I am new here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asteroid4

Hello, just a quick introduction about me: a music lover since forever, quite a collector (above 1500 records), and a keen for multi-channel mixes. Lately I try to purchase Blu-ray editions when they are available, but I don't disdain DVD-Audio. Not a big fan of vinyl, I still have many of them but I can't stand anymore pops and cracks.

Thank you for reading me.

Welcome! This is a wonderful site - with so much to enjoy. One warning - this multi-channel hobby gets expensive fast! ;) There are now so many brilliant surround mixes out there - and the enthusiastic reviews from site contributors will be expanding your musical horizons rapidly too. At least, that is my experience. Enjoy!!

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. I consider myself not exactly naïve and I try to refrain from purchasing anything just because is multi-channel. If I have it already in a good stereo mix, I normally don't see the reason to spend money on a double just to to get the different mix. The only exceptions to date have been few releases from Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson, two hands are more than enough to count them.

Thanks again for the "alerts" ;)

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. I consider myself not exactly naïve and I try to refrain from purchasing anything just because is multi-channel. If I have it already in a good stereo mix, I normally don't see the reason to spend money on a double just to to get the different mix. The only exceptions to date have been few releases from Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson, two hands are more than enough to count them.

Welcome to QQ. I don’t know if you have the equipment to play SACD’s but, if you do, then the Dutton Vocalion site is a great place to check out. They have terrific prices on legacy quads from the 70’s that Michael Dutton does a first class job of transferring to digital.

I don’t know what your system configuration is but there are lots of threads here about Dolby Atmos releases. I’d say that, while the majority of them have enjoyable mixes, there are some that get less than enthusiastic reviews on the forum(i.e., YMMV). Also, some of the Atmos releases have had previous 5.1 releases that you may already have(Van Morrison’s Moondance album could be one example). Just another heads up. Anyway, post when you can and happy listening.

I’ll add my voice to those welcoming you to one of the most informative sites on the web.

If you try to keep up with the Joneses and GOSes, expect a budget of $500 most months, with some months being double that! FWIW, I’m way behind.

My vinyl collection is similar to yours in size - it’s in my avatar.

While everyone is going to be different on this, a lot of albums are a very different experience in multi-channel to me. I have most of the Pink Floyd multi-channel releases and they really do open up new dimensions and reveal things buried in the 2ch mix. I don't buy an album just because it has multi-channel, but I will certainly seek out music I enjoy and re-buy the multi-channel mix. To date I can't think of an example where I've regretted that.

The most recent example was Tears for Fears the Tipping Point. I had the hi-res 2ch download for about a year and finally found a copy of the limited SDE Atmos mix (done by Mr. Wilson). I was unprepared for just how amazing that mix sounds. There's simply no contest. It easily trounces the 2ch version.

I would definitely encourage seeking out the multi channel versions of albums you enjoy. No way to say which version you'll end up enjoying more, but I feel it's certainly worth the effort and expense.

I don’t know what your system configuration is but there are lots of threads here about Dolby Atmos releases. I’d say that, while the majority of them have enjoyable mixes, there are some that get less than enthusiastic reviews on the forum(i.e., YMMV). Also, some of the Atmos releases have had previous 5.1 releases that you may already have(Van Morrison’s Moondance album could be one example). Just another heads up. Anyway, post when you can and happy listening.
My configuration is on the old side: for the multi-channel (A/V), an old Denon AVR-2808 used also for DAC and DVD video upscaling purposes. It is 7.1 and DTS Master capable, no Atmos of course. For the classic stereo, an even older but always cool Marantz 1060, very vintage.

I do have a SACD/DVD-Audio player, an old Pioneer can't-remeber-the-model, but to be honest I have just one SACD, DSOTM by Pink Floyd, and I've never been into SACD really.

Thanks for all the other hints and warnings, appreciated (and annotated!)

While everyone is going to be different on this, a lot of albums are a very different experience in multi-channel to me. I have most of the Pink Floyd multi-channel releases and they really do open up new dimensions and reveal things buried in the 2ch mix. I don't buy an album just because it has multi-channel, but I will certainly seek out music I enjoy and re-buy the multi-channel mix. To date I can't think of an example where I've regretted that.
Funny, I started looking at multi-channel exactly because of the (in)famous DSOTM 4.0 mix, way before the proper/legal multi-channel. It's also my number 1 record, since forever.

The most recent example was Tears for Fears the Tipping Point. I had the hi-res 2ch download for about a year and finally found a copy of the limited SDE Atmos mix (done by Mr. Wilson). I was unprepared for just how amazing that mix sounds. There's simply no contest. It easily trounces the 2ch version.
I was not aware there was one, I love TfF but with SW I've frankly stopped following him closely since some time. He's budget-wreck and I had to stop it :LOL:

My configuration is on the old side: for the multi-channel (A/V), an old Denon AVR-2808 used also for DAC and DVD video upscaling purposes. It is 7.1 and DTS Master capable, no Atmos of course. For the classic stereo, an even older but always cool Marantz 1060, very vintage.

I do have a SACD/DVD-Audio player, an old Pioneer can't-remeber-the-model, but to be honest I have just one SACD, DSOTM by Pink Floyd, and I've never been into SACD really.

Thanks for all the other hints and warnings, appreciated (and annotated!)
Happy to help! You still may want to at least check out the offerings at the Dutton Vocalion website before totally dismissing the idea of buying SACD's. Just my 2 cents.

Back