I was Joe Consumer for a day.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr. simple

Not really a doctor...
QQ Supporter
To My Surroundy Friends...

I found myself thrust into a set of circumstances yesterday that left me with a first-hand perspective of Joe Consumer.

My PC died. Literally - it simply went to sleep and never woke up. So after checking with some friends I bought an Acer laptop.

I, like many of you, have refused to get involved with the HD video format war, but my new laptop has a Blu-ray drive and my purchase included two free Blu-ray discs. As I looked at these discs I thought to myself, "They got me into this with no effort from me whatsoever. No wonder discrete surround didn't catch on - there's too much hardware to set up."

So then I found myself reading about the sound options on my new computer. The manual states, "Surround yourself with sound, not speakers."

So my day as Joe Consumer made me realize that Joe is a man on the move and simply can't be bothered with setting up speakers all around the room. Make it easy so I don't have to work at it, and I'll buy your product!

Just my two cents. I'm glad I'm not Joe, though, because he's never sat in the middle of the LAGQ!

Paul

If your pc died it was probally your power supply, 80% of the time thats all it is.

The manual states, "Surround yourself with sound, not speakers.
What is the deal with making speakers seem like something embarrassing to have in one's living spaces? :( I know advertisers of products like this are expected to use such tactics but it's very common to talk to and read about regular people expressing a major aversion to speakers.

One thing that might help cause this is something Ive whined about here before :) and that is how ugly so many speakers are nowadays, with many having "hi-tech" styling, rather than soemthing that actually looks nice and blends into a room's decor.

What is the deal with making speakers seem like something embarrassing to have in one's living spaces? :( I know advertisers of products like this are expected to use such tactics but it's very common to talk to and read about regular people expressing a major aversion to speakers.

One thing that might help cause this is something Ive whined about here before :) and that is how ugly so many speakers are nowadays, with many having "hi-tech" styling, rather than soemthing that actually looks nice and blends into a room's decor.

Frisky Dingo:

I agree. I like big speakers for a home system. In this case I do believe “bigger is better”. My JBL B460 sub-woofer is literally a piece of furniture. I don’t believe those tiny “BOSE” type speaker systems reproduce music with the same detail (I am trying not to get audiophile metaphysical here) that a big three-way speaker will.

Justin

Back