Hi from Tokyo

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I go to a used record store in Tokyo, Quad LPs are sometimes sold for around 500 yen($4.4) , in category of regular LPs.The most common is the cheap mix of old idols.
Is there any Akina Nakamori in there? I don't know if she has any Quad releases though. I do love me some pop music.

I'm wondering too. Where did the person listening at 70s go? Of course, since it's my father's generation, many people will be gone. Maybe, I think there was no interaction between users. I also know only my father as a 4ch user. How wonderful it would have been if a community like QQ existed at that time! There may have been no disruption of information since the 1980s.
When I go to a used record store in Tokyo, Quad LPs are sometimes sold for around 500 yen($4.4) , in category of regular LPs.The most common is the cheap mix of old idols. There is a temptation to buy it, but unfortunately I have given up because I can't play it. I hope I can revive it someday.

Thank you for your kind words.

Hello Ichiro,
from what i have read during the decades here, there was some interaction between quad users in the USA, outside USA and Japan quad did not gain enough sales to create a serious market. Looking at the quad releases in any format country by country shows the only two big market for quad were USA and Japan, UK a distant third and then sporadic releases elsewhere.

What can sound weird for you is that in the USA many releases were only on Quad 8 track tape. That was because the 8 track system was already well accepted in the USA market and it was fairly cheap to adapt the existing production line from stereo to quad, and it had no "format war" due to incompatible standards as it was on LP, where the big system were at least 3, SQ, QS/RM and CD4.

I know in Japan 8 track tapes are best known for cheap Karaoke machines, but as a quad media it had quite a catalog and it held its value during the years because: 1) was a discrete media while LP were matrix (SQ and QS/RM); 2) it was the only quad format for a specific title.

At present time there has been many reissues on digital media of old quad titles in the last 25 years, being DTS-CD, DVD-audio, SACD, Blu-Ray and some DVD-Video too with a Dolby Digital multichannel audio track. Not all is easy to find out now but you are in the right place to ask information about a specific title. Many times a digital multichannel disc is cheaper than the old analog one and you have less playback problem.

No equipment left, but only the pamphlet remains.
img20220122_060.jpgimg20220122_061.jpgimg20220122_062.jpgimg20220122_063.jpg
New disc guide of classic music in Decem.197X
img20220122_064.jpg

Dad's graffiti about 50 years ago written on the back of the new disc guide.
img20220122_065.jpg

Dad loved audio.

Hi, I'm Ichiro from Tokyo, Japan.
It's a nice surprise because there was no like this website in my country.
The first time I came in contact with quadraphonic was a record of music and sound effects that my father listened to on Technics' 4ch system - when I'm about 11, maybe 1974. From 1980s It has been 2ch, but from 2016 I've been listening to various surround sources of rock, pop and jazz with 5.1ch system. I am enjoying it very much.
Unfortunately, the system of 1970s' does not remain, but knowledge about the equipment and sound sources is very inspiring. It takes some time to read English, I'm looking forward to reading the article.
Thank you!
Welcome!!!!

Thanks, everyone.
I'm starting to read QQ article. It's fun.

Let me introduce this surround mix.
R-13903852-1563721730-1268.jpg
Hiko-Ki Gumo / Yumi Arai ひこうき雲 / 荒井由実

Around 1973, the mainstream of Japanese hit charts can be broadly divided into Kayou-kyoku (made by professional composition teams), Enka (inheriting traditional singing styles), and folk songs (mainly playing guitar). The rock band-type flow that originated in the 60s Beatles (called 'Group Sounds' in Japan) was broken down into the 70s and incorporated into Kayou-kyoku (because no one made a good song). Then she appeared. She was a type that had never existed in Japan before and was very fresh. Carole King, Joni Mitchell... may be similar types in Europe and America. Anyway, the theme and subject matter of the song was new and sophisticated sound (Haruomi Hosono, who will join Yello Magic Orchestra later, is playing the bass). She had a distinctive voice and singing ability was so-so, but her composition was exceptionally good. It's ordinally to listen to it now, but the other music felt really old and artificial at that time. She gains support, especially among the younger generation, but she has to wait two years until 1975 to climb the hit charts.
In Japan, for a while (until the 80s), new music including her was called ’New Music(nyu-myu-u-jikku)’. We differentiated by pronouncing English music as it is, not 'Ongaku' that means Japanese music. The Japanese often do this when they encounter a new ones.
After that she got married and changed her name to Yumi Matsutoya and made a big achievement.Her most brilliant period was from 1973 to 1976, which coincided with the heyday of Quad, but Quad wasn't produced because she wasn't mainstream.I sometimes think, isn't the fact that music that really attracts people's attention like this didn't become Quad led to the decline of Japanese 4ch?
After a long-long time, when it was used as the theme song in Hayao Miyazaki's animated film in 2013, only this one song was remixed to 5.1. This is simple type, but iconic her song. And... it's a special song because it adds teenage sweet memory with first girlfriend!

Original
R-9872374-1578476284-5003.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/master/407554-Yumi-Arai-荒井由実-Hikō-Ki-Gumo-ひこうき雲*'Hiko-Ki Gumo' means 'airplane clouds' = contrail

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone.

View attachment 75446

Around 1973, the mainstream of Japanese hit charts can be broadly divided into Kayou-kyoku (made by professional composition teams), Enka (inheriting traditional singing styles), and folk songs (mainly playing guitar). The rock band-type flow that originated in the 60s Beatles (called 'Group Sounds' in Japan) was broken down into the 70s and incorporated into Kayou-kyoku (because no one made a good song). Then she appeared. She was a type that had never existed in Japan before and was very fresh. Carole King, Joni Mitchell... may be similar types in Europe and America. Anyway, the theme and subject matter of the song was new and sophisticated sound (Haruomi Hosono, who will join Yello Magic Orchestra later, is playing the bass). She had a distinctive voice and singing ability was so-so, but her composition was exceptionally good. It's ordinally to listen to it now, but the other music felt really old at that time. She gains support, especially among the younger generation, but she has to wait two years until 1975 to climb the hit charts.
In Japan, for a while (until the 80s), new music including her was called ’New Music(nyu-myu-u-jikku)’. We differentiated by pronouncing English music as it is, not 'Ongaku' that means Japanese music. The Japanese often do this when they encounter a new ones.
After that she got married and changed her name to Yumi Matsutoya and made a big achievement.Her most brilliant period was from 1973 to 1976, which coincided with the heyday of Quad, but Quad wasn't produced because it wasn't mainstream.I sometimes think, isn't the fact that a song that really attracts people's attention like this didn't become Quad led to the decline of Japanese 4ch?
After a long-long time, when it was used as the theme song in Hayao Miyazaki's animated film in 2013, only this one song was remixed to 5.1. And... it's a special song because it adds teenage sweet memory with first girlfriend!

Original
View attachment 75447

https://www.discogs.com/master/407554-Yumi-Arai-荒井由実-Hikō-Ki-Gumo-ひこうき雲*'Hiko-Ki Gumo' means 'airplane clouds' = contrail

is this the song?

It had to be quite a success in Japan since it was the first CD release for Alfa records Japan in october 1983, when CD were rare and expensive.
Sampled two songs from the discogs link, it is very nice. Of course i can't understand a word, but the music and the melody are excellent.
Thanks. I'm glad you wrote your impressions.

Last edited:
Dutton Vocalion Quad Re-issue when?
Thanks for sharing, Ichiro! Looks to be a very cool album, and another one to add to the database. I did not know Yumi Matsutoya made music before her name change! Looks like I need to dig a bit deeper.

Thanks, everyone.

View attachment 75446

Around 1973, the mainstream of Japanese hit charts can be broadly divided into Kayou-kyoku (made by professional composition teams), Enka (inheriting traditional singing styles), and folk songs (mainly playing guitar). The rock band-type flow that originated in the 60s Beatles (called 'Group Sounds' in Japan) was broken down into the 70s and incorporated into Kayou-kyoku (because no one made a good song). Then she appeared. She was a type that had never existed in Japan before and was very fresh. Carole King, Joni Mitchell... may be similar types in Europe and America. Anyway, the theme and subject matter of the song was new and sophisticated sound (Haruomi Hosono, who will join Yello Magic Orchestra later, is playing the bass). She had a distinctive voice and singing ability was so-so, but her composition was exceptionally good. It's ordinally to listen to it now, but the other music felt really old and artificial at that time. She gains support, especially among the younger generation, but she has to wait two years until 1975 to climb the hit charts.
After that she got married and changed her name to Yumi Matsutoya and made a big achievement.Her most brilliant period was from 1973 to 1976, which coincided with the heyday of Quad, but Quad wasn't produced because she wasn't mainstream.I sometimes think, isn't the fact that music that really attracts people's attention like this didn't become Quad led to the decline of Japanese 4ch?
After a long-long time, when it was used as the theme song in Hayao Miyazaki's animated film in 2013, only this one song was remixed to 5.1. This is simple type, but iconic her song. And... it's a special song because it adds teenage sweet memory with first girlfriend!

Original
View attachment 75447

The Wind Rises is not my favorite Ghibli movie. But this is a beautiful song & I will have to look for more of Yumi's work. Thank you!

The Wind Rises is not my favorite Ghibli movie. But this is a beautiful song & I will have to look for more of Yumi's work. Thank you!
I agree, The Wind Rises was not as good as the other Ghibli movies. As you may know, Yumi's 2nd album contains the theme from "Kiki's Delivery Service".
If you have a chance, check other her songs out.

Last edited:
Sampled two songs from the discogs link, it is very nice. Of course i can't understand a word, but the music and the melody are excellent.
I have to second that....really liked the song and I too checked Discogs, for an album...I'm still kind of an album person...thank you for sharing Ichiro. Just as much, loved your father's schematic! It looks like something I have laying around amongst my quad documents and papers, articles, manuals, etc! Funny. I couldn't help myself, so I searched up all the Technics components and took a look at them....they were beauties! I appreciate the components / gear as much as the music...and the designs that go into them...and can relate to sketching the system up. I realize the Technics you no longer have, but remarkable that you do have that paperwork and a lot of the history.

1642953514751.png

@IchiroAnc , I should mention Hiromi Iwasaki has an excellent surround SACD & has been discussed before. Many thanks to @steelydave for pointing this out.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...8-japanese-quad-album-reissued-on-sacd.28950/
She is an excellent singer. I'm a big fan too. She doesn't write songs, but she has a great voice. Pandora's Box is nice. Annoyingly, I haven't bought the SACD yet! I'm definitely going to get it at some point, but right now I'd like to get 'Dear Friends (DVD-audio)'. I have CD. But I can't seem to find it. It's not listed on discogs.
TECN-30880.jpg
https://www.teichiku.co.jp/artist/iwasaki/discography/TECN-30880.html

Last edited:
I have to second that....really liked the song and I too checked Discogs, for an album...I'm still kind of an album person...thank you for sharing Ichiro. Just as much, loved your father's schematic! It looks like something I have laying around amongst my quad documents and papers, articles, manuals, etc! Funny. I couldn't help myself, so I searched up all the Technics components and took a look at them....they were beauties! I appreciate the components / gear as much as the music...and the designs that go into them...and can relate to sketching the system up. I realize the Technics you no longer have, but remarkable that you do have that paperwork and a lot of the history.
You're welcome.
It's nice and suprised by your interest in the technics documents and my dad's strange doodles.

Back