Hi-Rez Zep reissues available online now

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
www.highresdownloads.com are now offering the High Res versions of the Zeppelin reissues at £14/standard (no bonus disc) and £17 for both.
All supposed to be released todayu, although so far only LZ1 is there for purchase.
I am downloading it as I write this - watch this space for a detailed review of it, and whether or not they are worth the money.

www.highresdownloads.com are now offering the High Res versions of the Zeppelin reissues at £14/standard (no bonus disc) and £17 for both.
All supposed to be released todayu, although so far only LZ1 is there for purchase.
I am downloading it as I write this - watch this space for a detailed review of it, and whether or not they are worth the money.

I have rips of the Classic records 200G vinyls. Zep I sounds great. I wonder if the master tape actually sounds better? I could not imagine so. Do you have that version to compare to(CR)?

Last edited:
I have rips of the Classic records 200G vinyls. Zep I sounds great. I wonder if the master tape actually sounds better? I could not imagine so. Do you have that version to compare to(CR)?

I would've thought master tapes should sound better than any vinyl rip..

I would've thought master tapes should sound better than any vinyl rip..

Some would argue mastering is preferable to straight transfers? Not all tapes sound great. I would love some Zep SACDs.

Some would argue mastering is preferable to straight transfers? Not all tapes sound great. I would love some Zep SACDs.

To a point/in certain cases yes, I've heard supposedly flat t/fers that worked for me and some that didn't.. but even the best vinyl mastering will be hamstrung by the limitations of the LP format (low-end rolled off, etc..). I'd rather a well (re)mastered master tape over a vinyl rip any day.

To a point/in certain cases yes, I've heard supposedly flat t/fers that worked for me and some that didn't.. but even the best vinyl mastering will be hamstrung by the limitations of the LP format (low-end rolled off, etc..). I'd rather a well (re)mastered master tape over a vinyl rip any day.

Absolutely my friend. Our own Neil Wilkes has educated us on how a recording has to have its bass summed to one channel and re-equalized to match the LP lower dynamic range than the original 2.0 tape. Not to get Good Sir Keenly in a foul mood, but the whole premise that an LP record can sound better than the original 2.0 tape is kinda silly.

Tapes "mastered" for LP transfer were never meant to be heard, they were just used to facillitate the transfer to a different medium(plastic). Now if we can get our hands on a flat transfer
of the original 2.0 mixdown tape(provided it exists with good signal) then we would be in business. But I'd guess after all these years, the record company has already transferred to digital
the lowest 2.0 gen sources that exist. So from now on, the actual "masters" are digital sources. That should really piss off the vinyl record fan club. :yikes

Back