I guess Radiohead isn't getting the Atmos treatment anytime soon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He also doesn't seem to understand that musically there is artistic merit in surround, and it makes me twitchy when a producer says you want to add overall compression - the loudness wars! Then maybe he just doesn't want people to hear what is buried in the stereo mix. I have often found the Radiohead albums to be a wall of sound which makes it difficult to discern what is going on! They would suit surround.

...it makes me twitchy when a producer says you want to add overall compression - the loudness wars!
I think he's talking about mix bus compression rather than mastering compression, which - so long as you're careful - can be a powerful tool in adding cohesion and 'punch' to the overall result.

He also doesn't seem to understand that musically there is artistic merit in surround, and it makes me twitchy when a producer says you want to add overall compression - the loudness wars! Then maybe he just doesn't want people to hear what is buried in the stereo mix. I have often found the Radiohead albums to be a wall of sound which makes it difficult to discern what is going on! They would suit surround.
Exactly my thoughts, it seems just no matter how much you turn it up the nuance is just veiled behind this wall.

Apparently a lot of OK Computer was recorded live and mixed directly to stereo, meaning no multitracks ever existed.

I think he's talking about mix bus compression rather than mastering compression, which - so long as you're careful - can be a powerful tool in adding cohesion and 'punch' to the overall result.
yes, i'm sure it's a drag for some folk but there are too many examples of good mixes to say there aren't ways around it.

he comes across as an uninitiated prick with zero interest in putting in the effort to carefully listen to a cross-section of music in Surround, different genres, mixed by different Engineers and so on.

he heard one track in 5.1 and hated it and that was it, he hung Surround out to dry.

that said, honestly, i think the 5.1 of Rumours possibly wasn't the best place to start with a demo for a "Surround skeptic", in a number of places it barely resembles the original...

just for quick illustrative purposes, i'll add that when i first heard a vintage Quad (sometime in the v.early 2000's idk when exactly) i didn't actually know it was Quad at first but at the time i was like "eh?? wtf is this?" and thought it was a load of old balls, especially compared to the AC-3 stuff i had on LaserDisc up until that point. the Rears were too loud, there was stuff happening back there that seemed out of place, i don't know, it all felt unnatural and out of whack and i thought "well if this is Surround Music you can count me out, its shit!" 😅😂

then i got the Queen DVD-A
and boom! 🤯 it showed me straight away how hugely different one Surround Music presentation could be from another (i wasn't even thinking in terms like "mix" and had absolutely no idea about mix differences at that point) and well that spurred me on to try more DVD-A's (in DVD-V only to begin with) and then went back and got 1 or 2 DTS CDs when i got DTS decoding. soon i was finding all sorts of variety in how Surround was approached for Music by different artists, labels, types of Music and well, here we are! 🤭

now he's Nigel Godrich big shot Producer and i'm totally Nigel No-one but still, you get the point.. if i'd only ever heard that one Quad mix that i absolutely hated 20+ years ago (i can't even remember what it was now! 🤦‍♀️ ) i wouldn't be here boring your brains out now!!

so, erm.. count yourselves seriously unlucky that some of us are so persistent and don't give up at the first hurdle like Nigel bloody Godrich, ok!!! 😂

Nigel just needs that helping hand. . . .
1663739486098.png

i just read this,from 5 days ago

This person said that s/he is enjoying the Radiohead ATMOS mixes
Is this true or a troll?

level 1
5ivecolors
·
5 days ago
I thoroughly enjoy all of the Atmos remixes of Radiohead. There's something to be said for hearing an album that you know back-and-forth and you're able to hear it in a different way for the first time in 20 or 30 years.

Back