

at the rate of progress he's making, if you can put aside 50 cents a day from now on you'll probably make it no worries

Hehe, this is funny. I, for one though, will not complain as Lou's new demodulator is a gift (well, not technically since we have to pay for it). But to think one of the main quad guys from BITD is doing this is most incredible!

Doug

A very cool piece. We were a JVC dealer back then and my store was near JVC's Chicago facility. We had a fantastic relationship with them. I don't ever recall being offered the 4DD-10, but vaguely recall seeing a photo of it somewhere back then.

Linda
Contessa of CD-4

Hehe, this is funny. I, for one though, will not complain as Lou's new demodulator is a gift (well, not technically since we have to pay for it). But to think one of the main quad guys from BITD is doing this is most incredible!

Doug

Hi everyone.
I have followed this thread in the hope that someone would have some information on the 4DD-10 because I also have one in similar condition to that owned by VFET4ever. Sadly, there appears to be nothing other than that already mentioned in the JVC literature stating that the 4DD-10 was released for export in March 1972.

BTW, could the two trimpots accessible via the the right hand side plate of the bottom chassis be the carrier level adjustment?

Hi everyone.
I have followed this thread in the hope that someone would have some information on the 4DD-10 because I also have one in similar condition to that owned by VFET4ever. Sadly, there appears to be nothing other than that already mentioned in the JVC literature stating that the 4DD-10 was released for export in March 1972.

BTW, could the two trimpots accessible via the the right hand side plate of the bottom chassis be the carrier level adjustment?

Hi rherber1,
Which country do you live? So far, only myself (France) and another poster from Italy have one. It would be good to know where these units are found in the first place. Concerning your question about the pots, I still haven't found a schematic or service manual for this unit. I'm very much into electronics, and the only way forward seems to make a schematic myself from the PCBs. that will be a hell of a job, but I intend to do that in 2012 after finishing the home construction works. What I really like is that it is a real solid state design, and anybody can build a modern version once the schematic is made. Furthermore, I will need some help of CD-4 topology experts around here to analyse it's design and how to adjust it.
cheers,
oscar

Back