I Saw Journey Heart Cheap Trick

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Tonight at the First Midwest Amphitheater me and the misses caught these three.

Cheap Trick opened and played for about 45 minutes and included the hits and even a few should have been hits like "I Can't Take It" and "California Man". Jonathan Cain and Deen Castronovo of Journey came out and played with CT for "Surrender" and "Dream Police" too. Not bad.

Heart was stellar!!! They just rocked the place for a 60 minute set that included a flawless version of the Who's "Love Reign O'er Me". At 58 years old Ann Wilson is still in incredible voice. She hit every high note as if it were 1976 and better even than Roger Daltrey if ya ask me. They also did "Going To california" as well as a show chock full o' hits. The band sounds totally excellent. They would have been worth the price of admission alone.

Journey (IMO) is now a Journey cover band. They sound great and I recommend if they come to your town to check them out but the days of Steve Perry are looooong gone. The new lead singer is a Filipino named Arnel Pineda and while, for the most part, he sounds like Steve Perry he doesn't have the charisma and nautral soul that Steve Perry had. Plus at times his Filipino accent kicks in while singing. The big surprise was songlist choices. They played "Feeling That Way/Anytime" followed by "La Do Da" from "Infinity". I have seen Journey many times (maybe 6 or 7) and they have never played these songs live. Another big surprise was drummer Deen Castronovo singing lead on "Keep On Runnin". This is a really fast song with tons of fills and Deen sang every note in a voice that sounded exactly like Steve Perry. I was amazed. All the hits and a few new tracks from their new album "Revelation" were included too. They played for about 1 hour and 45 minutes

This may be one of my last concerts though. I just can't see paying $125 a ticket (plus fees) and then having to stand for the entire show while people check their cell phones and talk at the top of the lungs to each other.

Oh, one other thing. If you happen to check this show out, bring ear plugs because this one goes to 11... or maybe even 13. I have seen loud shows before but this one was waaaaaayyyy louder. Or maybe it's just me getting waaaayyyyy older. Anyway... I recommend this show to fans of these bands. I had lots of fun even with the idiots!

The music market (and tastes) has changed; bands have shifted their emphasis to more live work as their primary source of income. As the labels fade in clout and reduced ability (or willingness) to invest in bands, companies like Live Nation step in and coordinate the artist's tour details, merchandising and potentially the recorded products offered. These are the new labels.

I love live shows but it's tough anymore; I'm still good with the volume but the yayhoo factor is getting pretty high anymore...

Fine review, Bob! Your take on Journey mirrors that of a friend who saw them recently and felt that, like you, the new singer was hired because he could pull off a fair approximation of Steve Perry, but that the song selection was at times unusual. He also bitched about the prices, which I understand, although it should be remembered three acts had to share, so you basically got each one for a little over $40 each.

It should be mentioned that the reason for these tours is often because these bands are geriatric, and no longer a commercial force with best-selling singles and albums, and therefore, most of their income (song royalties notwithstanding)come from touring; also, they may simply dig doing it. Like the Moody Blues (who tour alone and at midlevel venues, no big arenas), many acts that still have a very deep and loyal (and mostly, though not exclusively, older) fan base would appear to be able to tour as long as they're able and willing. But it definitely ain't gettin' any cheaper to go, and of course travel expenses and food tally to even more scratch.

ED :)

Did Journey play "Kohoutek"? Just kidding of course....

Rick

Here in Spain concerts can range from 23 € (Living Colour next weeek in a Club/Disco-with stage-formerly called "Arena"-where I also saw Derringer in June; it's great cause since it's small you can bug the artists for autographs at the exit, got Rick's and Vinnie's...)

..to 80 € for Sir Paul '03 (also Roger Waters '07) in BCN's Palau St. Jordi ...

but most are within the 30-50 € range -there were 3 consecutive weeks(on Thursday) this year in Conde Duque in Madrid which were ;

-Crowded house-great show and awesome sound
-Return to Forever- Fine, but Al was bitchy-although Stanley blew me away with his upright solo-but...HORRIBLE sound!!!
-Zappa plays Zappa- ahh, Dweezil ripping thru his Dad's stuff, mind blowing!

I almost agree with the Frippster in that people should be kicked out of the venue if they start taking Flash Photos (people are SOOOO STUPID!!!)...or even the kind of earthlings that record it with their phone(?)...
I get really pissed *ff with these....

Anyway,

Saw Journey 2 years ago in Madrid with Jeff Scott Soto as the "main" singer (Deen was incredible too-singing "Faithfully" perfectly!) and they blew me away- they kicked off with "Rubicon" and played an excellent show. Neal was kinda freaked out , though...don't know why..
Jeff was the best replacement singer as far as I've seen (Augeri was OK, but had no balls and the Arnel guy, "wellll..." -like Samantha from Bewitched used to say...)
Jeff had an incredible prescence and he gave the songs some "Oomph!" , something that they needed, but, alas , it was too good to be true...besides , he's a good looking guy, which always helps...

Heart I have seen in San Juan in the Hiram Bithorn Stadium in...'82???and the Centrum in Philly with John Cougar who played "hurts so good" twice('82) ---was smitten with Ann- always thought she was beautiful and I like big girls too (she's a bit too big now, though)- and always remember Nancy posing onstage playing her Ovation wearing her boots and the Caribbean wind caressing her hair...ooofff! ohh them memories....

Cheap Trick I saw for the first time in SJ (HB Stadium) in 1981 during their "All shook up" Tour with a very elaborate stage show and Mr. Pete Comita on Bass (he actually was a more proficient player than Rick, but ah, we love Rick!)...still have the ticket stub! Later I saw them in SJ with Jon Brandt on bass , but funnily enough I have never seen them with Tom P....they played 4 years ago in Madrid but it just so happened that I had a GIG that same day...dang!...

Yes, live shows are it right now, and my take on them is that it's going to be the most important source of income for artists/groups, old or new , until the whole "free music thru Internet shebang" is solved in some way or another....

BTW, the loudest show I've ever been in was Living Colour in Madrid in 1991- not even the napkins I stuffed in my ears helped!

G
:smokin

I saw Heart earlier this year.
Awesome show
They did Love Reign O'er Me at this show too and I was blown away.
I had no idea they play this song but I shouldn't have been surprised because it seems tailor made for Ann.

And Ann's voice.
It's an amazing force of nature.
I saw an outdoor show at Empire Stadium in the late 70's and I swear she sounds just as good now, maybe better.

I read a review of the show I saw in the Chicago Tribune. The reviewer basically said the same thing I did however he didn't even mention Cheap Trick at all. It's a sad thing that they seem to be going through the motions now. I still enjoyed them but Rick Neilsen seemed to be more interested in flinging picks out to the crowd than playing tightly. He must have flicked about 50 to 75 picks in a 45 minute show. Robin Zander still sounds exactly the same though.

If you want to see Heart do some nice covers, check out the "Dreamboat Annie" live DVD. They do the entire album and then do some of their favorite covers including "Love Reign O'er Me" and "Goodbye Blue Sky" from Pink Floyd as well as some others.

I just noticed Steve Perry has a new pre order release, October 5th. I got it, love his voice, and hoping for a good CD. CDJapan also has a SHM CD of the same. Cool art work on the cover.

Good catch here...what a voice...he WAS Journey...after he left they were just a regional band...I wonder why he was dormant for so long...he's 69 now...I wonder if the "pipes" are still good....I hope he's not one of these guys that come out of retirement and is terrible...I remember seeing Journey in their prime with the Rolling Stones and George Thorogood and the Destroyers in the stadium in Philly...great concert...

Good catch here...what a voice...he WAS Journey...after he left they were just a regional band...I wonder why he was dormant for so long...he's 69 now...I wonder if the "pipes" are still good....I hope he's not one of these guys that come out of retirement and is terrible...I remember seeing Journey in their prime with the Rolling Stones and George Thorogood and the Destroyers in the stadium in Philly...great concert...
You don't have to wonder:

Back