Help with Talking Heads DVD-A discs with non-standard format?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimfisheye

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Does anyone have any information on the Talking Heads DVDA "DualDisc" box set?

I picked this up used. The discs appear to be the DVDA format... but they're not (at least not the official standard version).

By "appear to be DVDA" I mean there's an AUDIO_TS folder with the expected files inside (IFO and AOB files). DVDAExplorer seems to recognize the discs as DVDA and I can see a track list of HD surround tracks and then HD stereo tracks. Except... DVDAExplorer acts like there are either errors or possibly some non-standard copy protection? It errors out the same way for each of the 8 discs (and immediately upon hitting extract).

These discs look completely undamaged. There is no sign of corrosion. I don't think it's reasonable that all 8 discs could have unseen damage and every one of them right in the very first moment of the first track.

This is all legitimate stuff too. These are the official releases (as far as I can tell anyway). I bought them used on eBay, so an Amazon style return for replacement is not an option here.

I play all media with the computer feeding an Apogee Rosetta800 audio interface. I purchase legitimate legal copies of my music (yes - sometimes used). I rip disc formats to lossless FLAC files (both 5.1 & stereo) to archive and listen to. I use DVDAExplorer for DVDA format discs and MakeMKV for blu-ray discs (MakeMKV charges $50 one time for continued access to the blu-ray copy protection codes so that Sony still gets their additional cut).

DVDAExplorer gives an error with the 'Recover from stream errors' and/or 'ignore stream errors' boxes unchecked. It hangs and crashes with the boxes checked.
MakeMKV doesn't even see the AUDIO_TS content - but I believe this app doesn't include the ability to rip DVDA (probably because they're doing business with Sony).

I tried copying the disc to the hard drive first. DVDAExplorer has the exact same troubles with the copy. (Copying both as a disc image and as data - which both normally work with DVDAExplorer.)

aside:
I had a old Nine Inch Nails DVDA (also a "DualDisc") that had some odd non-standard copy protection on it that I ripped with DVDAExplorer by running the Windows version of DVDAExplorer (I have an old install of Parallels with Windows XP still on my machine). Seems the copy protection was only enforced in OSX. When running the Windows version of DVDAExplorer directly in OSX (with Wine), the copy protection was still enforced.

That's all poor ideas from the past of course (the DRM). Since most of us listen to music with a computer, you can't very well try to sell discs that don't read anymore (or only play on some oddball proprietary hardware player).

Anyway...
I tried both Windows tricks with these Talking Heads discs and it didn't work!

Anyone know how to play these discs?
What app to rip them with?
Was there some odd format being sold in 2005 that I missed?

Or...
Could all 8 of these really be damaged?
Could I have possible bought bootlegs? (They sure look official. Box and everything.)

Right now they're coasters!
(The VIDEO_TS content seems to be there error free. As well as the lossy 16 bit portable copies on the flip side of the discs that I have zero interest in.)

Anyone have these discs and know how to successfully rip the DVDA content?
Or did I just pay WAY too much for a set of Talking Heads coasters?

I've successfully extracted them using DVDAExplorer.

Your other option is to use Foobar2000 with the DVDA plugin installed to convert to FLAC.

I've successfully extracted them using DVDAExplorer.

Your other option is to use Foobar2000 with the DVDA plugin installed to convert to FLAC.

Thanks for the reply! And that sounds hopeful then!

What version of DVDAExplorer do you have? 2008.07.21 (beta 3) here.

I think I checked out that Foobar app a few years ago and dismissed it. (Been using Songbird) Maybe I need to check it out again?

What version of DVDAExplorer do you have? 2008.07.21 (beta 3) here.

I think I checked out that Foobar app a few years ago and dismissed it. Maybe I need to check it out again?

I'm not at home, but yes I think it's that one.

I'm not at home, but yes I think it's that one.

Oh...
Well... that might suggest that these discs ARE in fact damaged somehow...

Not so hopeful then...

(I was pretty sure that version was the latest and greatest. I've had it for a few years now and I don't think it's still being developed anymore.)

Oh...
Well... that might suggest that these discs ARE in fact damaged somehow...

Not so hopeful then...

(I was pretty sure that version was the latest and greatest. I've had it for a few years now and I don't think it's still being developed anymore.)

I suspect something has happened to your installation. Try to re-install it..

I suspect something has happened to your installation. Try to re-install it..

Thanks for your attention LizardKing! :)

Just tried a couple other DVDA discs. Only trouble is with these Talking Heads discs. Nothing wrong with the install (which is literally simply an .app file dragged into the Applications folder).

It really doesn't seem reasonable to me to suspect an error right at the very beginning of the first track on every disc...

Tried both my Macbook Pro and my Mac Pro as well to rule out a possible stubborn optical drive. Same issue on both. And again, I can successfully copy the disc (as image file or data) to my file system and get the same error with DVDAExplorer.

Are you using DVD Audio Extractor or DVDAExplorer (which I thought was PC only).

DVDAExplorer. I run OSX and have the native Mac version. I'm aware of "DVD Audio Extractor" and that it has the HD audio features locked out. Ran across that bait & switch app a long time ago!

I do have the Windows version too as I mentioned. I ran it natively in OSX with Wine to try that also and it gives the same error. I also have a very old install of Parallels with Windows XP itself on the laptop (that shockingly just launched and ran after sitting dormant for years) - it didn't work either. I'm aware of the thing where some copy protection is only enforced on the Mac. I had that come up once for a NIN DualDisc but the workaround worked there.

So... I thought I tried everything!

Well, the paid version of DVD Audio Extractor is golden. A great tool for DVD Audio and unencrypted Blu-ray. I don't consider it "bait and switch" to have a free version with basic functionality and a paid upgrade to unlock everything. That is just a company that wants to make money for their efforts.

I guess I never tracked down the Mac version of DVD-AExplorer, I'll try the PC version on my Talking Heads and see what happens.

Well, the paid version of DVD Audio Extractor is golden. A great tool for DVD Audio and unencrypted Blu-ray. I don't consider it "bait and switch" to have a free version with basic functionality and a paid upgrade to unlock everything. That is just a company that wants to make money for their efforts.

I guess I never tracked down the Mac version of DVD-AExplorer, I'll try the PC version on my Talking Heads and see what happens.

Appreciate that Cheezmo!
I wonder if I've stumbled on some oddball copy-protection that was extra aggressive for OSX? I can only speculate...

Maybe I should ask: What app did they want me to purchase in 2005 for ripping DVDA with the blessing of the 'company'?

It sure looks like some DRM gone wild anyway... All the discs error out immediately on the first 5.1 track.

The only app I ever purchased was "DVD Audio Extractor". They have a 30 day free trial so maybe you can test it?

By the the way, I also tested DVD Audio Extractor on the Mac and it works fine with the Talking Heads Dualdisc.

I just tried their demo... and it just worked! :D

I remember now...
The last time I tried their demo (a few years now) it was apparently too paranoid for it's own good. Gave an error message accusing you of resetting your system clock I believe it was.

Well that's all in the past and it just worked and it was convenient and I'm going to just buy it.

Well, wow, that was quick and easy! Thanks Cheezmo and LizardKing too! :)

Well I was hoping the new and improved DVD Audio Extractor would be able to handle the DTS 24/96 format too.
Nope. Only reads the core DTS portion.

Back to the kludged together mess of apps and hacked apps (even including one Windows app) to rip and listen to my new Jethro Tull DVD.

Was really hoping that would improve and/or that format would just be eliminated by now. What year is it again?

Back